Custom Firmware

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
Joshifer
Meribian Merchant
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Custom Firmware

Post by Joshifer »

for those of you who use CFW (Including myself) Please Don't just download an ISO of the game, Show support to xseed by buying it, we need to get the sales up by supporting it and hope for a remake of Eternal Blue and Finally An actual Lunar 3. So please Buy the game and lets show them theirs still a huge lunar following.

im playing the Demo now and i must say i hate the opening song, i liked the SSSC version better. hope they didnt mess with Luna's boat song. but the Music is great they redid everything with real instruments, love it, And I HATE NALLS VOICE!!!!
I Dream of a better world. A World where Chickens can Cross Roads without having their motives questioned!.

TerraBemani
Student of Vane

Re: Custom Firmware

Post by TerraBemani »

Well the thing is you cant please everyone with the game. Just look at all the people -Borgan- about Sonic 4 now with the leaked gameplay video. You can only do so much with a game and it's bound to upset someone no matter what.

I'm buying the limited edition box set myself. Anything Lunar I will buy. (Yes even Dragon Song my first ever DS game in 2007 XD) I would just get the CFW thing for better battery life since I get tired of getting less than 3 hours out of a 1200mah psp battery. And I don't think the 2200mah's work in my 2001 model slim.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

You'll be lucky if there is another future Lunar game, and even luckier if XSEED decides to publish it in the states after all of the whining and extreme elitist fanboyism of the previous localizations. Nothing is ever good enough for some people unless it's the same damn thing they already played.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Sometimes people with CFW only use it for malicious things like that. The sad thing is, that is why CFW hasn't really been released lately except for Team GEN's. Some developers were sick of the pirates. Pirating PSP games of all things is ridiculous anyway considering they are easily available to buy, even Japanese games these days.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Silver Phoenix wrote:You'll be lucky if there is another future Lunar game, and even luckier if XSEED decides to publish it in the states after all of the whining and extreme elitist fanboyism of the previous localizations. Nothing is ever good enough for some people unless it's the same damn thing they already played.
One thing that companies tend to understand better than the fans, is that fanboys don't represent the most significant part of your market. A fanboy is still only going to buy the game once (usually).

I really doubt that XSeed and GameArts are stupid enough to discontinue the Lunar series because of this. There're other reasons (lack of time/investment from GA, Shigema, et al., lack of financial support for the series, low estimates of financial viability, etc.), but whining from a few fans isn't going to be one of them.

SP, you also seem to overstate how much fans are "whining" about this. I've seen far more positive comments than negative ones thus far. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Kizyr wrote: SP, you also seem to overstate how much fans are "whining" about this. I've seen far more positive comments than negative ones thus far. KF
Yeah, I have no clue where you're seeing this "whining." It certainly isn't here. If you're talking about a place like GameFAQs, well... they whine about everything, so I'd take that with a large dose of sodium chloride.

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by whitedragon_nall »

Go take a look at the Neogaf thread about XSEED's localization. It's filled with almost nothing but whining. It's only one thread, but they're a forum that developers and publishers seem to pay attention to.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... 2&t=373896

It gets pretty crazy later on.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

whitedragon_nall wrote:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... 2&t=373896

It gets pretty crazy later on.
Thanks for the link. That definitely explains where SP is getting the idea of a lot of whining from.

However, it's still the same problem of a biased selection as most forums. The folks who feel really strongly negative are more likely to respond. Checking other places, such as here or YouTube, gets a whole different set of comments, the majority of which are positive. Unless the people on NeoGAF would've bought hundreds of copies of the game each, they're really only representing a small slice of the market (and the same could be said of us). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Ok, once again SP versus everyone else because I say something but of course I have to be wrong and I just imagine it.

I'm sorry, but I happen to know something that you don't and I'm not going to go into detail about it on here. Obviously the detractors have a louder mouth than the supporters, and you have to think about how a company feels when they try to please everyone even though they know they can't. Lunar has an extremist core fanbase, and that is a fact. Of course you have level-headed fans and then you have zealots. It's always nice to expand your audience, and you hope that people play a game and enjoy it objectively. The problem is people haven't even played the game yet and are bashing it, so of course when the game releases you are going to get that ten-fold.

There will be people who love the game, and people who hate everything about it. That is always the case with gaming. Sometimes it just isn't worth the trouble trying to please everyone so games get a pass, and are left in Japan.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what I say and people will come to their own conclusions. It's not an isolated case, and I prefer to be the one on the supportive side of things because I have history with the series and want it to have a future.

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

Do you work for Xseed? Because in the back of my mind I thought about that for a while. lol. I doubt it though.

Why can't you share insider info? Doesn't the community deserve to know? What could be so different about the US version from the JAP version?

I'm inclined to think nothing. Which is why all these complaints about this version are pretty much validated.

By the way, there are people who have played the JAP version and have played the US version and are not impressed.

In my opinion you are not a lone voice in the wilderness praising the good works of Lunar. There are far more vocal Lunarphiles then critics. You know why? Because people who don't like it move on to the next best thing. They don't dwell on something and convince themselves its great.

EDIT*** I Love the last page of the neogaf thread. It encompasses a lot of what I've been complaining about. Especially that picture. Haha. Love it.

I don't see so much of the neogaf thread as whining. They have some very real and valid complaints about this version.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Haha, no I do not work for XSEED. I am supporting them because they are doing a respectable job with the localization and they deserve some credit. I haven't played the Japanese version and I'm sure I'll be happy to play the localized version when it's released. The game is not meant to be ground-breaking by any means, just a wholesome story rebirthed for a new audience.

I'm sure aside from your apprehensions you'll find some enjoyment in the game.

Yeah, valid complaints about a game that hasn't been released yet. Come on now, Aaron. If people complain about the easy difficulty or the loading that is not XSEED's fault because they didn't develop the game.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Ok, once again SP versus everyone else because I say something but of course I have to be wrong and I just imagine it.
This is a disagreement. To avoid any semblance of subtext, I'm going to lay things out step-by-step.

On one hand, your claim is that the unreasonable critics of the new translation are going to be a significant stumbling block to the continuation of the series. Is this correct?

My, and Werefrog's, contention, is that the unreasonable critics aren't significant enough a section of the market to constitute a major stumbling block to the continuation of the series.

When you lay it out simply like that, it's a pretty basic disagreement. And not really worth getting defensive nor emotional about. We're disagreeing with you because we're looking at a different set of evidence and coming to a reasonable conclusion. The most logical conclusion is that you, too, are looking at a different set of evidence and coming to a different conclusion.

So, I, and presumably Werefrog, are curious about where that conclusion is coming from.

Your response is that "I happen to know something that you don't and I'm not going to go into detail about it on here." And then your conclusion that "of course when the game releases you are going to get that [criticism] ten-fold."

It appears, then, that we're at an impasse and there's no point in continuing to ask for your reasons why you've come to your conclusion.

What do you think? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

On one hand, your claim is that the unreasonable critics of the new translation are going to be a significant stumbling block to the continuation of the series. Is this correct?
No, that is your assumption of what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that as far as publishers are concerned, sometimes they don't feel as though it's worth the effort localizing a game if you're trying to sell to an erratic market. This shouldn't have any bearing on Game Arts decisions, because Dragon Song sold poorly and they still released another Lunar title.

My contention with you and Werefrog's comments was in regards to talking about people whining, and acting like I'm making it up. The whining does not only exist on NeoGaf, and I never even go to that site/forum to begin with. You seem to not realize that people also email XSEED with their whiny complaints en masse directly. Like I said, the detractors are always louder than the supporters. Trust me that I know what I'm talking about.

I have seen supportive fans as well as the zealots, and in the end we can only hope people like the end result as much as they wanted to fight against it. I am not being emotional, just a bit frustrated that people feel the need to gang up on me over trivial things. Do I need to have a red or green highlighted name to get any respect on this site? Sometimes it seems that way.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Lunar has an extremist core fanbase, and that is a fact. Of course you have level-headed fans and then you have zealots.
The problem is that you're coming off as one of the zealots, just to the opposite extreme. I mean, it's okay to like and even defend most of the choices in the new localization. I know I do. However, it just comes off as far too much when you start accusing people of the opposite opinion of being the poison killing any chance of future development and/or localization. That's simply not the case. I think fanatical devotion to the originals and constant deprecation of all altered content is as ridiculous as the next person, but there aren't many people here espousing that point of view. Most are very reasonable.

So, tl;dr version, being supportive is fine and being critical is fine, but both can lead to zealotry. Being on a particular side of the debate doesn't instantly make you "level-headed", and indeed, you've really been anything but with how upset you've gotten over some things that really didn't warrant such a response.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Please provide examples of me being a zealot because I have been very objectionable on both sides of the fence. If finding fault with me trying to tell someone to try something before writing it off is being a zealot, then I guess I sure am.

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

Haha I love how Lunar Eclipse is calling SP a zealot when his comments were the ones that brought Vic to this thread: http://www.lunarthreads.com/viewtopic.p ... 2&start=45

SP don't sweat it, in the Lunar community there are cliques. Some of these cliques are so zealous in their beliefs they just shut out anyone who disagrees with them.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I generally play Devil's Advocate, and I'm well aware of the cliques. I've been around longer than most, even before GhaleonOne. I've never stopped considering both sides of the argument when it comes to Lunar. We're a forum of strong opinions, and that will never change. No one should have to conform to one side or the other to fit in.

Snipes101
Nanza Bandit

Post by Snipes101 »

I hear you, but all XSEED can do is make a stronger patch then that of the US demo.
And in LESS then 3 days it'll be in .ISO format for the net to download. :cry:
(But I too am buying the limited edition 8-))

But it is sad I know, thats why
Dark_Fairy wrote: CFW hasn't really been released lately except for Team GEN's. Some developers were sick of the pirates. Pirating PSP games of all things is ridiculous anyway considering they are easily available to buy, even Japanese games these days.
their is hope; little by little people going legit now a days. That why sony, gamestop and others are make the deal even sweeter giving you lil toys, codes, free addons and etc etc. So their is hope :D

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Any true Lunar fan will make the purchase as they should. You can't display digital downloads on your shelves, or have a nice box/bonuses to add to your collection.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

TerraBemani wrote:(Yes even Dragon Song my first ever DS game in 2007 XD) I would just get the CFW thing for better battery life since I get tired of getting less than 3 hours out of a 1200mah psp battery. And I don't think the 2200mah's work in my 2001 model slim.
lol, that was me too. I bought a DS for that thing. The DS itself was easily the best thing I got out of the transaction.

CFW improves your battery life?? :shock:
「まあいいけど。」