Anyone have any new year resolutions?

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Anyone have any new year resolutions?

Post by phyco126 »

When I went home after work on New Years Day (Day, as in, only 45 minutes passed since midnight), I seriously thought about drowing in Yukon Jack. But... the sissy in me decided not to. I really hate morning sickness. =P

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Quark
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Quark »

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone! I truly appreciate it. I have now been smoke-free for 20 days. I am chewing less of the nicotine gum now. Overall, I would say that my cravings have gotten less frequent, but more intense for some reason. I will be fine, but maybe two or three times a day I will have a strong desire to smoke. When the craving hits me, I try to think about the reasons I chose to quite and then I pop a piece of the gum. So far, so good.

Quark
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Quark »

How is everyone else doing? Are you all sticking to your resolutions? When it comes to resolutions, I think it is important not to feel defeated if you slip up at some point. You just have to learn from the failure and try again incorporating what you have learned about yourself. Good luck to you all!

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Quark wrote:How is everyone else doing? Are you all sticking to your resolutions? When it comes to resolutions, I think it is important not to feel defeated if you slip up at some point. You just have to learn from the failure and try again incorporating what you have learned about yourself. Good luck to you all!
I'm doing great on one of my resolutions. I've been in overdrive on the writing front, plus I've secured an investor.

I still need a keytar, though.

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

Quark wrote:Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone! I truly appreciate it. I have now been smoke-free for 20 days. I am chewing less of the nicotine gum now. Overall, I would say that my cravings have gotten less frequent, but more intense for some reason. I will be fine, but maybe two or three times a day I will have a strong desire to smoke. When the craving hits me, I try to think about the reasons I chose to quite and then I pop a piece of the gum. So far, so good.
Thats good to hear ^^ keep at it~

So far iv made no progress in my resolution, but in a few days im going to see if i can get a job at this store thats opening up in a week or so, so thats a start. I dont know how much i want to be a cashier, but a job is a job, and my friend is one at a small store and she seems to like it.

Quark
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Quark »

ilovemyguitar wrote:
Quark wrote:How is everyone else doing? Are you all sticking to your resolutions? When it comes to resolutions, I think it is important not to feel defeated if you slip up at some point. You just have to learn from the failure and try again incorporating what you have learned about yourself. Good luck to you all!
I'm doing great on one of my resolutions. I've been in overdrive on the writing front, plus I've secured an investor.

That is great news. I wish you the best of luck! What sort of music do you typically write?
Kaiya-Sky wrote:
Quark wrote:Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone! I truly appreciate it. I have now been smoke-free for 20 days. I am chewing less of the nicotine gum now. Overall, I would say that my cravings have gotten less frequent, but more intense for some reason. I will be fine, but maybe two or three times a day I will have a strong desire to smoke. When the craving hits me, I try to think about the reasons I chose to quite and then I pop a piece of the gum. So far, so good.
Thats good to hear ^^ keep at it~

So far iv made no progress in my resolution, but in a few days im going to see if i can get a job at this store thats opening up in a week or so, so thats a start. I dont know how much i want to be a cashier, but a job is a job, and my friend is one at a small store and she seems to like it.
I agree Kaiya, a job is a job. This is especially true in today's troubled market. Unemployment is at 10% and we are not recovering quickly from this fiscal crisis. I will cross my fingers for you. Good luck!

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Its still a tad early to see if I'll be keeping my resolutions. So far I'm off to a relatively good start though. :)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Quark wrote:
ilovemyguitar wrote:

That is great news. I wish you the best of luck! What sort of music do you typically write?
I've done the alt rock thing for a loooong time, but this project is shaping up into a much more synth-heavy sound. Imagine if Kate Bush, M83, and Alphabeat all did a bunch of drugs together and wrote some music.

Quark
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Quark »

Sorry to bring back an old topic, but this is usually the time of year that everyone forgets they even made resolutions. So I figured I would bring it up for the last time just to see where people are at and to keep people motivated. I am happy to report that this is my 43rd day as a non-smoker.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Still keeping it on :D

Old_School
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Old_School »

I've never really been one to make resolutions, but I do have some goals for this year:

1) Finally curl that 80 lb dumbell I bought years ago. So far, I've only managed to do 70 in one hand.

2) Go back to college and resume working on a degree. I did two years of local college after high school, but put the final 2 on hiatus in favor of working the last several years.

1) Resume studying Japanese so I can finally play all those Saturn games I imported (especially Magic School).

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Quark wrote:Sorry to bring back an old topic, but this is usually the time of year that everyone forgets they even made resolutions. So I figured I would bring it up for the last time just to see where people are at and to keep people motivated. I am happy to report that this is my 43rd day as a non-smoker.
Good to hear! ^_^ Hope it continues to get easier for you.

I never got around to posting anything here, but I did have some goals to try for. One of them is in the process of coming to pass via events I set in motion last August and nearly forgot about until it popped up again in mid-Jan, so I'm happy about that. Just need to eke out time to work on it so I can meet a mid-Feb deadline in the busiest time of the work year for me... :shock:

Quark
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Quark »

Alunissage wrote:Good to hear! ^_^ Hope it continues to get easier for you.

I never got around to posting anything here, but I did have some goals to try for. One of them is in the process of coming to pass via events I set in motion last August and nearly forgot about until it popped up again in mid-Jan, so I'm happy about that. Just need to eke out time to work on it so I can meet a mid-Feb deadline in the busiest time of the work year for me... :shock:
Ok Alun, so you have aroused my interest. What is this resolution if you don't mind me asking? :P
Old_School wrote:1) Finally curl that 80 lb dumbell I bought years ago. So far, I've only managed to do 70 in one hand.
80 pounds with one arm!?!? Damn dude! I used to work out quite a bit and I don't think I ever used anything bigger than 40 pounds in each arm. You must look like Master Mel in his Hell Mel days! :lol:

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Getting at least one knitting design published, or at least out there (though heck, given the last several years, I'd settle for just getting around to submitting one). What happened is that last summer I went to a knitting conference and one of my designs caught the eye of the editor of a particular publishing venue, who asked me to send her photos as a reminder. Then there was absolute silence for five months and I convinced myself to forget about it until a couple of weeks or so ago when she wrote me and said she wanted to publish the design in an upcoming issue. So now I'm madly scrambling to get things together for my deadline. Most of the time the time issue wouldn't be so big because after all the design itself was already finished, but this is the worst possible time it could have occurred, workwise. Not to mention gamewise. :P

So assuming I manage to pull everything together, I will meet my goal of getting a design out there, in about the best possible venue, which is super exciting. But I sure wish I could remember how I managed to endure crunches during college, because I just don't seem to have te capacity for going without sleep that I used to.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Old_School wrote:I've never really been one to make resolutions, but I do have some goals for this year:

1) Finally curl that 80 lb dumbell I bought years ago. So far, I've only managed to do 70 in one hand.
Do you lift regularly (I would imagine if you can curl that much). Got any tips?

Quark
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Quark »

Alunissage wrote:Getting at least one knitting design published, or at least out there (though heck, given the last several years, I'd settle for just getting around to submitting one). What happened is that last summer I went to a knitting conference and one of my designs caught the eye of the editor of a particular publishing venue, who asked me to send her photos as a reminder. Then there was absolute silence for five months and I convinced myself to forget about it until a couple of weeks or so ago when she wrote me and said she wanted to publish the design in an upcoming issue. So now I'm madly scrambling to get things together for my deadline. Most of the time the time issue wouldn't be so big because after all the design itself was already finished, but this is the worst possible time it could have occurred, workwise. Not to mention gamewise. :P

So assuming I manage to pull everything together, I will meet my goal of getting a design out there, in about the best possible venue, which is super exciting. But I sure wish I could remember how I managed to endure crunches during college, because I just don't seem to have te capacity for going without sleep that I used to.
That is so cool! My wife is getting into knitting. Good luck.

I can definitely relate to not being able to go without sleep anymore. That's what happens as you get a bit older. I used to party all night and be completely ready to tackle life and studying the next day. Now if I get any less than five hours I am a mess.

Old_School
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Old_School »

phyco126 wrote:
Do you lift regularly (I would imagine if you can curl that much). Got any tips?
Yeah, I lift on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Different methods work for different people, but I curl or bench as much as I can in 3 sets of 10. When that becomes relatively easy, I move up 5 lbs and keep repeating the process. When curling, be sure to hold your back straight because it puts more of the work load on your arms and prevents potential back injury.

Protein intake also has a lot to do with it. A lot of sources say to consume 1g of protein per pound of body weight daily, but I do more like 3/4 and it seems to work well enough. My diet mostly consists of chicken, fish, turkey and protein powder.