Halloween

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by AnimeJei »

Sonic# wrote:

My return question to you, because I find it highly interesting, is why you think we should respond differently if a woman produces material that we find objectionable to her gender, as opposed to a man?
Simple, I am referring to one of the first views of the Halloween drawings stating/asking that I wouldn't know whatsoever how painful those clothings or positions are and being well endowed. If I am female I don't think that remark would be made the same way, maybe worded a lot differently. That's all.

About the cats, I use to have a black one and he liked getting outside a lot so I had to be a lot more careful around "devil's night" and Halloween.. it seems like they do this stuff all over.
Image"Sample my goods!!"

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Kizyr wrote: mison... the equivalent term that'd be applied to men.
Dang Kizyr... now I'm going to be trying to coming up with an equivalent word all night. We would have to make one up I think if we were to use the root miso-. Misanthropic has an etymology similar to the word we need, but it means something completely different.

Dang... I have other things to do, but I'm going to think about this all night.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Werefrog wrote:
Kizyr wrote: mison... the equivalent term that'd be applied to men.
Dang Kizyr... now I'm going to be trying to coming up with an equivalent word all night. We would have to make one up I think if we were to use the root miso-. Misanthropic has an etymology similar to the word we need, but it means something completely different.

Dang... I have other things to do, but I'm going to think about this all night.
Well, it's probably something like misoandry (where gyne- comes from the Greek for woman, andr- comes from Greek for man, like with the word androgynous, which is a combination of both).

That's just taking a stab at it. Though considering the weird grammar of ancient Greek and Latin, there could be a suffix or something I'm improperly conjugating.

...I still never found out if "tesserakontaheptaphilia" is the proper word for "love of the number forty-seven". KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Misandry is the term in English, according to the OED. It was my first impulse, mainly the wish to keep the two vowel sounds from touching.

Can't check the Greek on the other one though. Would the k translate into the English though? I can't think of any examples of a greek derivation like that having a k in the English, but I can't think of many words in the first place.
Simple, I am referring to one of the first views of the Halloween drawings stating/asking that I wouldn't know whatsoever how painful those clothings or positions are and being well endowed. If I am female I don't think that remark would be made the same way, maybe worded a lot differently. That's all.
Good point. You're right, we would expect someone, in that case, to better understand, and so rather than making that comment it would be one of general surprise maybe.

So it would change the form of one of our speculations on you, but not the point of our criticism, which is ultimately aimed at the drawings.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

"Misandrist" is a charge often made of feminists: that they hate men. Which of course is true of a few, but by no means all.

There's a valid concept behind what the woman saying that women can't be sexist, but she used the wrong terminology. The concept is that we are all living in a patriarchal paradigm, which permeates so deeply that nothing can be independent of it. The oppressors and the oppressed do not do the same things. Men are the dominant class, women are the sex class (among other descriptions). However some women consciously and overtly support this paradigm, generally in exchange for favor from the dominant class.

I need to look up some stuff before I can address Sonic's post further. But in a nutshell, the blame for sexism is on the patriarchal system, not on men in general. But sexism isn't always the best term to use, because it implies more or less conscious acts, when the effects of patriarchy are often more subtle than that. An example I read recently was of a kids' softball (soccer? I dunno) coach who was completely open to girls playing on the team, welcoming them and stating to the mother that there's no sexism here, and undoubtedly meaning every word. The girl was indeed treated the same as anyone else playing. All seemed fine until he removed a boy who wasn't doing well with the loudly yelled statement that "if you're going to play like a girl I'll treat you like one."

Oh, Sonic's posted again. I would maintain that a female artist might not have much better an idea of how uncomfortable a pair of canteloupe breasts would be if she were slight of build herself.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

off topic

Color rough.

-Nobi

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Hehehe, nice shoes. :)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

thanks! ^^
-Nobi

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

This reminds me. I saw a female college student dressed as Pikachu this weekend. And by dressed as Pikachu, I mean she had on a low-cut yellow dress, black high-heeled shoes, and Pikachu ears from a kid's costume. Man... Halloween is weird...

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

But Werefrog, was she cute? =P

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Werefrog wrote:This reminds me. I saw a female college student dressed as Pikachu this weekend. And by dressed as Pikachu, I mean she had on a low-cut yellow dress, black high-heeled shoes, and Pikachu ears from a kid's costume. Man... Halloween is weird...
People come up with some nutso costumes for Halloween. It's my favorite holiday for a reason.

I went to a costume party last night, and I wore a fun costume. Some friends of mine took some pictures, hopefully I'll be able to get some and post them in the members pictures thread soon.

And Nobi, those shoes really are cool. I'd totally wear shoes with faces on them like that.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

She's cosplaying as Etna from Disgaea
-Nobi

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

-Nobi

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Oh wow, I didn't read that the other one was a rough coloring. See, that's what I get for oggling the picture instead of reading. >_>

Anyway, that looks awesome!

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

thanks! ^^
-Nobi

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

To those who observe it, Happy Halloween! :twisted:
Image"Sample my goods!!"

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Excellent work again, Nobiyuki. :)
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Really nice! I like the colors, they blend nicely. I think what I like most is your attention to lighting! :) Awesome job, thanks for sharing and a Happy Halloween to you too!

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

Man... That's awesome... Why can't I draw as well as a majority of the people on these forums?! ; ; At my school, we had to do a Senior Project where we dedicated a huge portion of time to it. For mine, I did a small manga, and I managed to dazzle the judges, but nothing like this! This is the cover page I made...

...I'm out of my league. >< That'a alright. I came up with what I believe is an excellent story for this manga of mine, but I'm thinking I might try and make it into a novel sometime in the future. I'm better as a creative writer than a manga-ka. XD
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Don't fret dude. That looks better than my senior thesis did (I just did a book o sketches). I'm still working on my stuff, though its been more than 4 years since I graduated. ^^;

... and don't steal my novel idea. That's what I'm doing with my manga idea (writing it as a novel, that is) ^^ The rough is done and I'm on the 2nd draft. ^^
-Nobi