Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - A Koji Igarashi Game

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Zero
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - A Koji Igarashi Game

Post by Zero »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ig ... -the-night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWrD0QMZc_s

Reached its goal of $500,000 in like 3 or 4 hours. And as of right now it has nearly doubled that, which means David Hayter will be voicing in the game.

I backed this so fast. Best Kickstarter ever. Igarashi is my new video game hero for saving "Castlevania".

I went with the Alchemist's Treasure edition. Man, some of those rewards are cool, but damn are they expensive.
I'll take a potato chip... and EAT IT!

Leo
BANNED

Re: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - A Koji Igarashi Game

Post by Leo »

From what I hear, the soundtrack will be done by Michiru Yamane. This is great news!

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Still haven't backed this yet, as I can't decide which edition of the game I want to pay for, but I'm super excited! I spent all of Monday freaking out, lol. This is the news I wanted to hear. :)

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

I wish Game Arts would start a Lunar 3 kickstarter..

CatsWithMatches
Red Dragon Priest

Post by CatsWithMatches »

I want this so bad. SOTN was one of the best things ever.

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by whitedragon_nall »

So glad this is actually happening! Iga's games are always a blast to play! Is it 2017 yet?

Zero
Student of Vane

Post by Zero »

This is actually my first Kickstarter. It's pretty exciting but it would take something of this level of interest for me to do it again, I think. Igavania's may possibly be my single-most favorite game formula. I try not to throw around the term favorite loosely, and I have many, but 2D Castlevania and its uncertain future as of late is the only gaming franchise that's ever affected me emotionally. The thought of never playing another one actually kinda depressed me a bit. It's a friggin' crime that publishers don't think people want this anymore. All I really needed to back this was knowing that Iga was involved and that Machiru Yamane was on the soundtrack. Speaking of which:

https://youtu.be/IUuBnjwaPv4

https://youtu.be/Q7DJ1YqFhAw

I initially only pledged $5 but that pitch video (which I watched afterwards) was so entertaining and motivating that I said screw it and changed it too $100. I mean, this is a 2D Igavania in HD on CONSOLES. That's something I've been craving for years. I also want all the suits in the industry to know that people want this, so I did my part. And because to hell with Konami.

The only thing that slightly worries me is 2.5D. I'm anxious/nervous to see what that's gonna be like, but I have faith in Iga. If anything, with the Kickstarter now triple the amount of its goal, he's gonna have a lot more pressure not to screw anything up than he did initially. He's gotten mad support from the fans and he strikes me as the type of dude who will give it his all to make this friggin' legendary.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

It's over 1.5m now and doesn't seem to be slowing down either. We just got a new boss and next will be Speed Run Mode at 1.75m and Boss Rush Mode at 2M!

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

Urgh, I might buy it, but I won't back it because of Igarashi's portrait. YOU DIDN'T MAKE SOTN ALL BY YOURSELF!! Jerk.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Arlia, think of Lunar Silver Star Story or Eternal Blue, the Japanese Saturn versions.
It was Game Arts and / or Japan Art Media that developed those. But it's the publisher's logo on the front cover, Kadokawa Shoten.
Are you not going to buy those games just because Kadokawa Shoten took all the credit on the front?

In SotN, Koji Igarashi is responsible of some of the game's programming code, as well as being one of the main directors and writers for the game, if not the main one.

In the kickstarter page, everyone is credited. Former Castlevania musician is there. The former Castlevania concept art isn't in this project, but is mentioned as well!
Koji Igarashi is just the main guy behind SotN, other Castlevanias after it and Bloodstained, and he's a hero for it!
Nintendo stopped giving us Metroid games, which SotN is based on, in 2004, and Konami doesn't care much either. Castlevania was very weak and bleh without Igarashi in the last few games.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

That's an excellent logo in the first image, even if the whole thing is making my browser scroll. I am so not a goth-fest person, though.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Alunissage wrote:That's an excellent logo in the first image, even if the whole thing is making my browser scroll. I am so not a goth-fest person, though.
I love interesting contrasts! If you were in charge of Castlevania style games, what direction would you take it in?

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

I know what you're saying, jay_are, but it's his attitude I don't like. Not much can be done about that.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Arlia wrote:I know what you're saying, jay_are, but it's his attitude I don't like. Not much can be done about that.
His attitude is "Konami keeps trying to take Castlevania in a 3D direction and they can't do it! I'm here to give the fans what they ACTUALLY WANT!" and I love him for it.

Zero
Student of Vane

Post by Zero »

Arlia wrote:I know what you're saying, jay_are, but it's his attitude I don't like. Not much can be done about that.
What is it you don't like about his attitude? I'm genuinely curious. Personally I think the Kickstarter pitch video was hilariously great. Iga really know his audience and how to speak to them, I think.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Leo wrote:
Alunissage wrote:That's an excellent logo in the first image, even if the whole thing is making my browser scroll. I am so not a goth-fest person, though.
I love interesting contrasts! If you were in charge of Castlevania style games, what direction would you take it in?
I'm not sure what the contrast is...? I've never played a Castlevania game, though I am very fond of Metroid games. I've always been put off by the gothic/vampire motif.

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

Djinn Xpert, it's like he's promoting his own name right along with the game. I just... don't feel it. I usually have unique opinions that not a lot of people agree with, but... I'm 5' even, and I can't do much about that, either.
Castlevania belongs to Konami, and while he was influential for the last several games' style (aside from the Lord of Shadows nonsense), it came together over several years, even before some of his gamers were born. If he goes off and makes his own game, taking credit for the whole franchise, I don't like it. Some of the most loved music tracks, he didn't work on those games they came from.
He needs to get his face out of the camera. Not entirely, no, but he's hogging way too much of the spotlight, whereas a decent developer deflates their head and talks about the game they're trying to sell, not how great they are for having made it.

Zero
Student of Vane

Post by Zero »

Arlia wrote:Djinn Xpert, it's like he's promoting his own name right along with the game. I just... don't feel it. I usually have unique opinions that not a lot of people agree with, but... I'm 5' even, and I can't do much about that, either.
Castlevania belongs to Konami, and while he was influential for the last several games' style (aside from the Lord of Shadows nonsense), it came together over several years, even before some of his gamers were born. If he goes off and makes his own game, taking credit for the whole franchise, I don't like it. Some of the most loved music tracks, he didn't work on those games they came from.
He needs to get his face out of the camera. Not entirely, no, but he's hogging way too much of the spotlight, whereas a decent developer deflates their head and talks about the game they're trying to sell, not how great they are for having made it.
Well, it was actually a lot of other people involved besides Iga himself that unanimously came up with the whole Igavania thing. He even stated in a video that he didn't want to come off narcissistic by going with that, but everyone else thought it was a good idea. Castlevania may belong to Konami but it's the developers who made the series what it is and made us fans of it. Konami simply owns the IP. And a lot of old Castlevania staff besides Iga are actually on board for Bloodstained. It may have existed before Igarashi but he has definitely been a major part of the best ones. I think that everyone working on Bloodstained probably thought that having him as the face of its promotion would be a great way to instill faith in potential Kickstarter backers because of the fact that Iga is so widely known for how passionate the man is about Castlevania. It makes people feel more comfortable about putting money into it. I know one thing: I'm a diehard Castlevania fan and I never would have pledged $100 to Bloodstained if he weren't a part of it - it would have been $5 instead. As far as the music, well, I've always known him to give high praises to the composers who work on Castlevania's soundtracks. If he ever came off as taking sole credit I must have missed that somewhere. You do realize that Michiru Yamane is doing the music for Bloodstained, right?

If it weren't for Iga, we wouldn't be having anymore Castlevania, especially not the traditional 2D Castlevania that we all know and love. Konami doesn't care about the series or its fans. All they care about now is smartphone gaming, pay-to-win garbage.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Ah I think I get it. Arlia must be bothered by the name Igavania as well.
Besides what Djinn Xpert clarified about the video (which doesn't make me think he was narcissistic anyway)
BUT I had a similar problem as Arlia, just not with Igavania...
Before, Castlevania on PS1, GBA and DS are known are "Metroidvania" games.
Even games that arent Castlevania or Metroid, but use a similar exploration system, get called Metroidvania.
I hate that. Its like Lunar started a trend with its type of gameplay, and then RPGs that are similar to Lunar are called Lunatic RPGs. It would be painful and silly. "Igavania" kind of fixes the problem for me, cause now Metroid is not part of the name and they can use it on the kickstarter. It's like Inafune being considered the father of MegaMan even though he was only the artist for it, not who came up with the idea. Still. I'm not calling any of those games "Metroidvania" or "Igavania". I'll just call them
sidescrolling action-adventure.

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

Heh, I don't have to like him, period. I don't really care what anyone else thinks.