Is Skyrim worth buying?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Klover
Reza Thief
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Is Skyrim worth buying?

Post by Klover »

I've been a fan of the The Elder Scrolls series since I first played Morrowind at the age of 5 (and, surprisingly, I kicked butt at it, even at that age), and the most recent TES game is "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim".

Does anyone on here own it? If so, is it worth paying 60$ for it? Or any price if it's used?
^What I think of Lunar.^

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Re: Is Skyrim worth buying?

Post by Sonic# »

No, it was the worst 85 hours of my life.

More sincere answer, yes, I think it's worth trying out.

I don't know what I can tell you that a review can't. I'd played Morrowind and Oblivion before and enjoyed them both. When I got Skyrim, I was in love fairly immediately. The initial scenario/tutorial takes about as long to go through as Oblivion's (perhaps a little too long, but useful for a first time), but pretty soon you can do about anything a puny mortal of your level can do. (That openness is perhaps its strength.) Some locations tend to be scaled to a higher level than others, but that only really hindered me if I wandered into a location blindly, or went into a cave despite the high difficulty of the monsters around it. The world itself is beautiful, and I find quite a lot of joy in just finding little paths, nooks, crannies, and quests off the beaten path. The characters are as you expect - pretty good voice acting with a few generic catches, some characters are pretty much templates while others are fairly intricate, character development is shown primarily through quests rather than through dialogue, and so on. Combat is as clean as your ability to use a mouse, with several flavors at your disposal, from short-ranged to long-ranged, from magical to metal, from slow heavy blows to light but efficient stabs. The forging, alchemy, and enchanting systems are all fairly streamlined, and can be a quick way to level or earn money from loot gained dungeoneering/stealing/transmutating.

I've played a Nord hammersman past level 60 (by which point he's also a master enchanter, master armorer, and darn good at one-handed combat too) and a ... I want to say Bosmer mage, who specializes in blasting destructive forces from her fingertips and temporarily lighting dungeons.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Yes. I feel that's all I need to say here.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

A bit late - but yes.

As a matter of fact, I bought the game because I found the beautiful world to be quite therapeutic. I don't even really play the game, I just wander around enjoying the sites, slaughtering the occasional bandit/wolf/bunny and leveling up that way. :)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."