Pier Solar HD

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Pier Solar HD

Post by Sonic# »

I prefer RPGFan's review myself.

Of the original:
Derek Heemsbergen wrote:
I'm hard on Pier Solar because I feel it could've been so much better. Don't get me wrong: I'm glad the game exists, especially given its perilously long development cycle. If its gameplay was as polished as its presentation, Pier Solar would stand on equal footing with the RPG classics of yesteryear. It's a loving homage to a system that many gamers remember fondly, and while it's far from perfect, there is still some merit in checking out this 16-bit adventure. Just wait until you're feeling especially patient before you give it a go.
I think the game is alright from what little I've tried of it.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Derek Heemsbergen sounds like he didn't have to pay an exuberant amount of money for a sluggish pitiful excuse of a game like Codie and I did. I'll be sticking with Codie's review, thank you.

Why even play this game when you can play the games it supposedly is a homage to? They're better paced, better programmed, have better graphics, are better written, and well, are just better everything. The developers' attitude towards Nintendo also pisses me off. An "8-Bit system disguised as a 16-Bit one"? Screw them.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

What's your basis for assuming that he didn't have to pay for it and that his judgment was compromised? Why do you assume that when he's already rating the game as subpar?
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

I never said anything about assuming his rating. In any case, I shouldn't HAVE to feel especially patient to give ANY game a go. If I have to have more patience to get through Pier Solar than I'd allow myself for any other 16-Bit era game, then that's just bad programming.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Derek Heemsbergen sounds like he didn't have to pay an exuberant amount of money for a sluggish pitiful excuse of a game like Codie and I did.
I don't hear that, and you have no specific examples, so I'm led to believe that you're assuming things.

In any case, I just don't see it as terribly productive to generate tirades against games. If you didn't like it, that's fine. If I'm reading a review, what I really want are accessible descriptions of its features, ones that accurately recognize both the potential and the shortcomings. If you link to another review that supports the exact same opinion you've already posed, with the same relentlessly negative tone, then you're not providing a well-rounded view of the game. I can't connect with that as a reader, and over time that makes me want to read reviewers who do that less.
Sonic#

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

I tried to find positives. There are just none to be had.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

BTW, Sonic's too nice to point this out, but I'm not: the word you want is exorbitant, not exuberant.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Alunissage wrote:BTW, Sonic's too nice to point this out, but I'm not: the word you want is exorbitant, not exuberant.
I don't see it as rude to correct someone. If we're going to add words to our vocabularies, it seems to be a generally good idea to know which to use and when. I've always appreciated it.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

LunarRaptor wrote:I tried to find positives. There are just none to be had.
By you. That's okay, and why sharing other reviews helps build a more complete picture, since they have had more success finding the positives.
Sonic#

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

No, I would say this is an obectively terrible game. One that is, for reasons that baffle me, getting more attention than it deserves. There are far superior games out there being ignored while this crap gets an HD rerelease? Seriously, what the hell?!

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

LunarRaptor wrote:No, I would say this is an obectively terrible game. One that is, for reasons that baffle me, getting more attention than it deserves. There are far superior games out there being ignored while this crap gets an HD rerelease? Seriously, what the hell?!
Well it's a game that got made for damn near every platform it seems. Even if it doesn't pass muster, a Sega Genesis game coming out in this decade is pretty damn interesting.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

"Terrible" is a subjective judgment. An "objective" judgment would involve, for example, setting out a definition of how games function, and then showing how the game does not meet one or more of the requirements.
Even if it doesn't pass muster, a Sega Genesis game coming out in this decade is pretty damn interesting.
Yes! And from all the descriptions, it certainly adds something to the mix of RPGs that were available in the early/mid-1990s. And at $15 for the PC version, it is less in price than any of those RPGs would have been in their heyday. (Oh, and the GOG and Steam storefronts have both positive and negative reviews to consider.)
Sonic#

Arm
Nanza Bandit

Post by Arm »

To lunar raptor: I'm not the game designer but the artist who handled the characters and cutscene artworks as well as the opening animation. So I'm not directly involved with the gameplay decisions.

If you think this game is terrible, you must not have played some more obscure rpgs back then like Hydlide or secret of the stars. Maybe pier solar has its flaws but it's not a "terrible" game.

50 dollars isnt an exuberant price for an indie game coming with a 64 mb cartridge and professional quality manual and packaging. The 2010 original print came with a special cd to be played on the scd alongside the cart which was never seen before, only for 35 dollars.

As for the codie kitty site... What a joke, havent you found better than that?

There have been average reviews but there have also been a lot of positive ones.
You have the right to not like the game but please stop spreading your hate and angst.
This leads you nowhere.

Try creating a full megadrive game better than piersolar or ask coddie kitty to code one.
Last edited by Arm on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

I haven't played Pier Solar. Speaking personally, while I can find the occasional rant amusing if done well, most of the time I'd really rather read a review which comes across as more evenhanded. If the reviewer comes to the conclusion that the game isn't very good, that's fine, but I don't want the review to read like the author is going out of the way to bash the game. There's just too much temptation when in rant mode to exaggerate or overlook things and consequently I might trust the review less than one where I can say that the reviewer at least tried to give the game a fair shake.

Arm
Nanza Bandit

Post by Arm »

For those who are interested by the Dreamcast version of the game (and PC physical version), the game is reaching the end of development. The game will feature new options like choosing the frequency as well as the speed of the battles. There will also be a second new ending and a 3 minutes opening animation (excerpts are seen in the trailer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDNiJYZbXdA
You can choose freely between hd graphics and cd music or the original 16 bits MD graphics and chiptunes and the entire game has been translated in 5 languages.

All the digital versions of the game will get the additions of the dc version via an update in the future.

The DC (and PC) game will come with a professional quality packaging and manual.
Like the MD version of PS, there will be 3 versions for DC, each one matching in terms of packaging the region (JP/US/EU)

The official guidebook is also almost ready with official artworks, screenshots and maps.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Arm wrote:To lunar raptor: I'm not the game designer but the artist who handled the characters and cutscene artworks as well as the opening animation. So I'm not directly involved with the gameplay decisions.

If you think this game is terrible, you must not have played some more obscure rpgs back then like Hydlide or secret of the stars. Maybe pier solar has its flaws but it's not a "terrible" game.

50 dollars isnt an exuberant price for an indie game coming with a 64 mb cartridge and professional quality manual and packaging. The 2010 original print came with a special cd to be played on the scd alongside the cart which was never seen before, only for 35 dollars.

There have been average reviews but there have also been a lot of positive ones.
You have the right to not like the game but please stop spreading your hate and angst.
This leads you nowhere.

Try creating a full megadrive game better than piersolar or ask coddie kitty to code one.
Oh, my gosh! That's the best retort you can throw at me?! :lol:

Yes, 50 dollars is over-pricing that crap. I can play better games than Pier Solar for free, and have. I've played freeware games that by all rights should cost double what Pier Solar did. For over fifty bucks in this economy, your game had BETTER be bloody brilliant, which it was not.
I will do and say what I want concerning this game. Wanna stop me? Come here and try to make me.
Also, "let's see you do better". Yeah, not a good defense. I don't have to be able to code anything to call this game crap. I just have to know crap when I see it. Besides, creating a retro-cartridge for an old system that's not getting any newer is ultimately just be a waste of everyone's time. PC is where indie games thrive, anyway. If I were to make an indie game, I'd put on a modern format where anyone and everyone can get their hands on a copy/download it easily. I, for one, wouldn't expect people to pony up the hard-earned cash necessary to track down a working Sega or SNES just to play my homebrew.
Oh, and by the way, the SNes is NOT an 8-bit system in disguise.

I've seen RPG Maker games that used strictly default graphics that are better than this.

I don't have to find better than CodieKitty. She's just perfect for this.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

LunarRaptor wrote:
Arm wrote:To lunar raptor: I'm not the game designer but the artist who handled the characters and cutscene artworks as well as the opening animation. So I'm not directly involved with the gameplay decisions.

This leads you nowhere.

Oh, my gosh! That's the best retort you can throw at me?! :lol:

Yes, 50 dollars is over-pricing that crap. I can play better games than Pier Solar for free, and have. I've played freeware games that by all rights should cost double what Pier Solar did. For over fifty bucks in this economy, your game had BETTER be bloody brilliant, which it was not.
I will do and say what I want concerning this game. Wanna stop me? Come here and try to make me.
Also, "let's see you do better". Yeah, not a good defense. I don't have to be able to code anything to call this game crap. I just have to know crap when I see it. Besides, creating a retro-cartridge for an old system that's not getting any newer is ultimately just be a waste of everyone's time. PC is where indie games thrive, anyway. If I were to make an indie game, I'd put on a modern format where anyone and everyone can get their hands on a copy/download it easily. I, for one, wouldn't expect people to pony up the hard-earned cash necessary to track down a working Sega or SNES just to play my homebrew.
Oh, and by the way, the SNes is NOT an 8-bit system in disguise.

I've seen RPG Maker games that used strictly default graphics that are better than this.

I don't have to find better than CodieKitty. She's just perfect for this.
Yeah THAT'S not -Fatal Hopper- obnoxious..

From what I've seen collectively, this game doesn't meet the standards of the nostalgia-fueled people that bought it or threw money at its creation. Either way, you're being a douche. A lot of others weren't satisfied and they didn't go all Summer Breeze on the people involved in making it.

Great, passable, kinda crappy...however you see the game, it IS noteworthy for those carts to be made and to be on so many systems. Indie games definitely do thrive on PC better but this idea was incredibly cool either way. $50 dollars seems excessive to me as well but my solution is to simply not buy it.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

I'm just returning the favor to Arm. If you don't want me to go all Summer Breeze on this, then you all need to quit pressing me on the issue.

It is NOT noteworthy for carts of out-of-use systems to be made and it is not a great accomplish to be porte to more modern systems. Sold well=/=good. Incredibly cool? No. Not at all. This idea requires one to own to an old system or be willing to pay through the nose to get one, meaning that anyone not lucky enough to own a Sega Megadrive will have paid A LOT more than just $50 before they get to play it. There are tons of modern homebrew Sega or Nintendo games for their old systems. Most of them suck. Just watch Yuriofwind or Mike Matei's reviews.

I bought it originally because it looked interesting, and then my fifty bucks turned out ot be wasted on this crap. It'd need to be at LEAST as good as Final Fantasys IV-VI to be worth that much money.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

As for Arm.... If you're going to be involved in any form of art, especially if it's something people will be paying for, you gotta be able to take criticisms in stride. You'll get all sorts of them from all sorts of people. Shrug it off. It does take a bit of discipline, though. Victor Ireland couldn't resist having back-and-forths on forums either.

And it IS amusing and cool for a system made so long ago to get a new game that you don't have to play on an emulator. If their systems no longer worked and the decision they were left with was to either find one that does or not buy the game, then each of them did what they saw fit.

It looked interesting so you bought it? I did that with 1080 Avalanche on Gamecube. I took my loss, understood that it was on me, let go of my frustration and then I bought SSX3.

You expected a homebrew game to stand up next to two of the BEST Final Fantasy games!?!

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

I just told you that there are hundreds, if not thousands or even millions of homebrew games for these old systems. This is nothing special and most of these homebrews suck. Going through the trouble of either financially securing a working Megadrive or tracking one down is more than Pier Solar is worth. That is just wasted funds that could be used to feed your family.

I would just take my loss... if this game wasn't taking attention away from far, far better indie games. Eternal Daughter deserve this kind of attention. Guardian of Paradise deserves it. the white chamber (yes, all in lower case. That's just how the title is written) deserves an HD remaster and to be ported onto modern systems. 7Days, Alice Mare, Dreaming Mary, Eternally Us, Ib, Lisa: The First, Lisa: the Painful RPG, Mad Father, The Mirror Lied, The Longing Ribbon, the One Night trilogy, The Witch's House, Paranoiac, The Crooked Man, Mermaid Swamp, The Sandman, Wraith, Sainth, Middens, Which, OFF, Among the Sleep, Anna, Action 52 Owns (in which someone went through that mess game-by-game and fixed them all), the Deep Sleep trilogy, Master Reboot, the Ghost Suburb series, The Cat Lady Lifeless Planet, Claire, Year Walk, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, DreadOut, certain titles among the various Yume Nikki games, Kraven Manor, The Desolute Hospital, Knock Knock, Limbo, Lone Survivor, Neverending Nightmares, One Late Night, Outlast (and its DLC Whistleblower), and From Dust are all infinitely better indie games than Pier Solar.
Hell, I'd say that even Yahtzee's Chzo series is more deserving. Five Nights at Freddy's even (oh yeah, I went there! What?), too. Hell, there are even several Amnesia: The Dark Descent Custom Stories that were better than this. I even derived more joy from "I Wanna Be the Guy" and its Gaiden.

For over fifty bucks in this economy, it had BETTER be as good as two of the BEST Final Fantasy games!