THE game.

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Reaper
Lyton Singer
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

THE game.

Post by Reaper »

The greatest game ever created is Zelda, not a specific game from Zelda but just the whole idea. It's the perfect blend of fighting and puzzles ever created. Other games (especially now and days) lean too much too on to one of these. Who gonna disagree with me!?! :evil:
The end will come to death
but death will never end

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I think your Link is broken.

Image. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Chris
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Chris »

I love Zelda games. The only game I don't care for is Zelda II for NES....mainly because I suck at it. I should give it another try since I haven't played it for about 6 years or so. My favourite in the series is A Link to the Past for SNES.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I would agree with the first post except that the style of it is totally offputting. :?

My own least favorite Zelda is probably Wind Waker -- not because of its style, which I think is excellent, but because of its odd shortsightedness and thinness. What's there is choice, though.

I too suck at Zelda II, but it's a fascinating and surprisingly deep game, all things considered. Plus, a friend of mine triggered a weird graphic glitch where all the mountains turned into keys. That was entertaining to see.

Probably my favorite is Ocarina for the overall package, but Zelda 1 is the one I've played the most, and Link's Awakening the one which has the most interesting bittersweet mood. Majora's Mask seems like it has some great depth as well, but since I get motion sick whenever I play it I haven't seen more than half.

Dingle
Pao Hunter

Post by Dingle »

Zelda's an awesome series, too.

However, when it comes to adventure games, the Monkey Island series and "Grim Fandango" are my favorites. "Grim Fandango" was full of remarkable characters, and with its deep plot, it was hard for me to leave the world when I finished the game.

I get a kick out of the Monkey Island series, but I still haven't finished "LeChuck's Revenge."

My favorite first-person shooter, on the other hand, is "No One Lives Forever." [Goes on and on...]
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

It used to be my favorite series. Lunar took that over, but Zelda is an easy second. My own personal favorite is A Link to the Past. I spent so many hours on that game. I also got the 0 games played as I'm sure some of you have. I hear the GBA game has an extra dungeon. I just found this out last week, so I'll probably take the DS with me to Colorado later this month to play it.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Really, you didn't know about that? But I should warn you, you have to have played a game of Four Swords to unlock it -- so that means you need a friend with the game to play with first. AND you can't play Four Swords with the DS because there's no port for the cable. So...keep all that in mind before you pack it for the trip. (I'm sure you could play the dungeon itself on the DS once it's unlocked, but you'll need two GBAs, a cable, and two carts to unlock it. And probably two players too.)

rf_switch
Iluk Crackpot

Post by rf_switch »

once it made its transition to 3d on the N64 I didnt care for it. So I can't agree that its the best series ever. Since the only games in the series I really liked were the first one, and A Link to the Past.

Reaper
Lyton Singer

Yo.

Post by Reaper »

I agree that wind waker was a poor game, it made me really dissapointed in Zelda. But for Majoras mask, why is it so hard? Everyone I know who played it couldn't even beat it, it took me only about 2 weeks with school. Sorry if I don't get it but I find it easy and quite amusing, if you need help feel free to ask. I also perfected the GBC versions of Zelda saved the princess on combined play mode. Took almost a year...
The end will come to death
but death will never end

Vyle
NPC

Post by Vyle »

The only Zelda games I liked were Link to the Past, and Four Swords Adventures. I tried playing Ocarina of Time, but... I just couldn't get into it :(.

Erroneous
Legendary Hero

Post by Erroneous »

Overall, yes Zelda had a genius concept that was quick to catch on, fun for all ages withdrawing from profanity and stupid gestures, and still entertaining from its first launch. I personally like to state that Zelda pushed the gaming industry by being the first game to have an internal battery for saving, had a toll free phone oporator for users to interact with publishers, and create an in-game econmic mangement system. Of which now adays games have save features wiether old fashion cartrige or memory card, the interaction with the user and publishers has become more advance with websites and message boards, and just about every game has their own money system (Gil, Gald, Rings, Rubies, Gold, Silver, etc).

Generally only 2 of the Zelda games brought forth strong aspects, The Legend of Zelda and Ocarina of Time. Of course tLoZ started it all however OoT once again brought forth newer concepts to RPG's such as clothing, time durations of night and day, and horse back ridding. I really loved OoT compared to the rest but I do have time to play tLoZ every now and then no matter how many times I've beaten it, its still great to me.
---
LunarNET Discord: https://discord.gg/yzXgsSa

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I don't see how you mean that Ocarina brought forth the idea of clothing; the colored tunics were in LttP (and the color dungeon in LA DX) and of course Link changed color in the original game when you got the rings. Are you referring to the tunics protecting him from the environment, a la Metroid?

I love Ocarina and certainly agree that it brought a new dimension to the series, so to speak. But LttP was necessary in that development, I think. Consider the freedom of the hookshot vs the inability to control where you went in the raft in Zelda 1. I'm not sure where I'm going with that example but it sounds good. Those three games are the ones that defined each stage of the series to me.

Incidentally, one thing I find interesting about the first that none of the others have had is using the rupees for arrows. That made the money system end up more balanced, while in the later games I always end up with too much cash at the end.

Reaper wrote:Sorry if I don't get it but I find it easy and quite amusing, if you need help feel free to ask.

The problem isn't its difficulty -- it's the pounding headaches and nausea that lasts for fix or six hours after I stop playing (and begins before I even start) that prevents me from playing. :roll: I don't need help, except with those purely physical problems. If you can solve those, be my guest.

JediLeroy
Lostest Boy

Post by JediLeroy »

It seems like Wind Waker is the game that's cool to hate these days.

I, for one, thought it was an outstanding game. The control was tight, the music was wonderful, the puzzles were fun, the graphics were jaw-dropping, and it was thoroughly engrossing. If you want to, you can find all sorts of faults with any game. I prefer to let Wind Waker mesmerize me. Besides, what other game besides Kingdom Hearts has my wife wanted to come home and play?

I'd have to agree that Zelda games are great. I love the series as a whole, and get just as excited for a new Zelda as anything else.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Just so you know, I'm not criticizing WW based on anyone else's experience or opinion but my own; I hav every little patience for bandwagon bashing (or praising). There were so many things that were done right with it that it took me a while to realize I was getting bored with it at one point, and later frustrated because all that potential wasn't used to the fullest. All games do have flaws, including Zeldas; it's just that WW's were more significant to me than those in the other series' installments.

For the curious, in roughly descending order of irritation to me: in Ages it's the lack of enemies and the big ocean with nothing in it; in Ages and Seasons both it's the randomness of getting two pieces of heart, plus too many required minigames; in Minish Cap it's being able to miss one item and only getting another after you've defeated the final boss (plus the figurine tedium); in MM it's the save system in tandem with the time system, either of which would've been fine along; in Link's Awakening it's trying to get anywhere on the world map because there are no direct routes to anything; in Zelda II it's dying so easily and losing exp thereby. I have a really hard time thinking of flaws in the remaining games.

And yet, all of these are great games. I'm even thinking of replaying WW now, although it took me two years to get to that point, having totally saturated myself with certain annoying aspects of it. One can get really sick of going to the Tree, for example. I would really love to see another Zelda in the same style, but with the pacing and balance fixed. We're getting something different, and I'm looking forward to it too (though with misgivings because so far there seems to be no humor whatsoever indicated) but I really hope the WW idea is polished up, because a lot of it was sheer enjoyment.

Ryonin
Student of Vane

Post by Ryonin »

Sure, I've had fun with the Zelda series... But I don't count it as my favorite.
If I had to pick a series for story, it would be Suikoden.
For gameplay, currently I'm going with Disgaea, but I still have a soft spot for the original Vandal Hearts.

The Zelda games always have sticking points for me. Even though I own the games, I've probably only beaten the more recent ones once or twice because of those places. Places which are just too annoying or monotonous for me to slog through when I could be doing something I enjoy instead.

love a riddle
Lostest Boy

Post by love a riddle »

I just beat Minish last week. I personally prefer 2D Zelda over 3D Zelda.

What surprises me nowadays is the length of Zelda games. Most of the new ones are rather short.

Etherest
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Etherest »

I'd say Minish Cap was pretty long if you did all the side quests...and I bet you Zelda fans can't wait for Zelda: Twilight Princess to show up.
It looked amazing at E3...( Watch Tech T.V or go there! ) 'cept the part when Link turns into a wolf looked like Majora's Mask all over again...
Okay, Hacker, listen up. I am tired of your fake assumptions! What is your problem?! Do you just like to mess with 14 year olds, who KNOW they don't lie to people at a site they consider HOME?!! PM ME NOW!

love a riddle
Lostest Boy

Post by love a riddle »

I dunno. I still think LttP stands out a lot, because of the length. I liked having to not worry about getting the majority of my heart containers from heart containers.

By length, though, I'm talking about the number of dungeons.

Minish's storyline was pretty good and fresh, in my opinion. I never imagined they would make a storyline revolving around the gnat hat...

Etherest
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Etherest »

Nor did I, but they still managed to make the game great...Zelda LTTP
was long too, but I did'nt spend much time questing for Heart Containers, and the dungeons were qutite long...and annoyingly difficult.(...well they were at my age back then...)
Okay, Hacker, listen up. I am tired of your fake assumptions! What is your problem?! Do you just like to mess with 14 year olds, who KNOW they don't lie to people at a site they consider HOME?!! PM ME NOW!

Dark Sin
Burg Farmer

Post by Dark Sin »

to me the Zelda Series is one of the most fun. i mean it is really interestin and the puzzles aer fun and too hard so all ages can play it. but the thing that people have said in the past is the Wind Waker was not that great or something like that. man that game is Da Bomb and the graphics are amazin. overall i like all of the games in the Zelda Series. Can not wait till The Legend Of Zelda Twilight Princess comes out. that game will be awesome.