PSP Go! = PSP NO

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

PSP Go! = PSP NO

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Re: PSP Go! = PSP NO

Post by Dark_Fairy »

That's why I tell ANYONE looking to buy a PSP (Offline and Online) to buy an older model and avoid PSP GO. Older = better.

Personally I prefer a "fat" PSP 1000, however those are hard to find so I would recommend the "slim" PSP 2000 series. If all else fails, buy a PSP 3000 if you aren't into homebrew (SOME 3000s can do part-homebrew, it depends on firmware and motherboard). Actually, some 2000s can only do part-homebrew too.

If you aren't into homebrew, pick up a 3000. At least 3000s have a UMD slot unlike PSP GO. >_>

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Yeah I took one look at the PSP Go's lack of UMD and figured there was no point waiting for it. Instead, I got a used PSP2000 and I'm very happy with it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I know this has been asked before, but didn't someone say there is no region lock? I can play the import next month on a US PSP? I haven't bought one yet, so I'm just curious.
-G1

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Yes, the PSP is region free. I have a few imports I play on my USA PSP with no problem. ^_^

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

What are the differenced between the 2000 and the 3000? I've read some issues regarding interlacing issues with the screen on the 3000, but I don't know if that's a major or minor issue. I would like whichever one has a better screen, and is a more solid functioning system.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Yeah, the interlacing scanline issues for the 3000 are the reason I opted for the 2000 instead (that and how the 2000 used price was much lower). I don't really know much of the details; I just took it on the advice of someone else I trust who knows a lot more about it--and suggested strongly that I go with the 2000. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

cj iwakura
Student of Vane

Post by cj iwakura »

Getting a Go is almost pointless, since the 2/3000 does everything it can do and more.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Sony made a huge mistake even manufacturing the Go, because it's overpriced and it does very little. They're going to be suffering another loss, and I don't know what idiot came up with the idea. All digital is good in theory, but when you omit beneficial system capabilities for existing users that is plain stupid.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Well, the only reason I'm not getting a PSP Go is because it's so much more expensive. I would have been totally A-OK with going 100% digital via downloaded games from the PSN (I've grown to hate fiddling with CDs, cartridges, etc), plus the smaller shape of this model is cool, but paying that much extra for this model just doesn't do it for me. If it gets a significant price cut or I'm able to get a used one for cheap before SSH comes out I'll likely get one, but otherwise I'll go with one of the older models.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

It's a waste. If you can find a 2000, do it.
-Nobi

Snipes101
Nanza Bandit

Post by Snipes101 »

Very true, my psp slim-2001 hasn't failed me yet, and I have to agree it is a screw over on price and hardware. If you wanna play region free games or some classic PSX games pop on some CFW and play with LEGITIMATE OWNED DISC/UMD's

fates
Red Dragon Priest

Post by fates »

I will never understand why Sony thought dropping UMDs alltogether would be a good idea. Even though it didn't succeed as a movie format, it did well as a game format.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I think they wanted more control over the market. With download only games, there are no used games for retailers to sell. The retailers aren't happy with Sony about the PSP Go, but Sony is expecting the retailers to understand that there will be PSN cards and downloadable game cards for people to buy at the stores in order to download games. This way the retailers are getting their cut.

What is the difference between the PSP-2000 and the PSP-2001 Slim aside from the obvious?

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

There really is no difference, slim PSPs are slim PSPs. They are just different models. Off the top of my head I don't know if they are different colors, or part of a bundle, but either way they are the same system.

Now, some of the later 200X PSP systems do have different motherboards than earlier 200X PSPs though.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I was looking online for a 2000 and they are still expensive, and some of them are overly expensive. I will not buy a used one because the screen or the system itself will be scratched up. Of course I want a Silver one, and it seems they only come in the Daxter bundle and those are expensive. I still am not happy about buying a PSP for one game, and there really isn't anything else I'd want for it. I just am not into handheld game systems. My DS is collecting dust.

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

i have no desire to get a psp go, im quite happy with my current one (it has darth vader on it ^^)
Im not really into DC, i like going into the stores and having and takeing home a pretty game case with a booklet inside.

question, if you have a psp go and you have tons of downloaded games on it and then it gets stolen/broken/lost do you loose everything, or is there some sort of memory somewhere that says you bought that game and you get it back on your new psp go if you where ever to re buy one? just curious