Other WD games

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Genocide
Pao Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Other WD games

Post by Genocide »

Any of you like any other games by Working Designs? Arc The Lad is great and I want to play Vanguard Bandits. Looks interesting.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

This should probably be in the "Lunar developers" forum below all the Lunar game ones...though actually there isn't much in that forum at the best of times. Anyway, I played rather a lot of Arc the Lad Collection, and one path of VB -- it's insanely addictive while you're playing although once you've taken a break from it there's not all that much pressure to go back. I do want to do the other branches, though. Alundra is a great 2D Zelda-type with a much deeper and darker story than the Zeldas, and someday I want to replay it. What else...Vay was the second RPG I played, and though it was a bit pale after TSS it was still fun. Magic Knight Rayearth was fun, if occasionally frustrating (but overall fairly easy). Growlanser Generations I will finish someday. I think that's it for WD games I've played, though we have several we've never played (Vasteel, Exile 2, Cosmic Fantasy 2, Iron Storm, Popful Mail). Oh, and Silhouette Mirage -- I played a bit of that, and were I any good at the game I would've liked to continue, but unfortunately I have no aptitude for it. Likewise with Silpheed and GGB.

Hm, I suppose I have more WD games than I thought. I'm really only into the RPGs, though.

Erroneous
Legendary Hero

Post by Erroneous »

I would pretty much rephrase the whole thing in asking, do you like any other games that WD used their money to put developers on the shelves so that we could enjoy.

WD published several great games of which one I payed particularly attention towads when the PS2 came out was "Gun Griffin Blaze".

To many this game probably seemed a little repetitative in the fact you have a short duration, destroy a specific target and fullfll a given task, and done. The game was really short and very difficult. The game had a unique system in gameplay which I still today find outstanding. I may of not played every videogame in the world, but the way this game played out was very new to me. The concepts of the mechs may seemed cliche, almost Armored Core, Gundam, whatever. But it did seem more realizitic, possible over plausable, and entertaining.
---
LunarNET Discord: https://discord.gg/yzXgsSa

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I started out entirely on WD RPGs.

Vay was my first. Lunar: TSS came after that and I enjoyed it even more. I played EB directly after and eventually managed to purchase Popful Mail. All four of their Sega CD games were incredible (I don't think they brought out the first Silpheed game in the US for the Sega CD, though that was loads of fun, too).

For Saturn, yeah, I pretty much have all of WDs games: Shining Wisdom, Dragon Force (incredible), Iron Storm (me = strategy nut), Albert Odyssey, and Magic Knight Rayearth. ...am I leaving out any?

For PSX, I just have the Lunar games and Alundra. Towards that time I quit having enough time free to just play games... Unfortunate. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Gah, I totally forgot SW and AO. I played the latter almost to the end and then stopped short of the last dungeon, but not much of the former; my reflexes couldn't handle the fighting, for some reason. Dragon Force is another one I have (x4) but haven't ever put in the machine.

The SegaCD Silpheed wasn't localized by them. I bought it anyway, though.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:Gah, I totally forgot SW and AO. I played the latter almost to the end and then stopped short of the last dungeon, but not much of the former; my reflexes couldn't handle the fighting, for some reason.

No need to worry. Not all of us are obsessed enough to play the game and perfect our skills at it for months on end just to win some stupid $10,000 prize that was half my incentive for buying it in the first place 'til somebody stole it from me. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

rf_switch
Iluk Crackpot

Post by rf_switch »

I've liked most WD games that I've played. Games like Cosmic Fantasy 2, Exile 2, Parasol Stars for TG16/Duo. One of the few publishers in the US who would publish RPG's for that system here. All the Sega CD games I thought were great.

One game I really liked was Elemental Gearbolt on PS. And RayStorm.

Dragon Force on Saturn was great as well.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

The only other games by Working Designs that I've played are Alundra and Growlanser Generations. I love both of them.

I played Alundra before I had ever owned a Zelda game. I'm a little bit biased toward Alundra, then, but I tend not to compare the two at all when picking my favorites. I consider them ... comparable. ^_~

As for Growlanser Generations... I've beaten both 2 and 3 multiple times now. I'll probably slow down now, as I'm moving out of my dorm this week and my PS2 will probably be temporarily neglected for my Gamecube (Sonic Adventure 2 Battle with my brother, oh, it'll be sweet), but ... I love the scenarios in it. They provide a very healthy amount of challenge, even after my first time through. (I still die sometimes at the Firefly one, if I don't prepare properly.) They did a good job with the voice acting, but I'm not critical of dubbing, as long as it sounds somewhat realistic.

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

I have all their Sega CD and Saturn games as well as Cadash for the TG-16, but by the time they moved to Playstation the RPG market had greatly diversified and I wasn't as interested in what they were offering so I haven't bought a WD game since Lunar:EBC.

Aside from the Lunar games, my favorite WD game would have to be Cadash, because it was my favorite game on the TG-16 altogether. It was a port of an arcade game, but it worked so well!
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

No need to worry. Not all of us are obsessed enough to play the game and perfect our skills at it for months on end just to win some stupid $10,000 prize that was half my incentive for buying it in the first place 'til somebody stole it from me. KF

Just think, had I never won that contest, I may never have started up with LunarNET, and neither RPGFan nor GamesAreFun would exist. I actually used money from that $10,000 to pay for LunarNET's original hosting with SimpleNet. So really, love 'em or hate 'em, you guys can thank Victor Ireland and Working Designs for this site's existance.

Oh, and to answer the question... Dragon Force. Next to the Lunar games, this was Working Designs' best game. That game was amazing, and I so hope they get to do it again on the PS2 with the remake. Alundra was also fantastic, as was Popful Mail. And as much as I played Shining Wisdom, it was still a fun game. I want to pick up Iron Storm, Vay and Albert Odyessy eventually, but haven't gotten around to it. Though I have played some of Vay.

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Oh yeah, Dragon Force was a great game. But then I'm biased. ;) I generally don't include it when thinking of favorites.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Rune Lai wrote:Oh yeah, Dragon Force was a great game. But then I'm biased. ;) I generally don't include it when thinking of favorites.

Yeah, every aspect of the game was top-notch incredible... The gameplay, the strategy, the storyline, the writing... well, except for that cheesy "Dry White Wein" joke. {^^} KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

keele864
Red Dragon Priest

Post by keele864 »

I've played Arc the Lad Collection (I've played Arc I, most of Arc II, and some of Arc Arena), Silhouette Mirage, and Growlanser Generations. I like Arc, though I think Arc II is way too long. The controls of Silhouette Mirage drive me insane , and I loved Growlanser. I wish I had a chance to try out some of the older games (i.e. Dragon Force), but the Saturn and Sega CD were "before my time."

Etherest
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Etherest »

What about Growlanser 4? I'm sure that's out in Japan right now but I

have'nt checked if it was a Working Designs game. And that reminds me

to ask, why did WD go and translate Growlanser Generations before

Growlanser 1? Are they even going to translate that?Cause It'd be cool to

see a remake of part 1 for the PS2 and actually get to play as Carmaine

instead of the default name, PLAYER.
Okay, Hacker, listen up. I am tired of your fake assumptions! What is your problem?! Do you just like to mess with 14 year olds, who KNOW they don't lie to people at a site they consider HOME?!! PM ME NOW!

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Grow IV has not been announced as picked up by any US publisher yet.

WD did Grow II and III because they're PS2 games and Grow I is not. It's getting very difficult to get retailers to give any shelf space to PS1 games beyond the big-name stuff.

There is no magic converting machine that turns PS games into PS2 games. Or Saturn games into PS2 games, or any other porting. WD does not have the resources to do the port themselves. IF Grow I is ported on the Japan side to a current console they'd consider doing it. Yes, it'd be nice to see Grow I with the main character actually having a name in battle.

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Kizyr wrote:Yeah, every aspect of the game was top-notch incredible... The gameplay, the strategy, the storyline, the writing... well, except for that cheesy "Dry White Wein" joke. {^^} KF

Hey, don't make me chase you around with a broomstick! ^_^

Etherest
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Etherest »

Owwww...That's a big let down. That'd be a cool invention though...
A Magical PS1 to PS2 Converter! .......ARRRG! :twisted:
Okay, Hacker, listen up. I am tired of your fake assumptions! What is your problem?! Do you just like to mess with 14 year olds, who KNOW they don't lie to people at a site they consider HOME?!! PM ME NOW!

rf_switch
Iluk Crackpot

Post by rf_switch »

or just sell the PS1 game in PS2 packaging..that'll fool those retailers.

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

Whee.. I have Dragon Force (one of my all-time favorite games, Junon is so badass!), Albert Odyssey (still has one of the best sound tracks from any game, IMO), Arc the Lad, Magic Knight Rayearth, Alundra, Growlanser, and Shining Wisdom (::vomits::).

DF... I can't wait for it to be re-made!! That's one game you can always pick up and play for 12 hours no matter what.
I found my old siggie! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!!!
~~~
Sir Kizyr: ::high-pitched voice:: Ohh lookit me, I'm a cute li'l elf!
MiaAusa: Oh wait! NO I GET IT.
MiaAusa: It's him finally fessing up the the fact that HE IS a cut li'l elf. :d
MiaAusa: Hey, chance" NO I GET IT" to "NOW I GET IT"
MiaAusa: change**
MiaAusa: I'm mad with grammar today
MiaAusa: bad**

I'm mad with grammar too.
~~~
Sir Kizyr: Here's a lovely song about my favorite food
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
Sir Kizyr: Diggydoo!
~~~

Genocide
Pao Hunter

Post by Genocide »

So how is Growlanser Generations? Looks interesting. Is it similar to any other games?