DS Recommendations

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

DS Recommendations

Post by Shin Otaku III »

I did a couple of searches and couldn't find a thread similar to this one. I was going to ask you guys about Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story, but didn't feel it justified it's own thread. I want to know if any of you have played it and/or recommend it?

And, do you guys have any other recommendations in general? (for DS)

What I already have:

Final Fantasy IV
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
New Super Mario Bros. (probably my favorite, but already beaten it several times)
Pokemon Pearl/Soul Silver
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Dragon Quest IX
Lunar DS

Also, I love Zelda games, but Phantom Hourglass made me rage soooo hard. I have owned my copy since PH was first released, and I STILL hate using the stylus to control everything. Most of the game reviews I read called the controls "intuitive" and "easy to get used to," but this was far from the truth (for me). If they added an alternative option to use buttons and stylus for special things (like boomerang), that would have fixed everything for me. Just thought I'd throw that out there before someone recommended spirit tracks.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Re: DS Recommendations

Post by Werefrog »

Phoenix Wright

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Bowser's Inside Story was very good. I haven't finished it because I got sidetracked when Spirit Tracks came out. (You know that some of the buttons are shortcuts in the DS Zelda games, right?) There's also Mario & Luigi Partners in Time, if you like the gameplay style. I should warn you that it's very linear, in the sense that, unlike Superstar Saga (on GBA) or Bowser's Inside Story, there's pretty much no reason ever to go back to earlier areas, and some of those areas/dungeons are very long. Still, fun.

Okamiden is supposed to come out in NA sometime next spring, though I realize that doesn't help you much now unless you want to import it. Which I did, and I've enjoyed it.

I also have a few DS games that I haven't gotten to but that I expect to like based on the recommendations of a friend who knows my gaming interests pretty well -- Trace Memory, Hotel Dusk, and Super Princess Peach. Those first two are essentially point-and-click games, I think, and the second is sort of the sequel to the first. There's also Miami Law, whose English text was written by Victor Ireland.

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Werefrog wrote:Phoenix Wright
Seconded.

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

Bowser's Inside Story was great. One of the best DS games in recent memory. If you're up for a challenge, I also highly recommend the Megaman Zero Collection.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Thirded.
-Nobi

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

Thank you guys for the responses!
Alunissage wrote:(You know that some of the buttons are shortcuts in the DS Zelda games, right?)
Are you referring to things like the d pad pulling up map and 'R' being used for boomerang? If so, yes, I've played through at least 4-5 hours of Phantom Hour Glass. So I've tried my absolute best to get used to the controls. I didn't specify, but when I think about it, I guess my biggest hang-up is not being able to actually move Link with the d pad.
I see this seconded and thirded. Not trying to be condescending but, would someone mind explaining to me the appeal of this game? Let me be honest and say that I am usually an action game person. So, Professor Layton was a very unusual choice for me, and, indeed, I have to be in the mood to think to play it. I considered Phoenix Wright before, but I've never been one for games with heavy dialogue. When I feel like reading a lot, I have a giant stack of books that I actually need to read. Please let me know if I'm way off base with Phoenix Wright. I only have a very loose idea of how the game mechanics works, but if it is like I think it is, it may be too dialogue driven.

Seriously, thanks again for the responses! :mrgreen:

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

The PW series is text heavy, this is true. But it's nothing like a novel or anything like that. You do a lot of reading and a lot of reasoning during trials but its the story and characters that are a lot of the appeal of the game. The characters are interesting, the story is fun, and it's all enough, in my opinion to keep you interested. The first PW should be fairly cheep now a days if you just want to give it a try unless you might know a friend that has it that would be willing to let you borrow it.

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

I could definitely see that. I will have to give it a try! It's been really hard for me to get into any story as of late. Lately, by the time I actually sit down to play video games, I just want to button-mash have fun and not critically think. It makes it really tough to even enjoy RPG's, but I'm sure it won't always be like that. Anyways, thanks for all of the replies! I'm still open for any more recommendations!! (:

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Shin Otaku III wrote:I could definitely see that. I will have to give it a try! It's been really hard for me to get into any story as of late. Lately, by the time I actually sit down to play video games, I just want to button-mash have fun and not critically think. It makes it really tough to even enjoy RPG's, but I'm sure it won't always be like that. Anyways, thanks for all of the replies! I'm still open for any more recommendations!! (:
I'm another big Phoenix Wright fan. I'd say, like any book series, go ahead and just try the first chapter of the first game. If it doesn't hook you, then no big deal--chalk it up to it not being much your style.

Personally, for action games I tend to prefer consoles/PC, rather than handheld, so I'm afraid I can't offer much other recommendations besides what's been said here--and what you already have.

Oh! MarioKart DS is always a lot of fun. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

Kizyr wrote:Oh! MarioKart DS is always a lot of fun. KF
OH snap! I used to love that on N64! Wonder why I didn't think of it... Okay, I'm going to put together a 'want to buy' list later and post it :3

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

Shin Otaku III wrote:I did a couple of searches and couldn't find a thread similar to this one. I was going to ask you guys about Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story, but didn't feel it justified it's own thread. I want to know if any of you have played it and/or recommend it?

And, do you guys have any other recommendations in general? (for DS)

What I already have:

Final Fantasy IV
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
New Super Mario Bros. (probably my favorite, but already beaten it several times)
Pokemon Pearl/Soul Silver
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Dragon Quest IX
Lunar DS

Also, I love Zelda games, but Phantom Hourglass made me rage soooo hard. I have owned my copy since PH was first released, and I STILL hate using the stylus to control everything. Most of the game reviews I read called the controls "intuitive" and "easy to get used to," but this was far from the truth (for me). If they added an alternative option to use buttons and stylus for special things (like boomerang), that would have fixed everything for me. Just thought I'd throw that out there before someone recommended spirit tracks.
Well, here's a few recommendations. The other two DS Dragon Quest games, Dragon Quest IV and V are both awesome.

Also if you like New Super Mario Bros. Kirby Squeak Squad may be the game for you. It's basically if Super Mario World were a Kirby game.

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

DragonmasterDan wrote:Also if you like New Super Mario Bros. Kirby Squeak Squad may be the game for you. It's basically if Super Mario World were a Kirby game.
Wow.. For some reason, I've never even heard of/seen that game before. I just ran a search on it and figured out why.. I was in military training during its release date. However, I still haven't ever seen a used copy at a gamestop or anything. Did it not sell well?

Also, I did some reading up on the Kingdom Hearts that's out for DS, and it looks interesting. Does anyone know if it's any good?

Thanks!! :D

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

Shin Otaku III wrote:
DragonmasterDan wrote:Also if you like New Super Mario Bros. Kirby Squeak Squad may be the game for you. It's basically if Super Mario World were a Kirby game.
Wow.. For some reason, I've never even heard of/seen that game before. I just ran a search on it and figured out why.. I was in military training during its release date. However, I still haven't ever seen a used copy at a gamestop or anything. Did it not sell well?

It's a Kirby game, I think it at least sold decently. http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/11 ... eak-squad/

According to VG charts just a tad under 2 million units globally.

With that said it's old, and it made very minimal use of the touch screen, unlike the previous Kirby game on the DS, Kirby's Canvas Curse, so for being less innovative it wasn't as critically acclaimed, but it was a much better game. For all intents and purposes it's a traditional platofrmer.

maravida
Lann Fisherman

Post by maravida »

im in a similar boat, i just acquired a DS as payment for a tattoo and it came with a pokemon game. i went to the game store kinda jus flying blind. i was considering the new golden sun game. (has anyone played that?) i played golden sun on GBA years ago and i remember i thought it was simple but fun. from the ads on TV i kinda feel like maybe this game will be just really based around collecting Djinn and not so much on a story? since i already have a pokemon game i decided against another collection-based game.

the game stop i was at had a TON of used DS games with no cases, in a tiny unlit display case with a computer on top of it so i spent like a half an hour trying to figure out what was even in there for titles. i ended up going with the DS remake of Chrono Trigger. im pretty excited, i love Chrono Trigger, but havent been able to play it to completion.

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by whitedragon_nall »

maravida wrote:i was considering the new golden sun game. (has anyone played that?)

If you like the old Golden Sun games, you'll like the new one. Like you said, it's simple fun. Much more Djinni than before and many can be missed without a guide, but that's not really a problem unless you want to collect everything. There is a story too. :D

You went with Chrono Trigger though. Great choice! You really can't go wrong with that game..

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

DragonmasterDan wrote:With that said it's old, and it made very minimal use of the touch screen, unlike the previous Kirby game on the DS, Kirby's Canvas Curse, so for being less innovative it wasn't as critically acclaimed, but it was a much better game. For all intents and purposes it's a traditional platofrmer.
Yes! I remember Canvas Curse, and as you can see from my post about Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks, I hate when the main use of controls is the stylus. (I'm not just a picky person, I actually have a problem with shaking [not severe, but enough to be annoying]. So predominantly using the stylus is physically more difficult than buttons.) Anyways, Squeak Squad was an excellent recommedation because of my personal preferences! It's on my list I'm building! :mrgreen:
maravida wrote:i was considering the new golden sun game. (has anyone played that?) i played golden sun on GBA years ago and i remember i thought it was simple but fun........ i ended up going with the DS remake of Chrono Trigger. im pretty excited, i love Chrono Trigger, but havent been able to play it to completion.
I plan on getting golden sun sometime as well. Like you, I played the old one, and it was one of the better GBA titles that I used own. Even if there is more collecting involved, I would love a return to that series after it's been so long (well not that long but you know what I mean). Also, I really miss my copy of Chrono Trigger. It was in the glove-box of my car that got stolen about a year ago. So, I still have the case but not the game! :(

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

Sorry to double post and bump my old thread, but I didn't feel this justified it's own thread. Has anyone played Kingdom Hearts Re:coded for the DS?? Don't hate, but I've actually never played any of the Kingdom Hearts games. (Never owned a PS2) It looked like it would be fun, but I was just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with it?

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by whitedragon_nall »

Shin Otaku III wrote:Sorry to double post and bump my old thread, but I didn't feel this justified it's own thread. Has anyone played Kingdom Hearts Re:coded for the DS?? Don't hate, but I've actually never played any of the Kingdom Hearts games. (Never owned a PS2) It looked like it would be fun, but I was just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with it?
I just beat it recently and it's a very fun game. The story takes place after KH2 so it may be a bit confusing at first, but I wouldn't say you need prior knowledge of the story to understand it. My biggest complaint is the crappy camera. Other than that, it's keyblade swinging, Disney world traveling, Kingdom Hearts fun.

Do you have a PSP? If so, I'd recommend Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep. It's a prequel to the whole series and a much better game overall.

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

Yah, I had to buy one for Lunar SSH.. lol

I'll check that out. Thanks whitedragon_nall! You reply to all my stuff! It makes me happy :3