Sonic Gems Collection

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Sonic Gems Collection

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I was in Wal*Mart tonight, and I saw Sonic Gems is now out. They had it priced at $29.92. It has Sonic CD, Sonic R, Sonic Fighters with updated graphics from the arcade, Game Gear Sonic games like Sonic Drift 2, and a few others. They also have a gallery with 120 unlockable images, and playable Vectorman and Vectorman 2 that are unlockable. Sonic 2, Sonic Spinball and some other stuff are there as well. The only thing that sucks, is that in Japan they get Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3 which are unlockable, along with everything else! It's called Bare Knuckle 1,2,3 in Japan.

I never heard the Japanese soundtrack for Sonic CD, which is totally different than the American version so again we're stuck with the version that came out here. I'd import it, but it costs more and I'd probably have to buy something in order to play the import game on my system.

I'll probably just end up buying the US released version. It's great that we're getting these rare Sonic games though.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

THEY HAVE VECTORMAN?!?

I was going to get it, of course, for Sonic CD, Sonic R, and Sonic Fighters alone. But Vectorman is an awesome game in its own right.

What's funny is that I own most of these games in different versions (PC, mainly; Sega released Sonic R, Sonic CD, and a slew of others in Smash Packs and the like), but it's great that they're together on the console.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Sonic CD was never released on any previous collections, and I don't recall Sonic R being on any either.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I don't remember if they were in collections, but they were released on the PC. I remember seeing them when they came out.
-G1

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

They were, actually, depending on how you define collection. I meant that there's a PC version of both games, originally released separately, but then put together and released (still on separate CDs, but they shared the box). It's actually the only way I've previously been able to play the two games, never having had a Sega CD or a Saturn. And it's also how I got the music from the intro to Sonic CD. I think Kizyr wanted it, but I don't remember the details.

If you mean collection in the vein of those released on consoles though, then you're right.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Yeah, my Sonic CD CD is damaged for some reason. Now, neither the opening nor ending themes work. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

never having had a Sega CD or a Saturn.

You heretic. :P
-G1

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

GhaleonOne wrote:
never having had a Sega CD or a Saturn.

You heretic. :P

Yes! Bwahahaha. Though I've suffered, yes I have. Never getting to play NiGHTS, except on a console in Sears. :( This is sort of related, since Sonic Team also did that game... does anyone know whether it'll be rereleased in the future, perhaps?
Sonic#

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I used to have that Sonic CD music also. I think I got it promotional from Toys R Us for some reason a long time ago. I either gave it away, or sold it to someone, because I don't have it anymore.

I think remaking NiGHTS would be cool, or at least developing a sequel finally after so long would be nice. Sonic Adventure had that one level where you could play like a NiGHTS pinball type game, and it just left you with a feeling of false hope. I haven't played my NiGHTS in years, and playing it now I know it would look very choppy. I have Christmas NiGHTS as well, and you could play as Sonic in it.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, I found my Christmas Nights the other day. Forgot I had it. Isn't it fairly sought after?
-G1

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Yeah, it goes for a decent amount on eBay. Even at the time when it was released with some magazine, possibly Next Generation(?), it was fairly sought after because it was hard to come by. I think the average price range was $40 on eBay. I could be mistaken.

Lugia Yoshi
Reza Thief

Post by Lugia Yoshi »

When I found the game that was out, I started wanted to play the games that I haven't played at all. I really love to play Sonic CD alot and time warping sure is a lot of fun.

artzi
Red Dragon Priest

Post by artzi »

I hav sonic cd european version. I heard its a bit rare. lol
Great soundtrack. Too bad few of the best tracks are hidden and dont play when you put it in a cd player.

HuBBsDoctor
Reza Thief

Post by HuBBsDoctor »

whats the difference between regualr nights and christams nights? Is it the same game with just christmas themes?

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

I actually bought my SegaCD for Sonic CD. So, what platform(s) is this collection for?

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Gamecube, I believe. Will they be releasing it for the PS2 at some point as well? They're usually good at cross releasing lately, and did so with their other collection.
Sonic#

ZP
Pao Hunter

Post by ZP »

HuBBsDoctor wrote:whats the difference between regualr nights and christams nights? Is it the same game with just christmas themes?

No. It's like a Christmas themed promoional/fan disk. It's been a long time since I've played it also, but it had lots of unlockable goodies, and only one level. These include playing as a super high jumping Sonic instead of NiGHTS (and Eggman boss), and being able to mess around with the A-life influenced music. It was also date-sensitive.

I pretty much have everything on the Sonic Gems Collection that I want. A means of playing the first Sonic arcade game would be nice, but it was left out because the trackball control couldn't be reproduced.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I forget what things are date sensitive, but I think New Years, Easter, and Halloween themes were accessible.