PS3 Question

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
MiaOne
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

PS3 Question

Post by MiaOne »

Hey guys!

So my roommate has a PS3 and it's been awesome. I've been watching Netflix Instant Streaming and catching up on video games since I moved...yessss. But, that's beside the point...about a week or so ago my roommate updated his system to the 3.15 version and now the PS3 will not play any of the Netflix Instant Streaming titles nor any of our Blu-Ray disks.

Anyone else having this problem? It's ruining my life. :evil:
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Alex_Pwns_Hiro
Red Dragon Priest

Re: PS3 Question

Post by Alex_Pwns_Hiro »

hmm, thats weird. I have updated and I have no problem with Nexflix or Blu Ray. I have also had my system for 3 years.
BTW, Go get Uncharted 2. Best game out right now.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

MiaOne, does your roomie have a 60GB model? Some of the older models don't take well to the newer updates. If they can use a thumb/flash drive or an external hard drive I recommend backing up the saves on the system. The external drive would first have to be formatted, and then configured to FAT32. This is easiest by using a MAC to format the drive and configuring it if you're using a USB enclosure.

The only other advice I can give is contacting Sony, because the blu-ray laser itself could have died. Hopefully you get some help, because if it needs to be fixed all of the information on the harddrive may be wiped if they still send the system back. Otherwise he/she will end up paying for a $129 120GB PS3 Slim as a replacement.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

Silver Phoenix wrote:MiaOne, does your roomie have a 60GB model? Some of the older models don't take well to the newer updates. If they can use a thumb/flash drive or an external hard drive I recommend backing up the saves on the system. The external drive would first have to be formatted, and then configured to FAT32. This is easiest by using a MAC to format the drive and configuring it if you're using a USB enclosure.

The only other advice I can give is contacting Sony, because the blu-ray laser itself could have died. Hopefully you get some help, because if it needs to be fixed all of the information on the harddrive may be wiped if they still send the system back. Otherwise he/she will end up paying for a $129 120GB PS3 Slim as a replacement.
He just bought it, he has the slim model. I was peeking around other forums and I did run into a guy who was having the same exact problem we were so that's why I assumed it was the update, but besides that one guy on that one forum it looks like this problem is kind of rare. Getting my roommate to CARE enough to call Sony to have this taken care of is one thing. He can live without Netflix Instant Streaming, I pay for it and he only has one Blu-Ray DVD. Ungh!!! Looks like I won't be watching Netflix until I get the Wii instant streaming disk. :(

Alex_pwns_Hiro,
He has Uncharted 2. I pretty much watched him play the whole thing I don't think I need to play it anymore haha.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

If he just got it then it's still under warranty. He should take it back to the store to get it replaced, or call Sony. He'd be stupid to sit and waste time while it's under warranty.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

Silver Phoenix wrote:If he just got it then it's still under warranty. He should take it back to the store to get it replaced, or call Sony. He'd be stupid to sit and waste time while it's under warranty.
Well we've been sitting on a busted modem (he bought the modem) that is incapable of getting the full internet power that we pay for for about 4 months now :roll: ...But, I'll let him know. Thanks!

liquidpolicenaut
Red Dragon Priest

Post by liquidpolicenaut »

I don't know what the problem is either. I bought my 60GB PS3 on launch day and have had no problems to date including with the new update. I tried the Netflix disc and everything seemed to work ok...
Visit my Youtube site!!
LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos