Lunar The Silver Star Sega CD!?!?!?!

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Dragonmaster1984
NPC
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lunar The Silver Star Sega CD!?!?!?!

Post by Dragonmaster1984 »

Lunar for Sega CD was the ultimate best RPG ever made...heh i have been that game into the ground and back but still i have an urge to play it after 10 years.....but sadly my sega CD hasnt been with workin in 3 years ><....all the remakes especially silver star story was a complete friggin joke.........if they ever decide to do a remake.............

make an EXACT remake of the ORIGIONAL!?!l from Sega CD

ghaleon pwns...i still use his name after 10 years.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

That would be a port, not a remake, then.

You can still play with your original SegaCD game discs on emulator.

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Lunar The Silver Star Sega CD!?!?!?!

Post by Roas Atrades »

Dragonmaster1984 wrote:Lunar for Sega CD was the ultimate best RPG ever made...heh i have been that game into the ground and back but still i have an urge to play it after 10 years.....but sadly my sega CD hasnt been with workin in 3 years ><....all the remakes especially silver star story was a complete friggin joke.........if they ever decide to do a remake.............

make an EXACT remake of the ORIGIONAL!?!l from Sega CD

ghaleon pwns...i still use his name after 10 years.

Whoa there, cowboy. TSS was and is a great game, but the Saturn/PSX versions were also very good. Granted, SSS had a philosophical hinky with Ghaleon, but that does not change the overall gameplay and general beauty of the game.

And EBC was basically the exact same as EB.

So, I'd rethink just slamming those games without at least some shred of personal opinion/evidence. To just say they suck is pretty immature and insensitative since many people here only have SSSC and EBC to play because a SegaCD was before their time.
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Well, it sounds like he's played them all and has formed his opinion, to which he is entitled. I would say that EBC not having the magic experience or interesting dungeons diluted it considerably for me, not at all the same thing as EB. SSSC had weaker music and magic, in addition to the storyline and character changes. Both had less interesting geography, especially SSSC. The merits of the remakes are not going to be so significant as to outweigh these negatives to everyone.

I don't like overdone blanket condemnation, as you probably noticed in the Disney discussion (;)) but I can see why he might have that reaction. And to make a rather fine-grained distinction, he didn't say that they sucked; he said that the remakes were jokes. This doesn't actually state anything about the quality of the games taken as themselves without comparison to their prior incarnations. A lot of people think that Legend was a pretty weak installment, but we also get people here who only played that game and think that Lunar's a great series because of it.

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Alunissage wrote:Well, it sounds like he's played them all and has formed his opinion, to which he is entitled. I would say that EBC not having the magic experience or interesting dungeons diluted it considerably for me, not at all the same thing as EB. SSSC had weaker music and magic, in addition to the storyline and character changes. Both had less interesting geography, especially SSSC. The merits of the remakes are not going to be so significant as to outweigh these negatives to everyone.

I don't like overdone blanket condemnation, as you probably noticed in the Disney discussion (;)) but I can see why he might have that reaction. And to make a rather fine-grained distinction, he didn't say that they sucked; he said that the remakes were jokes. This doesn't actually state anything about the quality of the games taken as themselves without comparison to their prior incarnations. A lot of people think that Legend was a pretty weak installment, but we also get people here who only played that game and think that Lunar's a great series because of it.

Well, I think the remakes were good enough. I was not disappointed overall. Yes, the magic of TSS was better (I prefer the offensive Dragon Magic), but I hated that damn points system for the EB magic. That was a pain in the ass, especially since you also had to use those points for saving games.

Now, as a game breaking power leveler that kinda stuff is never a problem for me because I have it in excess, but I still thought it was pointless and a waste of time. I prefer to just grow stronger as I level. Customization in Lunar games is not something I really feel is necessary.

Personally, I prefer EBC to EB. It feels crisper and more streamlined. Since the story is pretty much intact, I like the changes to game play and added tidbits here and there.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

So...your reaction is mainly because your game preference is different from that of the poster? Because you didn't really provide evidence for not preferring the originals until this post, and saying you "hated the damn points system" seems at least as strong as what you were criticizing him for. Seeing as (obviously) some of us liked that points system and the customization it provided, even though according to you it's "pointess and a waste of time." How is this less insensitive than you accused the original poster of being? I dunno, you're coming across as being offended because he dared to say that something you like didn't do much for him and so you'll retaliate by saying much stronger and harsher things about the game he -- and others here -- prefer. I suppose you consider it more constructive because it's naming specific things you didn't care for rather than making blanket statements, but it sure isn't more polite.

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Alunissage wrote:So...your reaction is mainly because your game preference is different from that of the poster? Because you didn't really provide evidence for not preferring the originals until this post, and saying you "hated the damn points system" seems at least as strong as what you were criticizing him for. Seeing as (obviously) some of us liked that points system and the customization it provided, even though according to you it's "pointess and a waste of time." How is this less insensitive than you accused the original poster of being? I dunno, you're coming across as being offended because he dared to say that something you like didn't do much for him and so you'll retaliate by saying much stronger and harsher things about the game he -- and others here -- prefer. I suppose you consider it more constructive because it's naming specific things you didn't care for rather than making blanket statements, but it sure isn't more polite.

If you want to call that insensitive, fine, but there is still the distinct difference that although I am merely stating my opinion I still gave specific grounds for my opinion, mainly because I knew you'd rather I be specific then broad since you and I are mainly having this discussion right now. :D

I'm not offended because of the fact he said something. In fact, I'm not offended at all. I just feel if someone is going to make a grand statement that an entire game is a joke, they should list their reasons why they feel so, rather than a simple one line slam. Just the way you do not like it when people make broad generalizations, I do not like it when someone takes a firm stand on a subject, yet gives no reasons why. I am not an inquisitive person by nature, I do not ask many questions prefering to try and figure things out on my own. But in instances like this, I would at least like to know the why, since a person takes the time to affiliate themselves with the game and the gamecentric forum.

Now, if you felt insulted by my comments about the EB Magic Point system, I'm a big enough man to apologize, but that doesn't mean I feel any different about it. I still believe that there was no need to have it, especially when the majority of the spells were weak to begin with. The only person it really mattered for across the board was Lemia. On Ronfar all you needed was one or two healings spells, and I don't think I need to go into too much detail on how much Hiro's magic sucked and was completely unnecessary. That is pretty much universally agreed upon.

Now, one may counter my view by saying that since it only really mattered for 1 1/2 persons that it really is a mute point, but I respond that if it really was just intended for 1 1/2 persons...then why have it at all?

And why did we have to spend the points to save our game? To me, it felt like I was being penalized for protecting my progress :P I have to sacrifice the magic system points I worked for so I can save just incase the Red Fiend kicks my butt :)

Now, am I slamming EB as a whole? No, of course not. It was a great game when I played it multiple times. I just don't like that one little feature, and I have stated as much with my personal opinion's evidence. It was not my, or perhaps not the original poster's, intention to be insensitive, so maybe I was a little quick to come at the topic from that angle, but I still feel it is unfair to slam the only version some people have without at least saying why. And to be perfectly honest, once personal opinions are freely shared, people are bound to be slightly put off no matter what, since eventually someone else is going to have a different POV.

But that is what having a forum is all about. A free arena for debate and discussion where people can feel comfortable speaking their minds without fear of retribution...well, only well constructed retribution in the form of debating :?

I know you, nor others, would never tell me what my opinion can be, and I would never do that to anyone else (I've said so on many occasions already). However, I do feel it is necessary for someone to at least say why they feel a certain way about something. The original poster is free to feel the remakes are a joke, but I just want to know why.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Well, I only used the word "insensitive" because it was in your first post. I didn't put it in quotes because I had too many quotes there already. :) I see where you're coming from; I guess the impression I got from how you expressed your displeasure with the post was that you objected to its content in general, not its content without backup. The differences between the games come up here often enough that I don't feel massive recaps are all that critical, and of course it's not that hard to get the SegaCD games on eBay and play them on a free emulator. I do see your point there though as I feel the same happens with the people who have only played Legend and keep hearing how inferior it is to SSSC. (I liked it well enough for its cute sprites, so I'm happy to give it credit for that much.)

Just to offer a slightly different point of view, I totally felt it was worth it to get Ronfar's Health spells to near-maximum. I very nearly defeated Borgan with Shining Litany alone -- I only had Lemina and Ronfar left, and Ronfar's litany was doing very respectable damage and keeping them healthy. I made a fatal error in giving my last silver light to Lemina and my last starlight to Ronfar instead of the other way around, because Lemina got killed in the next round; had Ronfar had the silver light I think I would have finished the battle with just him, because that litany was restoring something like half his HP every round.

And, of course, the pay for saves thing is US-only. I don't really get the fuss, though, as it's only critical at the beginning of the game. The cost of saves increases much more slowly than the amount of M you get per battle; besides which, because of that you start out with 30 M (which you don't in the JPN version, of course), which allows you to save once and power up the Wind spells once. Those too do matter at the very beginning, because if you get them up to 3 or 4 Boomerang does comparable (or at least sufficient) damage in the Spire and costs 1 MP less than Poe Sword, at a point where that cost difference is important.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

I don't want to get in the middle of this, but on a quick emulator note, Gens gets a lot of attention as one of the best Sega CD emulators around, but you might also want to try Kega Fusion which emulates Sega's Master System, Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, and 32X CD. Just get the bios files, and rock both Lunars for Sega CD AND Walking School!

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

localflick wrote:I don't want to get in the middle of this, but on a quick emulator note, Gens gets a lot of attention as one of the best Sega CD emulators around, but you might also want to try Kega Fusion which emulates Sega's Master System, Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, and 32X CD. Just get the bios files, and rock both Lunars for Sega CD AND Walking School!

Eh, there's nothing to get in between of. I think we finished this a few days ago. I know I have nothing left to say.

segaboy7
Red Dragon Priest

Post by segaboy7 »

Using Emulators for the lunar's works quite well, as I finished Lunar EB sega cd on one about a month and half a ago. The only thing that it has problems with sometimes is the syncing of the voices and mouths in the fmvs. this was using gens. SO if your sega cd is dead, emulators are a good way to go.

lunar69
Meryod Yokel

Post by lunar69 »

I Just got a Sega CD after loseing both. It was a cold -Borgan- to find. Looked in almost every seattle baced pawn shop. I finaly got one again. I already beat the Sega Cd vershan of SSS. It was one of the greatest games ever. If only I could find it again.

What I loved the most about it is Burg gets destroyed and the music in maribia Was orgasmic. (heh heh)

if your looking for another good game for Sega CD look for a game called
Vay It is far beyond lunar SSS. It has accual Movie sceans. And the music is Great. Old school RPG. Story line is friggin Awsome.

Check it out
Be Yourself, Not Who You Wanna Be On MTV

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

What incisive and witty humor. :roll:

Burg isn't destroyed. The river is drained and the townfolk are captured, but they all return later in the game (except Luna, obviously).

Quite a few of us here have played Vay. I enjoyed it, but I don't think I've ever heard it called better than Lunar. Would have to replay it to determine whether I like it better than SSS (as opposed to TSS).

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Like Alun said, Vay is nothing new to many of us here. A good deal of us played it back when WD first ported it over.

I disagree, however, that it's better than SSS, let along any Lunar game. I played through it twice while I owned it. Nice game, fun, half decent characters, but not the calibur of any Lunar game, hence that for me its replay value only ranks it at 2.

Lunar is still one of the only games I've ever owned that I replayed over and over again because of its beauty. Only FF IV, Chrono Trigger, Suikoden I+II, the KoToR games, and FF X-2 are ranked in my gaming anthology with replay values as high as Lunar.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

The Sega CD was great!!!!!

Post by localflick »

Like Alun said, Vay is nothing new to many of us here. A good deal of us played it back when WD first ported it over.

Ranking aside, there were many great RPGs for the Sega CD, but for many reasons they weren't as accessable as Genesis or SNES games, so people are picking them up now. When I got my Sega CD there were no video stores in my area that rented them out, and the games were too expensive for an unemployed junior high school student to afford.

So now thanks to E-bay, games like Vay, Popful Mail, Shining Force CD, and Snatcher are discovered, and re-discovered thanks to what little disposable income we'll devote to gaming nostalgia. The Sega CD was a really underrated system that would've gone far if as Victor Ireland explained, it was viewed as a game console, and not a video player that uses $60 tapes. Many of those grainy Digital Pictures games were fun... the first time. Sewer Shark was only a half hour to complete, but was repetitive enough to feel like 2-3 hours. Prize Fighter was also fun, until you've played against the same four boxers six or seven times each. It all got very old very fast. But can you imagine what it would be like if Sega made more games like Sonic CD? Or if the 32X/32X CD had games developed for it that were on par with low-end Playstation games? It could've been a great system. But now that Sega's developing for everyone else, I just want them to put Nights: Into Dreams in one of their Smash Packs or as a PC releases. It might even be a good PSP title, or released for the DS with some kind of touch screen integration. Ah well, I just miss old school Sega.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

lunar69 wrote:if your looking for another good game for Sega CD look for a game called Vay It is far beyond lunar SSS. It has accual Movie sceans. And the music is Great. Old school RPG. Story line is friggin Awsome.

Pretty much what was said before... Vay was a good game, but, even though I still really like it, it's definitely average. There were a few gameplay issues (high encounter rates, necessary levelling-up, high MP costs for spells in the US version, etc.) that made it more of a chore to play.

It holds a special place for me since it was the first real RPG I ever played. I started Lunar: TSS immediately after that. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)