Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
JonOU812
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword

Post by JonOU812 »

aka "Fire Emblem" for those in the west.

Recently I've been playing lately and on different paths/save files I use different characters, paired with different supports, to see who is an all around great or decent unit to have. Now in all fairness at least all of the units in Fire Emblem all all great in their own respect, (except for Marcus, we don't talk about Marcus) but some of them not so much. In what I have discovered so far these units, excluding Lords, are what a lot of people say are great units that can be used in almost any playthrough:
  • Sain
    Florina
    Serra
    Lucius
    Rebecca
    Raven
    Dart
    Nino

Now in terms of supports I'm more or less biased to canon pairings, or close to, so I mostly pair them like so:
  • Eliwood x Ninian
    Hector x Lyn/Florina
    Lowen x Rebecca
    Bartre x Karla (Hector Mode Only)
    Oswin x Serra
    Priscillia x Erk/Heath
    Kent x Fiora
    Sain x Fiora/Rebecca/Priscilla
    Raven x Lucius
    Dart x Farina (Hector Mode Only)
    Rath x Lyn
    Nino x Jaffar
So what are favorite characters that you guys would use in some of your playthroughs? Currently mine are Kent, Serra, Oswin, Raven and Lucius.
Check Out My Youtube Channel: YOUTUBE
Follow Me on Twitter: TWITTER
Watch Me Stream: TWITCH

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword

Post by Kizyr »

>.> I should ping Jenner to respond to this since she was playing a lot of Fire Emblem over the last year. I'm only aware of the pairing - story aspects affecting the gameplay (which is a concept I love and am fascinated with) via her telling me about it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Are you still here JonOU812?

Because we gotta talk about waifus.

Have you played many Fire Emblems or is this your first one? Because the first thing you need to know is that Nino is not worth raising.

The next thing you need to know is that Ninian is a trash Waifu. :twisted:

But seriously, my problem with the games where you can marry and have offspring is it gets folks so hyper focused on eugenics to make God units instead of focusing on Supports that have good stories together. Most players can get through the game with a few well raised characters regardless. Sometimes certain games require munchkining (THRACIA!!!!) But the most recent DS games have been pretty fair even for IntSys!

My recommendation is to not worry so much about MinMaxing and just have fun and enjoy the game. Do what feels right and makes the most narrative sense. Pick people who compliment each other. I don't recall Blazing Sword being so full of super difficult nonsense that you needed to play the eugenics game.

Insofar as what units to use? You can't go wrong with axe users.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

I admittedly haven't played a ton of Fire Emblem but in what I've played I've always gone for supports based on storyline reasons. Seems more fun to me than trying to min-max. Honestly one of the things I liked about the support system is how it felt different from relationship systems in other games. Rather than being encouraged to identify with the main character and pursue a romance with the love interest you like best, it's more like playing matchmaker based on which pairs you find compatible. Not that I dislike traditional relationship systems, just that I found the support system a nice change of pace. Although from what I hear more recent entries in the series sound more like a traditional relationship system. If that's true I would find that a little disappointing.

JonOU812
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JonOU812 »

Jenner wrote:Are you still here JonOU812?

Because we gotta talk about waifus.

Have you played many Fire Emblems or is this your first one? Because the first thing you need to know is that Nino is not worth raising.

My recommendation is to not worry so much about MinMaxing and just have fun and enjoy the game. Do what feels right and makes the most narrative sense. Pick people who compliment each other. I don't recall Blazing Sword being so full of super difficult nonsense that you needed to play the eugenics game.
1. No this is not my first Fire Emblem. I've played all the GBA ones, Awakening, tad bit of Shadow Dragon and currently on Echoes.
2. I actually took the time and used Nino, and used Afa's Drop on her on one playthrough.
3. I arena abuse like a madman and promote at 20 almost every time, sometimes I even abuse seize gate chapters and grind there.
4. Most of the time I like to play casually and use different units for the endgame. Ex: Currently using Dorcas and Legualt since I rarely use them.
5. I usually tend to use different supports each playthrough but there are some units that I just can't help but not pair together like Nino x Jaffar or Lucius x Raven.
6. Lyn and Florina are best Blazing Sword waifus. Come. At. Me.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

JonOU812 wrote: 1. No this is not my first Fire Emblem. I've played all the GBA ones, Awakening, tad bit of Shadow Dragon and currently on Echoes.
Path of Radiance is the best Fire Emblem and Radiant Dawn infuriates me because they phoned in the support system. They had a really good thing going with PoR and should make more games like it.
2. I actually took the time and used Nino, and used Afa's Drop on her on one playthrough.
What a waste!
3. I arena abuse like a madman and promote at 20 almost every time, sometimes I even abuse seize gate chapters and grind there.
That's just called strategy, my friend.
4. Most of the time I like to play casually and use different units for the endgame. Ex: Currently using Dorcas and Legualt since I rarely use them.
Isn't Dorcas an axe user? It's been too long since I played Blazing Sword. If he is an axe user then good choice!
5. I usually tend to use different supports each playthrough but there are some units that I just can't help but not pair together like Nino x Jaffar or Lucius x Raven.
Isn't Jaffar kind of creepy though?
6. Lyn and Florina are best Blazing Sword waifus. Come. At. Me.
Those are some pretty solid waifus, Lyn rules and Florina usually turns out good but I once got really lucky RNG with Rebecca and she became this deadly monster of a unit and since then I've always had a mild fondness for her.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

JonOU812
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JonOU812 »

Jenner wrote:
Isn't Dorcas an axe user? It's been too long since I played Blazing Sword. If he is an axe user then good choice!
Yes he is. Him or Bartre, if the RNG agrees with me, Hector and Dart are usually my go to axe users.
Isn't Jaffar kind of creepy though?
In a way he is, but his character development over the course of the game as well as his supports are why I like him
Those are some pretty solid waifus, Lyn rules and Florina usually turns out good but I once got really lucky RNG with Rebecca and she became this deadly monster of a unit and since then I've always had a mild fondness for her.
For some reason her RNG for me is either she barely gets any strength growth or just barely maxes it. I once had her at 14 Str at lvl16.
Also forgot to mention Priscillia as a top waifu. Best healer IMO

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Unfiltered Fire Emblem Spoilers in this post.

Re Jaffar: assassin who won't hurt kids is tropey. That's why Volke is the best because he could and would totally kill Ike.

I wish IntSys would make more games like Path of Radiance and less games like the nonsense they have been making.

Have you been "playing" the mobile game Jon?
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

JonOU812
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JonOU812 »

yea I have. I've been working on a cavalry team with Reinhardt, Eliwood, Brave Lyn and Cecilia, just need to 5 star Eliwood and Cecilia and I should be good. Been thinking about 4-5 starring Anna, Alfonse and Sharena since their popular in the arena.

Also in terms of 5 Stars that I pulled I got:
Brave Lyn
Reinhardt
Athena
Tharja
Lukas
Azura
Faye
Gaius (Ylissian Summer)
Lucius

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Jenner wrote:Have you been "playing" the mobile game Jon?
...is this the same mobile game we saw being advertised everywhere in Tokyo? (This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-3kATzL9Eg). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

JonOU812
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JonOU812 »

Kizyr wrote:
...is this the same mobile game we saw being advertised everywhere in Tokyo? (This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-3kATzL9Eg). KF
Correct

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Kizyr wrote:
Yeah it has been tempting me because, if you're lucky enough, you can fish up Ike and Soren and then S Rank them which is my ultimate dream because they are my all time favorite OTP.

I hear the new Black Knight trials are fun and challenging but that you can unlock him if you're good enough. Unlocking the Black Knight is probably the equivalent of beating the game.

I may download it and fool around with it one of these days, Brave Ike has an axe so it's like IntSys is specifically marketing to me. I have been resisting its sirens call for now but I am only one woman.

A friend of mine online has gotten crazy luck in this game, I'll post up their screen shots sometime.

Can we all agree that Oliver is the Extra Worst Always, btw?
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Got both Ikes but no Sorens :(

My Robin is trash.

Catria and Azama tank all day.

I wish my Robin was less garbage because I need a good caster.

Oh cocks my ship.

No no no no no ah -Fatal Hopper- RIP.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.