Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Final Night
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

Post by Final Night »

I missed this back on the PSX (which seems odd since I did pick up some now rare titles when they first came out... like Suikoden I and II), so I finally found the remake used at a GameStop and picked it up.

It's hard to believe I was missing out on it! I'm still in Chapter 1 but I'm enjoying this so far.

Anyone else play this? Anyone play both? Differences?
† Final Night †

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

I missed out on the original PSX version myself, but I bought Lenneth with my PSP. Or shortly after, I can't recall. This was two years ago.

And I've yet to get past chapter one. Every time I start the game, something distracts me for a couple of weeks. Usually classwork. And every time I pick the game back up, I start a new game because I didn't get very far anyway. Repeat.

The little I have played I've enjoyed immensely, but I think my copy might be cursed. Lemme know how it is.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

I made it to the second disc of the PSX version and then my Playstation broke, i got a fresh on a few days ago but i don't have a power cord for it I guess the slim model ps1's have different power cords. But i was really having a blast with the game, Enix RPG's have never failed to impress me. The combat system was awesome it definitely made battle more enjoyable instead of most RPGs where I cringe in horror every time a random battle begins. the graphics were top notch and I liked being able to choose my characters and examining my progress between rounds.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

The differences between the two versions are negligible, though I do miss the original intro. ^.^; Basically, everything's the same except for some cleaned up text and the FMVs. The original only had two (opening and ending), and both were in an anime style. The new one has several, all CG. I totally love the one with Jelanda at the beginning, too. Craziness. Anyway, even the voice acting is the same aside from the stuff that's in the new FMVs, but it was always somewhat passable to begin with. There were also some minor changes made to the North American PSX localization (notification of weapon type change for Lenneth, etc.) that were not carried over to the PSP localization. But yeah, it's pretty much all the same otherwise.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

Lunar Eclipse wrote:There were also some minor changes made to the North American PSX localization (notification of weapon type change for Lenneth, etc.) that were not carried over to the PSP localization. But yeah, it's pretty much all the same otherwise.
My understanding is that they ported the Japanese PSX version to PSP without any of the improvements given to the NA PSX version. Which is silly, you'd think they'd port the version with more features. After all, Nintendo did when they ported Mother 1 and 2 to the GBA.

Karthur
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Karthur »

A friend of mine gave me VP:L a few years ago and I loved it. The concept was unique and though I had a heck of a time in Lezard's tower (got lost A LOT) it was a really entertaining game.

I rather liked VP2:Silmeria, too. It worked well on the PS2 and the graphics were stunning.

I can't tell you about the differences b/c I haven't played the PSP port...

I do love Lezard, though.
Insane death nerd for the win...
"Even if I close my eyes the world will not disappear." -- Mathiu Silverberg, Suikoden I

brightshield
Red Dragon Priest

Post by brightshield »

Both versions are nearly identical. VP is a great game, and is extremely unique as well. It's one of the only two tri-ace games that I actually like(the other being Star Ocean 2).

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Valkyrie-Profile-Pl ... 45f33bf958

Every once in a while I check ebay to see if sealed copies of VP are up, and they still are. For the last 2 years the cheapest sealed copy I've found is +$300, so it's a lot cheaper to get the PSP port, or a used PSX copy for around $50.

It's a really great game, and I love the voiceovers especially. Even the battle voices don't bother me, which is rare because I usually hate them, but the yelling during the overkills is great. In the beginning I really love: "I am Freya! Recall the name on your journey to hell!" ...and the way it's delivered so aggressively, yet calmly. It reminds me of Samuel L. Jackson's Bible passage in Pulp Fiction when he says: "...and you will know I am the lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee!"

Although one thing to keep in mind on the first playthrough is that the time you have during each period is really precious, and it really helps to have multiple saves in case you need to go back and use your time differently, or if you recruit too many people instead of building the ones you have, or if you build up the wrong person and have to go back to prep someone else, or if you visit too many places and just run out of time. ...it just helps to have a rotation of saves going :) Once you get the hang of the game's flow it gets easier, but in the beginning it can be tough to balance it all out.