alternative music / Favorite Genre

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.

Favorite Genre

classic rock
6%
rock
17%
alternative
6%
gothic/darkwave
No votes
metal
33%
prog rock
11%
punk
6%
country
No votes
hip hop/ r&b
No votes
jazz
6%
classical
11%
avant garde
No votes
blues
No votes
indie
6%
soul
No votes
pop
No votes

Total votes: 18

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

alternative music / Favorite Genre

Post by exigence »

I don't know about you guys but i was listining to music and i realized that there is more than just metal so i thought id throw out some sweet bands that id recomend checking out.

The Pixies
Black Lab
She Wants Revenge
Blind Mellon
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Toadies
Sonic Youth
My Bloody Valentine (dont confuse with bullet for my valentine they suck)
Morphine
Blur
Mors Syphilitica
Dead Can Dance
japan
incubus
hard-fi

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Re: alternative music / Favorite Genre

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Here's a few bands/singers I'd reccomend anyone listen to, complete with YouTube links so it's easy to do so!

Yeah Yeah Yeahs (Maps is their most well-known song, Turn Into and Y Control are great as well. Be warned, though, the video for Y Control has some violence in it.)

Sufjan Stevens (Chicago is awesome, and For The Widows In Paradise, For the Fatherless in Ypsilanti is one of my favorite songs ever... unfortunately, the only videos I could find on YouTube that had the song were some weird fan-made videos with footage from "The O.C.")

The Flaming Lips (Do You Realize? is their most well-known song.)

Ben Harper (Another Lonely Day is a really sad song, but it's sooo good.)

Feist (1 2 3 4 is the song from the video iPod nano commercials. Consumerist tie-ins aside, it's a great song.)

Cat Power (She's what Norah Jones wishes she was. Listen to Lived in Bars and The Greatest.)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

ilovemyguitar wrote: Sufjan Stevens (Chicago is awesome, and For The Widows In Paradise, For the Fatherless in Ypsilanti is one of my favorite songs ever... unfortunately, the only videos I could find on YouTube that had the song were some weird fan-made videos with footage from "The O.C.")

The Flaming Lips (Do You Realize? is their most well-known song.)
Funny you should say that. I listened to both <I>Illinois </I> by Stevens and <I> Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots</I> last night.

Both of those are amazing concept albums. Did you know that a musical is being adapted from Yoshimi? I may have to try to get to some place with culture to watch it.

I'll post the bands that I listen to after I finish my Spanish and watch The Office. But I'll warn you now: there's a lot of indie pop in my favorites.

Edit:

My favorites:

Sufjan Stevens
The Flaming Lips
The Shins
David Bowie
Gorillaz
The Postal Service

Edit 2:

Oh wait,
The Decemberists (my favorite album of theirs is Picaresque)
Regina Spektor
Weezer

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

Alice In Chains (grunge)
Porcupine Tree (prog rock)
Nine Inch Nails (industrial)
Opeth (progressive death metal)
A Perfect Circle (semi progressive rock)
Blue Scholars (underground hip hop, and when I recommend something from the genre that I like the least, you know it has to be good)
Mogwai (post rock)
My Bloody Valentine (one of the top two albums of the nineties, completely revolutionized alternative music with a unique approach to effects and it is the long standing monument for shoegaze music)
Slowdive (shoegaze)
Explosions In the Sky (post rock)
Dave Brubeck (free jazz)
John Coltrane (free jazz)
Miles Davis (free jazz)
Herbie Hancock (free jazz)
Duke Ellington (post bop jazz)
edIT (his first album 'Crying Over Prose For No Reason' is brilliant glitch hop)
Tricky (trip hop)
Massive Attack (Mezzanine is a must have because it's bloody perfect trip hop)
Radiohead (OK Computer is arguably one of the top two albums of the nineties, indie rock)
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

MetalFRO
Meribian Merchant

Post by MetalFRO »

Metal!!!!

I like a wide variety of music, but metal is my favorite.
Music reviews
Listen to "The Gamut" Sunday evenings from 9 PM - midnight EST on Blabber Jesus Radio!

ShadowTurk
Meryod Yokel

Post by ShadowTurk »

metal's my favorite genre above all, but I still like a variety of other things as well. just none of that nu-metal stuff *shivers*
I will never forget 7-21-2001 ...

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

I'm actually getting quite tired of metal at this point, the only bands that are really keeping my interest are Agalloch and Opeth. (Eh, I'll toss Between the Buried and Me in there for the sake of it)

Long live jazz :P
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

jazz is sweet, ill be going to college for jazz guitar next year.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Might as well throw a few out there:

Trans Siberian Orchestra (been listening to this a lot, being Christmas and all)
PAX217 (not well known, and has been disbanded for a few years now, but still awesome)
Burlap to Cashmere (if you're a fan of latin, Greek, and other cultural styles, you have to check this band out. They only have one full length CD from 1998, but supposedly there's a new one coming out next year)
Matisyahu (really become a great fan of his more and more as the year has gone on - very positive messages here)

I got quite a few more, but it's late. Those are definitely some of the best though, IMO.
-G1

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I know this is kinda off topic, but I'd like to let everyone know that I've come up with a great name for a band: Harry Harlow and the Barbed Wire Mothers. I can't wait to get Rock Band, so I can name my band that.

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DragonmasterAndy »

Ozone wrote:I'm actually getting quite tired of metal at this point, the only bands that are really keeping my interest are Agalloch and Opeth. (Eh, I'll toss Between the Buried and Me in there for the sake of it)

You have to know where to look, my friend. Seems, at least to me, you just need someone to direct you. :wink: (That was not an attack, by the way.)

My favorites don't only consist of metal, but here goes:

Heathen (Speed/Thrash Metal)
Artillery (Technical Thrash Metal)
Nile (Brutal/Technical Death Metal w/ a total emphasis on Egyptian scales and modes.)
Pagan's Mind (Progressive Metal. Dream Theater fans should take a note of hearing them. They slay DT.)
Eric Johnson (Progressive Blues/Rock/Classical/Jazz)
Vinnie Moore (Blues/Neo-classical/Rock)
Solitude Aeturnus (Traditional Doom Metal. GREAT BAND! Rob Lowe > Messiah Marcolin)
Gamma Ray (Power Metal. Kai Hansen is God!)

That's a mix of my absolute favorites, and things I've been listening to the most lately.
Choose Your Weapon

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

ShadowTurk wrote:metal's my favorite genre above all, but I still like a variety of other things as well. just none of that nu-metal stuff *shivers*
Nu-Metal doesn't even qualify as true Heavy Metal. That trend died though. Only bad thing is that Metalcore and terrible bands like Cradle Of Filth and Dummy Burger are still running rampant... :lol: :lol: :roll:
Choose Your Weapon

Hirox
Student of Vane

Post by Hirox »

I myself am a punk kid.
Im very fond of Folk/punk and Anarcho/punk.
Bands Everyone should check out:

Against Me!
Fake Problems
Mischief Brew
Two Gallants
Propagandhi
Atom and his package.
Ima Robot
Stellastarr*
Motion City Soundtrack.

I do enjoy the Flaming Lips as well.

ShadowTurk
Meryod Yokel

Post by ShadowTurk »

I know I should have posted this in my last post ... but all the stuff I mainly listen to can be found on my myspace (I'm too lazy to type everything out) :P
http://www.myspace.com/turkmasterzero
I will never forget 7-21-2001 ...

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Re:

Post by Ozone »

DragonmasterAndy wrote:
Ozone wrote:I'm actually getting quite tired of metal at this point, the only bands that are really keeping my interest are Agalloch and Opeth. (Eh, I'll toss Between the Buried and Me in there for the sake of it)

You have to know where to look, my friend. Seems, at least to me, you just need someone to direct you. :wink: (That was not an attack, by the way.)

My favorites don't only consist of metal, but here goes:

Heathen (Speed/Thrash Metal)
Artillery (Technical Thrash Metal)
Nile (Brutal/Technical Death Metal w/ a total emphasis on Egyptian scales and modes.)
Pagan's Mind (Progressive Metal. Dream Theater fans should take a note of hearing them. They slay DT.)
Eric Johnson (Progressive Blues/Rock/Classical/Jazz)
Vinnie Moore (Blues/Neo-classical/Rock)
Solitude Aeturnus (Traditional Doom Metal. GREAT BAND! Rob Lowe > Messiah Marcolin)
Gamma Ray (Power Metal. Kai Hansen is God!)

That's a mix of my absolute favorites, and things I've been listening to the most lately.

By all means, point me in a direction, I need something new to listen to before I go nuts. I've listened to a bit of Heathen, it's not bad and will probably grow on me, and Nile is just okay, while I like technical death metal, I just never really got into them. (I'm not touching (pure) prog metal or power metal though)

I'm finding my way back into Doom Metal somehow, I'll probably check out Solitude Aeternus.
Werefrog wrote:I know this is kinda off topic, but I'd like to let everyone know that I've come up with a great name for a band: Harry Harlow and the Barbed Wire Mothers. I can't wait to get Rock Band, so I can name my band that.
Can we call you Harry from now on?

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

Which Nile have you listened to though? Honestly, their newest album is probably their best one, and it totally rules.

For Heathen, which album or songs did you listen to?

Solitude Aeturnus totally destroy Candlemass, and in my opinion, that's saying a lot.

I don't see why you wouldn't touch pure power metal or prog. I love the common misconception people have about Power Metal. They've heard too much Rhapsody and all of a sudden think that's a great representation of the genre, when in reality, it totally isn't. Check out Pagan's Mind. They're not PURE prog, but they're more progressive metal than anything else. They destroy pretty much every band in that genre.
Choose Your Weapon

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

Annihilation of the Wicked was the last Nile album I listened to. I'll check which Heathen albums I listened to, I have the bloody things around here somewhere. The new Candlemass was brilliant, so, I'll definitely check out Solitude Aeternus.

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

Annihilation Of The Wicked was a grower of an album for me. I think it's pretty awesome though.

Both Heathen albums are great, but Victims Of Deception is probably my favorite Thrash Metal album of all time.

The new Candlemass IS brilliant! Rob Lowe = win. He's a great substitute for Messiah, and as I've said before, I think he's better. Solitude Aeturnus displays this even more.
Choose Your Weapon

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

Victims of Deception is the one I haven't listened to, I checked out Breaking the Silence and Recovered, though Recovered shouldn't really count as an album, it's more like a bunch of covers mixed with some demos.

Maybe I'll check out that new Nile album, but I'm enjoying King of the Grey Islands for now :) I can't honestly say I was a huge fan of Messiah Marcolini's style of vocals, he certainly had his moments, (Nightfall rings a bell), but I think two of their best three albums were without him (Epicus Doomicus Metalicus and King of the Grey Islands). I'm just seriously chomping at the bit for new Opeth to be released.

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

Listen to Victims Of Deception! PURE BRILLIANCE! Also, I swear that if you compare the production to ...And Justice For All from Metallica, I will kill a kitten! They're nothing alike! :lol:

King Of the Grey Islands is an awesome album. I think the best Candlemass album is Tales Of Creation, personally...

And check out that Nile album, whenever you get to it. It has tons of stuff all over the place. I was still listening to it three months after I had bought it and I was still finding new stuff in it. :lol:
Choose Your Weapon