Final Fantasy IX is one of the best games I've ever played

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Final Fantasy IX is one of the best games I've ever played

Post by Kizyr »

Jenner and me just finished FF9 on Sunday.

Oh man. The entire game was so good, and the ending made me cry.

I won't go into details, but FF9 is now one of my favorite games ever. I think my newly-revised "Top 5" would be something like:
- Lunar: Eternal Blue
- Lunar: The Silver Star
- Final Fantasy IX
- Tales of Phantasia
- Civilization 4
KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Re: Final Fantasy IX is one of the best games I've ever played

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Wow, for real? Is this game on the PSN yet? I'm just about ready for something new and now I think this might be it.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Final Fantasy IX is definitely one of the most under-rated Final Fantasies. I really enjoyed it at the time I played it. It was definitely on my top 5 at one time. I think Phoenix Wright knocked it off the list. It's probably on my list of Top 5 RPGs.

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

Final Fantasy IX has been one of my favorite games (3rd) since it came out. I'v played it so many times i know where pretty much everything is.

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

I liked it, except for the fact that the last boss isn't who it should be. :| It's like, "Whelp, you just beat the main antagonist throughout the game... BUT WAIT! New super secret bonus boss!" ...Really?
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Heh...

I just realized that Kizyr admitted to crying during a Final Fantasy game. That's only acceptable when Sephiroth kills Aeris.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Werefrog wrote:Heh...

I just realized that Kizyr admitted to crying during a Final Fantasy game. That's only acceptable when Sephiroth kills Aeris.
Psh, not true.
It was surprising, but not sad, you barely get any emotional attachment to Aeris because she has barely any character development.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Solana
Student of Vane

Post by Solana »

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon wrote:I liked it, except for the fact that the last boss isn't who it should be. :| It's like, "Whelp, you just beat the main antagonist throughout the game... BUT WAIT! New super secret bonus boss!" ...Really?
Actually, if you have the time, I'd recommend reading the 'plot analysis' on its Gamefaqs page. There are some fascinating theories on the game's story, including one about the 'true identity' of that last boss that made a lot of sense. Set aside a good chunk of time for it, though.

I agree with you, Kizyr, that ending was pretty fantastic. :mrgreen:
This is either madness, or brilliance- Will Turner
It's remarkable how often those traits coincide- Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

The only time a Final Fantasy game has made me cry was VIII.

Squall: We all knew each other as children and conveniently forgot about it!
Rinoa: I love Squall even though he generally treats me like crap!
All the other characters: We're all basically the same!
Me: I paid actual money for this?! :cry:

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I only played FFIX very briefly years ago and never really got into the depth of the story. So give me some examples as to what makes this game so good.

FFVI is probably my favorite Final Fantasy game simply for the music alone, and the opera house. I'd much rather a remake of VI over VII.

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

Wow, and I thought I was late to IX when I started it last year.

Its a great game, definitely one of the best FF's.
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

FFIX is indeed one of the best Final Fantasies. Zidane is actually an exciting protagonist and doesn't have the personality of a rock *coughCLOUDandSQUALLcough* and is an enjoyable character. The entire cast for that matter all also have likable qualities about them too. Plus, FFIX goes back to what the FF games should be. Turn-based, fantasy world setting (FF7 was too modern, FF8 was too futuristic, etc), etc.

FFIX is definitely in my top 5 favorite RPGs of all time. :mrgreen:

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

ilovemyguitar wrote:Wow, for real? Is this game on the PSN yet? I'm just about ready for something new and now I think this might be it.
Yep, it is on PSN.

IX is easily one of the best FFs. It's my second favorite, next to VI. It's the last FF that had likable characters, a nice plot, and little to no pointless angst. Not to mention, it's underrated and underplayed as hell. I have several friends who outright refused to even try it because it was too cute or there were too many demi-humans or there wasn't enough pointless angst. Gah!

Storytime! When I saw Video Games Live, they did a piano medley of FF themes. It went something like this. FFI theme: some applause. FFIV theme: moderate applause. FFV theme: some applause. FFX theme: significant applause. FFVI theme: significant applause. FFVIII theme: significant applause. FFVII theme: THUNDEROUS OVERWHELMING APPLAUSE. FFIX theme: crickets.

It was so sad.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I like the FFX soundtrack. But FFIX's soundtrack is easily one of the most emotional for me. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Kizyr wrote:I like the FFX soundtrack. But FFIX's soundtrack is easily one of the most emotional for me. KF
He can't listen to Melodies of Life anymore without breaking into tears.

...>.>manly tears.
Vyse of Arcadia wrote: Storytime! When I saw Video Games Live, they did a piano medley of FF themes. It went something like this. FFI theme: some applause. FFIV theme: moderate applause. FFV theme: some applause. FFX theme: significant applause. FFVI theme: significant applause. FFVIII theme: significant applause. FFVII theme: THUNDEROUS OVERWHELMING APPLAUSE. FFIX theme: crickets.

It was so sad.
That is -Dung Beetle-.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Vyse of Arcadia wrote: IX is easily one of the best FFs. It's my second favorite, next to VI.
You know... that's pretty much how I feel about FF IX. The music is amazing too.

Honestly, Kiz, I think I may have cried at the end of FF IX. I don't know. It was a really long time sense I played it.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

*toes the ground*

I've, uh, never played IX.

Does that mean I should?
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Yeah, you can probably buy it pretty cheap, and it's definitely worth a playthrough.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I'd buy it, but my HD graphic whoredom would kick in trying to play the game on a widescreen 1080p tv. Upscaling only does so much, and sometimes smoothing just doesn't make things look good. The current generation is majorly lacking in traditional style rpgs.

I wanted to buy the soundtrack for FFVI that I saw online one time, but it was really expensive and it's not something I'm going to sit and listen to constantly. I didn't even open my Silver Star Harmony soundtrack yet.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

I really like playing the PSX era FF games on psp because it's super convenient to play on a train on the way home from work, then connect to a tv when I get home.

I bought FF IX a few weeks ago, but and I've been meaning to get back into it since I haven't played it since college, but Grandia, Lunar SSH, Blazeblue Portable, and P3P have pretty much dominated my PSP time. I'll be really happy if they ever bring Vanguard Bandits (or just about any other working designs title for that matter) to the PSN store.

Also for those that are playing FF IX, there was a funny exploit I found using Quina to make him/her really useful. There was an accessory that was cursed, I think it was a glove, but anyway it had high odds of making your character's HP drop to 1 when you attack. I equipped Quina with that and it was either some kind of blue magic, or a limit break, but it caused 9999 damage and you could only use it if Quina's HP was at 1. Anyway it was a super easy/cheesy way to level up quickly, and it took a lot of reviving, but the 1-hit kills more than made up for that. Sorry I can't remember what the things were called, but it's been like seven years since I played FF IX.