Disliking Indie Films=Hate mongering and ethnic cleansing...

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Disliking Indie Films=Hate mongering and ethnic cleansing...

Post by LunarRaptor »

...apparently. This is an argument from anothr forum I just had. The topic is "Unpopular Opinions".

Me:
Indie films will never be as good as the mainstream. They're all made by a bunch of talentless arthouse film school students who are all about "sticking it to the man". I would rather sit through any mindless action film than sit through any mindless arthouse film about how some -Albino Baboon- was never content with his lot in life, so gets addicted to drugs and dies (that's the actual plot of the one arthouse film I've ever had the misfortune of being dragged to a theater to see).
Him:
I've bolded the indication that you're an -Albino Baboon-, you're welcome.
He bolded the "all".

Then things got to the point where the -Albino Baboon- had this to say:
The funny thing is I can't name any good indie films not because they're so bad, but because don't care enough about any of them to remember their names. This is an issue of principle: the logic to your criticism is the same logic that fuels ignorant propaganda, ethnic cleansing, and other such forms of hatred. You could even be right on the money and still be a stupid -Albino Baboon- just by the fact that you don't know for sure if what you're saying is the case.
Who's in the wrong here?
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Re: Disliking Indie Films=Hate mongering and ethnic cleansin

Post by Werefrog »

Who's in the wrong here?
All of them, Katie?

You're basing your opinion on one movie? He's spouting off nonsense about ethnic cleansing. It seems like you both need to cool down. Take it from someone who needed to cool down back when he first started posting on this forum.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

I've actually seen innumerable indie films, but that's the only one I saw in theaters. Sorry, I probably should have been that distinction better.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

...I can't tell who's saying what here.

One person is being hyperbolic and invoking Godwin's law by equating someone's rationale for entertainment with ethnic cleansing. There's not a lot to elaborate on there.

Another person is using really lousy logic to group all indie films in the same category. It's similar to saying that (a) everything I've seen by a studio with more than two vowels in the name has been bad, (b) I can't bother to remember any of the films made by studios with more than two vowels, and thus (c) every studio with more than two vowels in the name is crap. The indie/mainstream distinction is fuzzy at times, and every independent director is, well, independent. It's not propaganda/ethnic cleansing levels of bad logic ('cause I don't think using ridiculous hyperbole that trivializes ethnic cleansing is good form...) but it is rather arbitrary. - Replace "studio with more than two vowels" with French films, foreign films, etc., and you get the same arbitrariness but the underlying logic isn't much different.

So, no one's in the right? Does that mean no one's in the wrong? It's not really a right/wrong issue here... KF
~Kizyr (they|them)