Sega survey

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Sega survey

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

https://enq.sega.jp/orca/PA99014021

It's in Japanese, but SEGA of Japan is asking fans what your favorite sega game is, fave sega character is, which franchise should sega ressurect, etc. Thought I'd let everyone know.

And if anyone's curious (as SEGA doesn't own Lunar) I voted for Shining Force III, Alis Landale, and Shining Force III respectively. The first one was kind of a tough call though...Wachenroder, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Phantasy Star Gen 1/IV and Skies of Arcadia are all up there in my heart. I do think SFIII deserves a port/remake on modern consoles though (the whole thing, not just Scenario 1 with a butchered ending that was released outside Japan.)

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: Sega survey

Post by Alunissage »

Hm, link seems to be giving me a not found error.

I'd probably vote for Valkyria Chronicles myself.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Yeah I just found that out today. Oh well.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

What was the SF3 Scenario 1 ending in the US anyway?

I, uh... played all three scenarios. It really was a great series, and I wish other games would try to be that ambitious. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Kizyr wrote:What was the SF3 Scenario 1 ending in the US anyway?

I, uh... played all three scenarios. It really was a great series, and I wish other games would try to be that ambitious. KF
They tried to make it seem like the Aspinia/Deathtonia conflict had been resolved at the end when Synbios and Medion's armies confronted on the castle bridge in Sc1 (ie Julian's force hadn't even arrived to break up the fight.) By the time I found out about SF3, the fan translation for the whole game was already on the v15 patch, so I went straight to the translation. I don't know all the specifics; I read awhile back here: http://shining.wikia.com/wiki/Domaric the official ending outside Japan made Emperor Dominate seem like less of a horrible person. My complaint was mostly because the ending was altered to seem like it ended at Sc1, which is clearly not the case.

And I agree, it is a great, ambitious series. I'm currently on Sc3, and Julian's army has all been made Innovators. The amount of scope and detail put into it's world is incredible. Even optional characters have ever changing HQ dialogue, and therefore feel very fleshed out. Not only are the graphics some of the Saturn's best, but the camera angles in the battle cutscenes are really innovative. Like the camera does panoramas, zooms all over the the battle cutscene. And I've yet to play another SRPG with actual towns, and npcs.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Thanks for the recap. Eventually when I get several other games off my to-do list I wouldn't mind another play-through of SF3...

Maybe I'll actually save all the refugees at the train tracks this time. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Kizyr wrote:Thanks for the recap. Eventually when I get several other games off my to-do list I wouldn't mind another play-through of SF3...

Maybe I'll actually save all the refugees at the train tracks this time. KF
THAT BATTLE... :/
For saving the refugees (assuming you mean sc1, as the sc2 refugee battle was considerably easier)You may want to take a look at Matauderex's video on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcwSPt9 ... 6&index=14

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

:mrgreen: Shining Force fanboy here.
Shining Force III does deserve a re-work. I haven't played it, but I've heard the stories.

I absolutely love Shining Force I and II on Sega Genesis, as well as the GameGear / Sega CD games.

I'll tell you what though... If they're gonna fix III, they have to start all the way from I.
I know that's a lot less likely, but I and II have quite a few problems and lack of depth that's due perhaps to the console they were on and development work.
Especially Shining Force II, such a fantastic game, and yet the translation fell short. Very short.
I know that Shining Force III had the biggest problem of all the games, but it would be weird to have a perfected version of SFIII while having debts with the previous ones. Especially after the GBA version of SFI, which... doesn't even look as neat and appealing as the Genesis game.

I'd probably make a mock-up screenshot of how I wish Shining Force looked.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

jay_are wrote::mrgreen: Shining Force fanboy here.
Shining Force III does deserve a re-work. I haven't played it, but I've heard the stories.

I absolutely love Shining Force I and II on Sega Genesis, as well as the GameGear / Sega CD games.

I'll tell you what though... If they're gonna fix III, they have to start all the way from I.
I know that's a lot less likely, but I and II have quite a few problems and lack of depth that's due perhaps to the console they were on and development work.
Especially Shining Force II, such a fantastic game, and yet the translation fell short. Very short.
I know that Shining Force III had the biggest problem of all the games, but it would be weird to have a perfected version of SFIII while having debts with the previous ones. Especially after the GBA version of SFI, which... doesn't even look as neat and appealing as the Genesis game.

I'd probably make a mock-up screenshot of how I wish Shining Force looked.
What was wrong with SFII's translation? I've played some of I (GEN/MD and GBA) and II. They both have strong points, but I just can't stand it when optional characters have next to no dialogue. And older (Pre-III) SF is not alone in this, I'm looking at you, Final Fantasy Tactics...
Back to Shining Force, it would be nice to see remakes of the older games at some point, but the older SF games are readily available on Steam in their present form. I think SFIII is really great as is (excluding the language barrier for those not fluent in Japanese, which is overcome with the fan translation), and I love SFIII's visuals, maybe a little blocky, but still very refined for it's day. No remake is needed, so I would be for a rerelease of SFIII first (not to mention it would be less costly for Sega.) Sega should use the existing fan translation, make sure it would have controller input and I would buy in a heartbeat on Steam or elsewhere.
Like I said, I have played some of the GBA SF1 remake. Overall, I enjoyed the fleshing out of the Force with more dialogue, but I really hated how you couldn't see what an enemy's movement range is.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

I can't tell you exactly "this" and "that" was wrong in it, played it a year ago. But I do remember feeling disappointment and confusion with how the dialogue was written towards the middle and end of the game, the names of antagonist characters I can at least confirm (from Wikipedia) that they were named wrong which affected how the other games in the series made sense.

Yes, I also can't stand characters that do nothing in the story....... that time and effort the devs took could have went to other things -.-

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

https://gonintendo.com/stories/318147-s ... -of-the-se
There's a new one. It expires soon, so vote soon if at all. You also need a Twiter to post.