BUYER BEWARE!!!

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

BUYER BEWARE!!!

Post by Aaron »

Most of us will be purchasing a PSP in order to play Lunar Silver Star Harmony. Let me warn you. The thing is FRAGILE!

I totally smashed my LCD screen. It was an epic failure. I put it on the floor beside my bed (because I like to play at night or listen to podcasts) well...when I got up CRUNCH!

There went the screen. Luckly, I found a replacement screen on Amazon for $44. Replacing it was fun, but it is not an experience I recommend. My PSP is as good as new now, but I just wanted to remind everyone that PSP breakage could happen to you. I now have an old tin can that I put the PSP in by my night stand. In addition I bought a protective sleeve (to protect against scratches).

I wish I had pictures, but I don't have a digital camera. But the crack was a massive spider vein that sprouted out through the start button.

Anyway, invest the $5-10 to keep your $200 dollar investment safe. It's worth it!

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Re: BUYER BEWARE!!!

Post by Werefrog »

Wait... you stepped on it... what did you think would happen to it?

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

I remember telling myself that I would remember it was on the floor. But...alas...I killed it. haha!

Quark
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Quark »

Yeah dude, I wouldn't call that fragile. I would just expect a screen to crack if it were stepped on. :P

Quark
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Quark »

:lol: These things happen I suppose.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Aaron wrote:I remember telling myself that I would remember it was on the floor. But...alas...I killed it. haha!
You could also invest in a night table. That would help as well.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

If it was a Slim model I'm surprised the thing didn't totally die.

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

Well it is pretty fragile. It's a huge design flaw. When compared to the Nintendo DS you can drop it every way, and as long as the DS is closed then the screens remain untouched. I have almost no scratched on my DS, except for the Stylus area.

The PSP on the other hand is very light, seemingly easier to bend, therefore making it easier to crack the LCD screen. The funny thing is that the faceplate on my PSP didn't crack when I stepped on it, it was the LCD screen underneath that did. That makes me think its a lot more fragile then it should be...can you imagine if you dropped an Ipod and the screen shattered? That's practically what can happen to the PSP.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Yeah, the unfortunate design of the PSP is that there is nothing protecting the screen. My DS screens are fine, but the outside clamshell has those superficial surface scratches even cleaning with a microfiber cloth. It's also black, so of course it's easy to cover the damn thing in fingerprints and you'll see every blemish. That's the worst part of anything covered in piano gloss black.

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

I have a 3000 model. I don't know if that is considered slim.

liquidpolicenaut
Red Dragon Priest

Post by liquidpolicenaut »

I don't think the PSP is THAT fragile but I agree that there is nothing to protect the screen that well from scuffs.

With that being said...seriously Aaron, you put the thing on the floor right where you get out of bed!! It's like me saying I left my DS by the bathroom sink and somehow it got wet! You must take better care of your stuff young man or no more systems for you!!!
Visit my Youtube site!!
LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

2000 and 3000 models are part of the Slim line. Original 1000 line models are thicker.

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by whitedragon_nall »

You should invest in a Logitech Playgear Pocket Slim PSP case. My 2000 is in great condition because of it. The PSP can be charged in case, played in case, and has removable rubber inserts so you can decorate it with your favorite art! I've dropped mine before and the PSP remains undamaged. Probably the best protection you can get for the PSP.

OK....I'm starting to sound like a salesman.

Snipes101
Nanza Bandit

Post by Snipes101 »

Well lol the PSP ISN'T THAT FRAGILE lol, but the screen is hard to protect from nicks and scratches. And toughs plastic add-on cases are to fat and make it harder to put(my slim) in my pocket.

But their is replacement screens and/or full house cases around for only $5-10 dollars.

I just bought a new full house piano black from my psp(2 years later), and it looks brand new with it.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Erm, I like to see someone step on the DS and tell me that its screen didn't break. LCDs are fragile regardless of what its in. Laptops, phones, MP3 players, TVs, Monitors, portable gaming devices... trust me, they all break the same. All it takes to break an LCD panel is a very small bend, so pressure that can come from anywhere.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I also bought a Logitech Playgear Pocket Slim for my PSP 3000. The template for using skins on the rubber insert has a rough edge on the one side (defect) so I don't think I'll be creating any templates for it. It is a good case, and hell I never even bought a case for my DS like I wanted to.

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

I've dropped my psp a few times (5-10), always while it was charging, either me or one of my cats would get tangled up in the charger cord no matter where it was and it would fall. Almost every time the battery popped out, but lucky no broken or scratched screen yet, every time i would fear i broke it.
I'm definitely alot more careful with my PSP then my DS, besides the dropping thing, which was caused by bad luck, since it all happened with in 3 months and hasn't been dropped in a long time

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Nintendo tries to design their handhelds to take a beating. If you compare any other handheld, they're all fragile by comparison: Atari Lynx, Game Gear, and PSP (I've actually owned all three of these... ....I don't recommend a Lynx, by the way, that thing was crap).

It's true, though. When you're used to being able to toss a DS in your back and not worry about it breaking, well, it's extra effort to be more careful with a PSP. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

In the process of carting my PSP around Magfest (first edition PSP) I dropped the thing from varied pocket distances no less than eight times (Kizyr can vouch) before I decided to let it have its freedom and stay home. It still worked.

I dunno, maybe its just the new PSPs that suck balls.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Why the hell were you carting your PSP around Magfest? I would think there would be enough going on there to keep you occupied, or were you bored?

It seems to me like your PSP needed to be attached to a very short bungee cord, complete with harnass. 8-)