What Are You Currently Playing?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Zero
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: What Are You Currently Playing?

Post by Zero »

I played Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes and FFX HD pretty much all day yesterday. I finished the main mission in Ground Zeroes in just about 3 1/2 hours, but that was playing very stealthily and kinda sorta searching for XOF patches and just playing around with the game mechanics in general. But I went right back to it after putting a few hours into FFX. Overall I'm happy with my GZ purchases (I got it for both PS4 and Xbone) and I think it'll keep me entertained for a quite a while since I usually try to do everything in Metal Gear games, being that it's my favorite videogame franchise.

Revisiting FFX has been a delightful blast from the past. Story-wise, it's my favorite FF title. The game holds up really well and I've fallen in love with the soundtrack all over again. I plan on putting another big chunk of time into it later today. Here's to hoping for more art book packed games from Square in the future; I really dig those. On a side note: Seeing how well X came out in HD makes me very hopeful for a XII remaster.

I've also been playing Titanfall. Save for the framerate drops and screen tearing, I find it a very enjoyable experience despite the fact that I feel like I suck at it. The only FP shooters I've ever been good at (and I don't play many) are Halo and GoldenEye.
I'll take a potato chip... and EAT IT!

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

Djinn Xpert wrote: Revisiting FFX has been a delightful blast from the past.
Man, that's kind of crazy to read. Hard to believe that game is over 12 years old.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I'm playing Europa Universalis IV in a weekly game with friends. It is an early modern geopolitical simulator. Or, to put it less drily, you control a country and try to amass power, wealth, and territory. I control the Ottomans, in a player triumverate with the Mumlaks (Egypt and the Levant) and the Mughals (Persian Gulf and Central Asia). Our Catholic player opponents have all fallen save Portugal - meanwhile I'm in a close arms war with a rapidly arming Russia, the formidable navies of Spain and England, and the strong armies of Austria and France. (It's 1590 right now in the game.)

I also picked up Banished, which is an excellent town simulator. Imagine the first Sim City, with the character of being designed by a single designer. Then, instead of modern metropolises, imagine building a town in the wilderness using pre-industrial technology. Make managing the food supply into a key and urgent practice in the game, and producing resources (wood, stone, iron, and more complex goods) vital to success. It is great fun, especially as the initial fight to survive turns into the larger but still difficult goal of educating people, expanding, and building an infrastructure to stave off disaster and starvation.

Finally, Bravely Default. I've slowed down on progress with this game with a long sidequest in book 4. I love the job system, even if the costumes are often absurd. The story is hitherto great. I have heard it soon turns into a grind fest. I'm okay with this.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Imperial Knight wrote:
Man, that's kind of crazy to read. Hard to believe that game is over 12 years old.
Yep, thanks for my very first: "I am old" moments

Zero
Student of Vane

Post by Zero »

Imperial Knight wrote:
Yes I agree wholeheartedly. Time really flies by the older you get.

Picked up the limited edition of inFAMOUS: Second Son yesterday. This is probably the most fun I've had on my PS4 yet, and I've had some good fun. The vibrant color and reflections in this game are both really impressive. I'd be blown away if those puddles splashed when I ran through 'em, though. Actually, who am I kidding... I'm still blown away. I feel like this is the best looking game on the new systems so far. Well, Ground Zeroes looks really good, too, but in a different way.
I'll take a potato chip... and EAT IT!

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I'm all about the JRPGs on the 3DS right now. I'm quickly nearing the end of Bravely Default, and I'm having an absolute blast with it. The endgame is a bit repetitive (I won't spoil how, as the writing's actually pretty good, despite a rather glaring idiot plot towards the end), but I'm finding that it allows me to get more creative with team builds, experimenting with some of the more offbeat jobs like the Performer and Vampire. Also, the village rebuilding minigame is an awesome way to incorporate the gameplay of modern "idle" games like Farmville without compromising the standard turn-based gameplay that I've always loved. It really is a great throwback to the 16 bit era of JRPGs, and I think any Lunar fan should give it a whirl.

I also picked up Shin Megami Tensei IV based on all the positive reviews it's received and the fact that it's on sale on the eShop right now. I've only dipped into it a bit, and I'm enjoying the more mature tone than is typically found in JRPGs, but the monster-capturing aspect of it is a bit more... Pokemon-esque than I realized going into it. (Really, I've tried to get into Pokemon twice now, once with White and more recently with Y, and I just... can't. I get that they're well-made games, but I'm a 31 year old man with a full time job, and I'm just not going to put forth the effort it would require to remember the elemental types of hundreds of different cartoon mascots, nor which of those 18 different elements are weak to each other. At one point I was resorting to playing Y with my laptop open to a searchable Pokedex and a weakness chart, before I realized just how silly it was and I gave up entirely. Sorry, Pokemon, but you're not for me.) Anyways, I'm gonna give SMT4 my all once I'm totally finished with Bravely Default, but we'll have to see if it actually holds my attention or not.

It should also be said that I'm also in love with the various puzzle games available on the eShop. Foremost is the various Picross games, they're just fantastic. Tappingo is a more recent game in a similar vein and it was a $3 purchase that I happily blew through in the space of a couple days.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Werefrog wrote:
Imperial Knight wrote:
Yep, thanks for my very first: "I am old" moments

It only gets worse from here, let me tell you.

Finshed Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy and since then have been playing... Street Pass games on my 3DS. Yeah. Spouse and I started briefly on Lightning Returns but haven't had time since then due to work and cat busy-ness.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Djinn Xpert wrote:Revisiting FFX has been a delightful blast from the past. Story-wise, it's my favorite FF title.
:lol: I needed that.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I still haven't picked up another game since I finished Grandia over two months ago (or was it three months? I can't remember now...). Just... no time for anything.

Next on my list is either Tales of Eternia, or Tokimeki Memorial 2. I finally have a Japanese PSX so I don't have to emulate it on my laptop. I just haven't actually put it to use yet. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

My sister visited me briefly a couple of weeks ago and started Okami HD while she was here, so I've been continuing that. Last night literally made myself sick from the camera motion. That doesn't usually happen when I'm the one doing the playing, at least not as far as actually throwing up. Sigh. Still in my very favoritest game ever category, but I should probably take hints from my body a bit sooner; my stomach was already uneasy.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I haven't played and RPG in years, truthfully. I think I re-played EBC about 2 years ago. But I got an iPhone 2 weeks ago so I finally got to try Lunar Silver Star Story Touch. Maybe it's the fact that I haven't played it in ages, but I'm really enjoying it. It'll tide me over until Mario Kart 8 comes out!
-G1

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Just finished Ar nosurge. Too much unnecessary sexy stuff, but otherwise a solid title. Definitely better than Ar Tonelico 3 was.
-Nobi

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

I got Mario Kart 8 =D
In my life I only ever got into Super Mario Kart as a kid, and it was my favorite game evar. I totally skipped every game in the series after that, for some reason...
But Mario Kart 8 is the one that captured me again! This game is beautiful and awesome!!!!!!
10/10

Now that Mario Kart has my attention again, I've gotten to play the others too. Mario Kart 7 is also 10/10!!

:lol: Having been spoiled rotten by Lunar, I often complain about other games' visuals, music, gameplay, etc... Not this time.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

jay_are wrote:I got Mario Kart 8 =D
In my life I only ever got into Super Mario Kart as a kid, and it was my favorite game evar. I totally skipped every game in the series after that, for some reason...
But Mario Kart 8 is the one that captured me again! This game is beautiful and awesome!!!!!!
10/10

Now that Mario Kart has my attention again, I've gotten to play the others too. Mario Kart 7 is also 10/10!!

:lol: Having been spoiled rotten by Lunar, I often complain about other games' visuals, music, gameplay, etc... Not this time.
Honestly, Luigi's Death Stare is the one thing that could convince me to get a Wii U and Mario Kart 8. It's the best thing to happen to the game since 3-dimensional tracks. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Kizyr wrote:Honestly, Luigi's Death Stare is the one thing that could convince me to get a Wii U and Mario Kart 8. It's the best thing to happen to the game since 3-dimensional tracks. KF
Looool, that stare. Honestly, I don't know why exactly Luigi's death stare got so popular. It's only 1 of the many fun things you notice in the game! Everyone does something cool. You can watch replays in slow motion and see how detailed each character has interesting reactions. Some characters have this vicious look when they throw shells.
I think almost everything is just as great as that stare, so I'm not exactly sure why that particular move is the one that became popular!
I even like the Mii voices!

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

jay_are wrote:Looool, that stare. Honestly, I don't know why exactly Luigi's death stare got so popular. It's only 1 of the many fun things you notice in the game! Everyone does something cool. You can watch replays in slow motion and see how detailed each character has interesting reactions. Some characters have this vicious look when they throw shells.
I think almost everything is just as great as that stare, so I'm not exactly sure why that particular move is the one that became popular!
I even like the Mii voices!
It's because after years and years of Luigi constantly being the subject of mockery, he's finally getting his revenge. I mean even if you have that same look on any other character -- Mario, Bowser, Toad -- it just doesn't have the same impact. It's because he's such an underrated character that it works out so well.

I mean, when was the last time you picked Luigi? Nobody picks Luigi. Baby Luigi gets more playtime than regular Luigi. The only time anything ever went right for him was when he and Peach got together at the end of The Super Mario Bros. movie, and that can't be counted just by virtue of everything else about the movie being so terrible.

...seriously though, I'm not kidding about the death glare being a major factor in possibly getting a Wii U (Zelda being the other). I was completely writing it off until now. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Kizyr wrote:I mean, when was the last time you picked Luigi? Nobody picks Luigi.
Hmmmmmm..............................................................
You're right. I haven't picked Luigi in a long time.
The last good thing for him that I remember is ... The year of Luigi (lol)
Whem they made things that focused on him more, like the Mario & Luigi Dream Team on 3DS and New Super Luigi U.

Mario Kart 8 was the main reason I got the Wii U. And yes, other reasons being my faith for Zelda (which wasn't announced until now) and actually I've really enjoyed New SMB. U! It's a beautiful looking game with creativity in the level designs. So now I'm glad to play other Super Mario games too

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

Kizyr wrote:I mean, when was the last time you picked Luigi? Nobody picks Luigi.
My Boyfriend ALWAYS picks Luigi, he has an official Luigi hat he wears and everything, and another friend of mine also always picks Luigi. Luckly they haven't played any Mario games together so their hasn't been a fight over him yet, but it would be kind of interesting to see.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

To be fair, I actually own a Luigi wii mote!
These wiimotes together are just beautiful to me for some reason.
I actually went a little outta my way to get that when I did, So I guess I have picked something Luigi at least :P

http://alwaysnintendo.com/wp-content/up ... roller.jpg

In Mario Kart 8 I actually have picked Luigi, but only cause I went to pick everyone just to try them all, and not because of personal preference. I'll have to pick him more now after this chat. Thanks Kyzir!!

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

We have the Luigi wiimote too, i was trying to make sure my boyfriend didn't see it so i could get it for him for Christmas (i think it was) but he saw it and bought it.