Alright, I broke down and bought a PSP.

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Alright, I broke down and bought a PSP.

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I was at the mall Christmas shopping and I randomly strolled into a GameStop. I babbled with the guy who works there about my interest in the PSP. Long story short, I ended up walking out with a pre-owned limited edition red "God of War" slim PSP. I also picked up a few games (God of War, Dissidia Final Fantasy, the Final Fantasy Tactics remake, and the first PSP Grand Theft Auto game).

Behold, my new baby in all its blood-red glory:

Playing Final Fantasy Tactics.
My new friend, Kratos. Am I to assume that he's watching me play?

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Re: Alright, I broke down and bought a PSP.

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Silver is better. :mrgreen:

So is it a 2000 or 3000?

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

It's a 2000 model. I honestly would have gone with silver if the GameStop guy hadn't gone on and on about how he was hooking me up by giving me the red one on account of how they're apparently really sought-after. And if it really is a collector's item, I may be able to sell it down the road for a bit of profit if I get tired of it.

I doubt that will happen any time soon, though. It really is a nifty game system. God of War is way more fun than I'd expected it to be, and I was eyeing Persona, Little Big Planet, and Half-Minute Hero pretty hard before I decided on the games I did get.

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

you bought a psp so close to christmas, what if santa brings you one?
well congratulations on your purchase, my friend has the same psp, the red is nice, but i like my white better.
Final Fantasy Tactics is a good game, but the constant battle after battle, and the fact the only thing you can do in the game is battles, gets a little boring but its addicting.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Yeah, I'm actually playing Tactics right now. I never actually finished it when it was originally on the PS1, but I've since played through and finished both Tactics Advance games. It's nice to go back and finally get some closure with this.

Dissidia is... okay so far I guess. There's a lot of pointlessly flashy fanservice cutscene action in the beginning of it even for a Square-Enix game, complete with lots of awful, awful dialogue and an epic storyline that is neither epic, nor (from what I can tell) a storyline. The gameplay itself seems interesting enough, but I felt so overloaded by the crazy pompousness of those opening cutscenes that I had to set it down. I'll get back to it eventually, but... oy vey.

God of War is simple, breezy fun. I just run around and kill stuff, sometimes with epic chained-together combos, and solve simple puzzles. It seems a bit on the short side, but it's got a bunch of different game modes, so perhaps it'll make up for what it lacks in length with replay value.

I haven't even touched Grand Theft Auto yet. I figure I owe it to myself to finally try one of these games. I got a used copy of it, so if I do try it and decide I hate it I can just return it within a week of when I bought it and get my money back, no questions asked.

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

Dissidia's "story" is horrible, after watching all the cut scenes for 3 characters, i just got fed up and started skipping them, it makes no difference, you don't miss out on anything, but i love the fighting. they could have gave the characters more attacks though. Dissidia has potential of being a good game, but missed the mark, i don't know what they where thinking. I still play it often though, I like getting the mognet everday

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

I honestly would have gone with silver if the GameStop guy hadn't gone on and on about how he was hooking me up by giving me the red one on account of how they're apparently really sought-after.
Hey, look! It's the reason I avoid Gamestop! :| Still, when I broke down I made my PSP purchase there. I went for Crisis Core, which I enjoyed more than I expected. (For me, FF7 is does not justify a purchase in itself.) Really wanna pick up that Half Minute Hero.

Dissidia: like seeing a bad play and a fireworks show at the same time?
「まあいいけど。」

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

were you honestly not going to get a psp? How would you have played the new Lunar?

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Get Jeanne d'Arc~!
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

I concur with Lunar Eclipse. Get Riviera: The Promised Land too, if you can find it that is.
"To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong. The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of Time itself. And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step..."

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

I really feel like I'm the only fan of Loco Roco...
I just bought a PSP as well (got a referb 1000). So far I've only got Loco Roco 2 and Star Ocean (first departure). I was thinking of making a star ocean thread later, but never got around to it. BUT without hesitating I'd recommend Loco Roco. There's just soo much child-like joy packed into that game! Anytime I needs a happy it does the job :D

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

Loco Roco sounds interesting. I'll look it up later...

Also, if you're an old school fan, you should look for CastleVania: The Dracula X Chronicles. Shouldn't be too hard to find.
"To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong. The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of Time itself. And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step..."

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

Anyone played Little Big Planet on PSP? What about Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines?
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

LBP is supposed to be pretty much on par with the PS3 counterpart, so it's a good game. Ass Creed is supposed to be decent on PSP, but not as enjoyable as the console versions. There was a review on G4 not too long ago, and I think they gave it 3 out of 5 stars.

Snipes101
Nanza Bandit

Post by Snipes101 »

That psp looks really sleek, not bad cosmetic wise. You'll love everything it can do from PSX to SNES if you go that far

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Okay, looks like I've got enough suggestions here to keep me busy with games until Lunar finally arrives.
Shiva Indis wrote:Hey, look! It's the reason I avoid Gamestop!
He was actually really nice. I've dealt with this particular guy a few times there, and he's generally a cool and friendly guy. He even helped me pick out what games to get, and I think he did a pretty good job of steering me in the right direction. I was just going to get a silver one, and he's like, "Hey, I have a single red one in stock, and they're rare. It's all yours if you want it." And now I'm honestly glad I got it, because it does look pretty, and it's sorta cool to know that it's a rare model.
Shiva Indis wrote:Dissidia: like seeing a bad play and a fireworks show at the same time?
That's pretty much Final Fantasy in a nutshell, isn't it?
Snipes101 wrote:That psp looks really sleek, not bad cosmetic wise. You'll love everything it can do from PSX to SNES if you go that far
I think I'd probably end up with some pretty awful karma if I engaged in video game piracy. I'm planning on self-publishing an album of some sort in 2010, and I wouldn't want someone to pirate that.

cj iwakura
Student of Vane

Post by cj iwakura »

Half Minute Hero is a wonderful little game.

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

Sounds interesting. Maybe I should try it out...

Justinzero
Lostest Boy

Post by Justinzero »

So I was jamming on more HSS this weekend, and I noticed the screen on my new PSP going to the craphouse. After this replacement, I'll be on my fifth, yeah fifth, PSP console.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

How long have you had this 3000? I'm going to be majorly pissed if the one I get ends up with defects.