We need more fans.

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Leo
BANNED
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: We need more fans.

Post by Leo »

All I said in the Pier Solar thread is that I wanted some people to give me their opinions on it since I was curious. As for Final Fantasy, X and on are incredibly linear. They kept the online games as being part of the numbered series instead of making it FF Online. They keep a firm grip on their rights to Super Mario RPG and thus no Geno in Smash. They decide FF7 is coming to the PS4 and they keep it looking as it did on PS1. I imagine the people in charge at SquareEnix are in a room doing THIS pretty regularly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfUM5xHUY4M

I've seen you defend a lot of aspects of TSS over SSSC, which also makes it surprising that people don't mind how tiny SSH feels. It feels like everything they've done Lunar related since Lunar Legends has pounded another nail in Lunar's coffin. There are so many insane hurdles in the way of this incredible series and the last thing we need is for them to think halfassing is acceptable. To manage to get all of the people involved in the originals that are still breathing in the same room and get them making a solid Lunar 3 would be a damn Christmas miracle anyway. If this is the negative tone to which you're referring, I don't believe it's unreasonable on these particular subjects.

At this point, I'd be satisfied with a Gaijinworks (since I can't have WD) English translation of Lunar: Magic School where the infamous encounter rate is sorted out.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Leo wrote:I imagine the people in charge at SquareEnix are in a room doing THIS pretty regularly.
Oh Square Enix. They may laugh at us, but we enjoy laughing at them too.
Leo wrote:They kept the online games as being part of the numbered series instead of making it FF Online.
This is really curious. To me, that would have seemed logical. If Tactics is its own series, why not Online as well?
Why does it make more sense to the gamers like you or me more than to the people who BROUGHT us the games themselves?
Do game companies need people like us to be their boss nowadays?
I was even gonna say that it's probably to get more sales that they make it part of the numbered series, but it doesn't sound that likely... Breath of Fire VI is doing this I think!!
Imagine Lunar Online... and by Square Enix? :lol: double kill.
Leo wrote:I'd be satisfied with a Gaijinworks (since I can't have WD) English translation of Lunar: Magic School where the infamous encounter rate is sorted out.
Yeah. This sounds much healthier.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Gah, in the Pier Solar thread I was confusing you with LunarRaptor. :oops:

I have certainly thought the same re putting the online FFs in the numbered series (not to mention the ludicrosity of having a game named X-2), and also thought it was ridiculous to put FF7 on PS4 without updating it, but those are are criticisms of SquareEnix, not of the FF (non-online) games. As I said, my husband's enjoyed all of them, and while I've been a watcher rather than a player for the most part, I really liked XII even as I found it ridiculous how it suddenly dipped into traditional fantasy-RPG from its political start. It may help that I have very limited experience with the earlier games -- I played Mystic Quest (and liked it well enough because I treated it as a beginner's RPG) and 1 and most of 2, but the rest I've mainly watched. I've really wanted to play 8 for, like, a decade. Make of that what you will.

There are few games that just irritate me every minute of playing them, and otherwise make me think that it's a waste of my time because I'm not enjoying it. Oddly enough, Grandia would probably fall into that bucket (though again I watched rather than played). I could not get past the 90s-website feel of some of the screens and my dislike of the idiot protagonist. But I might feel differently if I'd been playing it.

Re why I like SSH even though TSS is my favorite, the answer is simple: there's stuff to like in all of them. I can complain that this or that element isn't in a version, but for the most part that doesn't prevent me from enjoying other things. I accepted the totally non-range-based combat in Legend for the sake of admiring the battle sprites (and the humor in them, like Mia's staff dropping fish on enemies or Kyle wearing boxing gloves). To be honest, version differences interest me, from a design standpoint: why did the developers make this choice over that? For example, the lack of ranged-based combat in Legend makes perfect sense with the detailed sprites, because the screen is only so big. I'm okay with that particular trade-off because I do have other Lunar games to play if I want to enjoy the original battle system.

I do sometimes put myself to sleep by thinking about what aspects of each game I'd combine into the ultimate version. I'll post about that later, because it'd take too long to write it up right now.

Oh, and yeah, I will certainly agree that there are a number of flaws in the non-WD-released games that WD would've fine-tuned. They would've made Genesis playable, albeit after a while.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Alunissage wrote:Gah, in the Pier Solar thread I was confusing you with LunarRaptor. :oops:

I have certainly thought the same re putting the online FFs in the numbered series (not to mention the ludicrosity of having a game named X-2), and also thought it was ridiculous to put FF7 on PS4 without updating it, but those are are criticisms of SquareEnix, not of the FF (non-online) games. As I said, my husband's enjoyed all of them, and while I've been a watcher rather than a player for the most part, I really liked XII even as I found it ridiculous how it suddenly dipped into traditional fantasy-RPG from its political start. It may help that I have very limited experience with the earlier games -- I played Mystic Quest (and liked it well enough because I treated it as a beginner's RPG) and 1 and most of 2, but the rest I've mainly watched. I've really wanted to play 8 for, like, a decade. Make of that what you will.

There are few games that just irritate me every minute of playing them, and otherwise make me think that it's a waste of my time because I'm not enjoying it. Oddly enough, Grandia would probably fall into that bucket (though again I watched rather than played). I could not get past the 90s-website feel of some of the screens and my dislike of the idiot protagonist. But I might feel differently if I'd been playing it.

Re why I like SSH even though TSS is my favorite, the answer is simple: there's stuff to like in all of them. I can complain that this or that element isn't in a version, but for the most part that doesn't prevent me from enjoying other things. I accepted the totally non-range-based combat in Legend for the sake of admiring the battle sprites (and the humor in them, like Mia's staff dropping fish on enemies or Kyle wearing boxing gloves). To be honest, version differences interest me, from a design standpoint: why did the developers make this choice over that? For example, the lack of ranged-based combat in Legend makes perfect sense with the detailed sprites, because the screen is only so big. I'm okay with that particular trade-off because I do have other Lunar games to play if I want to enjoy the original battle system.

I do sometimes put myself to sleep by thinking about what aspects of each game I'd combine into the ultimate version. I'll post about that later, because it'd take too long to write it up right now.

Oh, and yeah, I will certainly agree that there are a number of flaws in the non-WD-released games that WD would've fine-tuned. They would've made Genesis playable, albeit after a while.
I'd skip that. Final Fantasy 8's story is full of plot holes that Ron Jeremy couldn't fill. Get the OST. It has one of the best soundtracks in the entire series. 4, 6, 7 and 9 are the ones everybody should play.

The different voices were really hard to stomach for me in SSH. I'll probably burst a blood vessel in my head if I ever hear of someone starting with that game, going back and playing the originals and complaining that they didn't have the SSH voices. No overworld a major offense that I couldn't overlook. The PSP's ability to give us proper Lunar and then NOT DOING IT is what enraged me the most. I agree with your sentiments about Lunar Legends. They did well with the GBA's capabilities. I can't say that for SSH and the PSP.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Actually, I have the FF8 OST and the arranged album (and have heard Liberi Fatali at least twice live). I've seen about half of it, up to the "yeah, we were all kids together" thing. It's not the story that I'm so concerned about; I've already heard about that. I liked the draw/junction system.

7 was silly to me and I don't feel any need to play it myself. 9 started out kind of neat and got silly too. 6's end scene irritated me too. No doubt I'd enjoy them as I was playing them, but I don't feel much interest in doing so.

I still maintain that annoyance with the voices in SSH (with which I totally agree!) and annoyance with the rest of the game are different things, as the former is a localization thing and the latter is a design thing. The art design of the towns and dungeons (not the size of them, but the style) was really great, though. Each town actually had individual interior design elements, IIRC. The Cave of Trial was actually shaped to fit into the cone-shape of Vane itself. I don't know that that I necessarily prefer that dungeon style, but it was neat that they actually made it sort of match. Jessica's bedroom is decorated with the same things you see in her first bromide.

Gotta go now so have to cut this short.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Guys guys guise. What is this?
https://store.na.square-enix.com/produc ... dition-ps4

................I didn't know this had even been announced.
Leo wrote:I imagine the people in charge at SquareEnix are in a room doing THIS pretty regularly.
Because this needs to be quoted more times xD
Good move Sony, on not having backwards compatibility, that way, Square can resell their games 10 more times throughout the year!

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Alunissage wrote:Actually, I have the FF8 OST and the arranged album (and have heard Liberi Fatali at least twice live). I've seen about half of it, up to the "yeah, we were all kids together" thing. It's not the story that I'm so concerned about; I've already heard about that. I liked the draw/junction system.

7 was silly to me and I don't feel any need to play it myself. 9 started out kind of neat and got silly too. 6's end scene irritated me too. No doubt I'd enjoy them as I was playing them, but I don't feel much interest in doing so.

I still maintain that annoyance with the voices in SSH (with which I totally agree!) and annoyance with the rest of the game are different things, as the former is a localization thing and the latter is a design thing. The art design of the towns and dungeons (not the size of them, but the style) was really great, though. Each town actually had individual interior design elements, IIRC. The Cave of Trial was actually shaped to fit into the cone-shape of Vane itself. I don't know that that I necessarily prefer that dungeon style, but it was neat that they actually made it sort of match. Jessica's bedroom is decorated with the same things you see in her first bromide.

Gotta go now so have to cut this short.
Aside from the music, I definitely thought Triple Triad was badass!

Those two systems are actually a major gripe for many a Final Fantasy fan. Drawing to 100 on everything was very tedious and junctioning said magic made people not want to cast magic much because they wanted to keep their stats. Though I definitely understand how you can enjoy it. I remember abusing a draw point for Ultima as soon as I got access to roam freely with the airship.

Mind sharing your discrepancies with 9? Also it would be great if you'd check out 4. It has been ported to pretty much everything but I recommend either playing it on Super Nintendo (american version is called 2) or Nintendo DS (Warning: It's significantly harder).

I love this. As you know from another thread I've made, I'm currently replaying TSS and I've found myself slightly annoyed with seeing a large house or a house that clearly has multiple rooms and go inside to just a small area.
jay_are wrote:Guys guys guise. What is this?
https://store.na.square-enix.com/produc ... dition-ps4

................I didn't know this had even been announced.
Because this needs to be quoted more times xD
Good move Sony, on not having backwards compatibility, that way, Square can resell their games 10 more times throughout the year!
Final Fantasy X was a major disappointment to me. I followed it in magazines and was all pumped and then it was linear as hell, the voice acting was meh and the story sucked. I didn't like Blitzball either. X-2 was hilariously bad and not only that...but they make an all female party and that apparently means it HAS to have concert singing and all of that crap. Seems a bit sexist in that regard.

I can't be mad about the PS4 not playing PS3 games. I have no idea what all goes into making a system backwards compatible. I remember when I first heard that the PS2 would play PS1 games as well. I was blown away. People take that kind of thing for granted now.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Back in the day, it was difficult to find backwards compatibility, with the SNES not playing NES games, or the N64 not playing SNES... though with an unofficial adapter, the SNES COULD play NES games. And the SNES officially supports GB games with an adapter. So it's not all that unusual. The Sega Genesis has all the hardware of a Sega Master System as well, but needs a cartridge converter. And what with the GBA compatibility with GB and GBC, and the 3DS compatibility with DS?

The PS3 can play PS1 and PS2, but barely...
The Wii U can play Wii games, but not GC games, which the Wii could... but thats ok.

Way I see it is this: if they cant make it at least compatible with the system before it, then it's too early to make the console.
As the years pass by, we get more and more hardware. It's only logical to try to save space by having multiple consoles in 1. The PS3 and PS4 aren't all that small either xD.

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

The sad irony of fan disappointment in Lunar's vanishing profile and nonexistent sequels is that its trajectory essentially mirrors Althena's in Eternal Blue, in what we used to call "the Goddess' suicide" in the mid-1990's: "Lunar" as people remember it has been dead for many years, but a facade (or the Order of Althena, if you go with my silly analogy) has existed for the past two decades that made it difficult to notice this fact.

Studio Alex, the heart and soul of the original Mega CD series, was crushed by Game Arts in a damage suit in 2003 (http://www.translan.com/jucc/precedent-2003-03-13.html) in revenge for a secondary copyright suit the studio brought against it. "Yes, Hiero and Lucia, I'm afraid I must tell you that Althena...er, Studio Alex has been dead for twelve years now."

Game Arts is little better. Takeshi Miyaji, a key figure in company (creator of Gun Gryphon and Grandia) and brother of Game Arts boss Youichi Miyaji, sadly died of a brain tumor in 2011. Game Arts was absorbed by online-focused Gungho Entertainment in 2005 and its output has been frankly minimal...beyond the occasional Lunar 1 port, the most recent of which sold abyssmally, I'm afraid.

Scenario writer Kei Shigema, character designer Toshiyuki Kubooka, and composer Noriyuki Iwadare were never formally part of Game Arts and are doing other things, though I suppose they're the most accessible of the bunch.

Victor Ireland would surely be ready to preserve the spirit of the series in a good translation, but it's not as though he is a game production company with the capacity to somehow gather the old staff and put them on making a new entry.

I imagine that if the copyright situation weren't so complicated, people could still enjoy the 16- and 32-bit originals via virtual console in a way that would enable Lunar's legacy to continue. For now, though, I see the series mostly just receiving the same treatment being administered to Ys or Fuurai No Shiren/Shiren the Wanderer (or Final Fantasy, arguably), where a team of largely unrelated people at the shell of Game Arts produces an occasional remake that doesn't quite ring true. The Goddess Tower is empty, I'm afraid. A dismal assessment, but that does make efforts to share the 1990's originals on everyone's part especially impressive and meaningful.
Last edited by Temzin on Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
aka Maou

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

The PC FF8 (out and downloadable now) is preferable if only because it allows one to automatically have 100 of every common magic. I think it's fair to make drawing a challenge for the rarer magics, but otherwise it requires a degree of grinding that is less acceptable than it was in 1998.
Both handheld SSS games brought in new bits of story, and SSH especially had a lot redone. I don't understand why it's so criticized, tbh (though I've still only played most of it in Japanese).
I don't understand the criticisms either. I only got halfway through the game because of a game-freezing event in the Blue Dragon Cave that I could not figure out a way around. It was a real shame, because otherwise I was having a great time. The artwork and sound quality were great, and I could go with the variations in dialogue.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Temzin wrote:The sad irony of fan disappointment in Lunar's vanishing profile and nonexistent sequels is that its trajectory essentially mirrors Althena's in Eternal Blue, in what we used to call "the Goddess' suicide" in the mid-1990's: "Lunar" as people remember it has been dead for many years, but a facade (or the Order of Althena, if you go with my silly analogy) has existed for the past two decades that made it difficult to notice this fact.

Studio Alex, the heart and soul of the original Mega CD series, was crushed by Game Arts in a damage suit in 2003 (http://www.translan.com/jucc/precedent-2003-03-13.html) in revenge for a secondary copyright suit the studio brought against it. "Yes, Hiero and Lucia, I'm afraid I must tell you that Althena...er, Studio Alex has been dead for twelve years now."

Game Arts is little better. Takeshi Miyaji, a key figure in company (creator of Gun Gryphon and Grandia) and brother of Game Arts boss Youichi Miyaji, sadly died of a brain tumor in 2011. Game Arts was absorbed by online-focused Gungho Entertainment in 2005 and its output has been frankly minimal...beyond the occasional Lunar 1 port, the most recent of which sold abyssmally, I'm afraid.

Scenario writer Kei Shigema, character designer Toshiyuki Kubooka, and composer Noriyuki Iwadare were never formally part of Game Arts and are doing other things, though I suppose they're the most accessible of the bunch.

Victor Ireland would surely be ready to preserve the spirit of the series in a good translation, but it's not as though he is a game production company with the capacity to somehow gather the old staff and put them on making a new entry.

I imagine that if the copyright situation weren't so complicated, people could still enjoy the 16- and 32-bit originals via virtual console in a way that would enable Lunar's legacy to continue. For now, though, I see the series mostly just receiving the same treatment being administered to Ys or Fuurai No Shiren/Shiren the Wanderer (or Final Fantasy, arguably), where a team of largely unrelated people at the shell of Game Arts produces an occasional remake that doesn't quite ring true. The Goddess Tower is empty, I'm afraid. A dismal assessment, but that does make efforts to share the 1990's originals on everyone's part especially impressive and meaningful.
That's the most awesomely depressing post I've ever read on here.

Even still...WHY is the copyright situation so complicated? If those people love Lunar in the same way this lot does, the answer is simple...but from a BUSINESS standpoint, why aren't they all doing what they can to sell their "shares" or however it works? It's not like Lunar is a cash cow.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Leo wrote:That's the most awesomely depressing post I've ever read on here.
While all of that is true, I won't lose hope until i'm 30 feet under :lol:
There are many talented people on this planet still.
Do you know Eiji Aonuma?
He started working on the Zelda series with Ocarina of Time. Look at the success the man brought to a series that was already well established.
Look at the voice actors for Super Smash Bros. They are all different for each game, yet the last one, who is much younger than the previous guys, has the best voice of them all.
Do you know who Koji Igarashi is?
He started working on Castlevania mainly with Symphony of the Night, and he practically changed the series from good to epic.

I don't really know who Temzin is... could be Studio Alex itself behind that account :lol: just jokes.
But this person seems to be REALLY well informed about Lunar. If Temzin hasn't yet worked on a Lunar game already, I'm sure there's great opportunities there.

The bottom line is that I have already accepted many years ago that the goddess Althena is not in the tower, but what we are forgetting is that there could very well be another. Whoever brought SSH to the PSP is a hero to me even if it could have been done better.

When you finished Lunar 1, there was no more Alex, Nall and Luna.
You think they will never be replaced, but Lunar 2 taught me that new characters could come in and teach me all sorts of new things. It can totally happen a 3rd or 6th time. The human race is far from using it's 100% capacity, just the fact that Lunar is stuck in legal issues proves that. I have faith that someone could bring something new that will fit perfectly well with Lunar if the original team won't come do it.

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

Oh, I've been around here from time to time...more back when the series was truly alive. I should note that my gloomy forecast is not for any dearth of love of the series. I did this for G1 one time in my free time in about ten days in a rush, for instance, because the games were so important to me: http://lunar-net.com/interviews/lunaripii.php

That said, I think the most healthy way for Lunar fans to "grieve" or come to terms with the fact that there will be no new fans or games is look at it not as a series that's stopped short, but rather as two discrete masterpieces that brought together a wonderful team for a short, special time. They won't be doing a reunion tour, but what they left here is quite important to us. The other way would be to see it as a series, like dear old Mega Drive Phantasy Star, whose story was decisively finished, and has no need or possibility of a continuation. Alternately: would you really want a new Lunar game that didn't involve the true creators? (The DS game says: no.)

If Game Arts ever figured out how to marshal all the rights of the 16- and 32-bit originals from Kadokawa Shoten/ESP/JAM/Studio Alex's ghost (and could be bothered to do so, given that Harmony sold a horrifying 17,000 copies), it would be wonderful to see the originals shared across generations for others to enjoy like any classic game. More than the absence of a sequel, I think that lack of preservation is the saddest aspect of Lunar's current state. Until that happens, don't scratch those discs, and keep sharing those MCD/Saturn/PS games with your friends!
aka Maou

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

But there can be and ARE new fans! I'm an example of one. I was introduced to the series in Jr. High and if not for a friend who had me borrow his copy and his PS1 to play it on, I likely wouldn't know the series as anything other than a short review or advertisement in Game Informer or Electronic Gaming Monthly. I do what I can to pay it forward and get open minded people to play them. If a few laws have to be broken in the process, those are the breaks. If they refuse to do anything substantial with the series, I see no ethical dilemma in downloading it. I'd never get anything that's still being printed and available in stores, but once it has no impact on anyone's pockets then I'm fine with it.

There are only so many physical copies of a game in existence and eventually they'll all just be cool pieces of plastic to look at because they won't work in the system. The system will suffer the same fate itself eventually. Roger Ebert can go -Fatal Hopper- himself. Video games ARE art and I'm all for preserving art.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Temzin wrote: Alternately: would you really want a new Lunar game that didn't involve the true creators? (The DS game says: no.)
LOL whatddya meeaan? the cover said it was made by the same creators of The Silver Star!
Ok, no. "The DS game" had good things, but it is not a voice strong enough to answer such a trivial question. One look at that battle system, and it's clear that there was not much interest, brains, or budget put into this. Maybe good intentions, but it just doesn't count in this case.

Look at MegaMan. Its creators can't even do anything with this character anymore. But Nintendo had a chance to do something with MegaMan, a company that I'm assuming had NOTHING to do with that character until Super Smash Bros 4, and it resulted into bringing him back in such a spectacular way that I had hardly seen something like that before in MegaMan's history...

I cannot even name a company off the top of my head that seems capable of doing the same for Lunar, but if a company with the brains, the love, and the budget for a good JRPG acquired it magically, i'm very sure things wouldn't end up like "The DS game".

Come to think of it, WHO makes epic JRPGs nowadays? Back in the day it was Squaresoft. I saw a few epic ones during the DS era (ironically) by Atlus or some others, but not much since.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

If Lunar's fandom is to grow, the surest bet is a straight up a new Lunar. The old ones are, well, old even with the occasional updates. As much as I don't want a Lunar 3, it is the best shot this series has of surviving.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Nonononoki
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Nonononoki »

I think the only way to get new fans is releasing new games. Let's me honest, most of us are oldfags who played Lunar games 2 decades ago and probably have already "given up" on the series. No one actually cares about Lunar anymore. If you would ask a random stranger on the street if they know about the Lunar series, there's a 99.99999% that they have never even heard about it.
What I really wish for is a remake (yes, another one) of the two Lunar games for PC, PS4 and Xbox One and proper ports of the PS1 version for iOS and Android.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

I think those remakes would requite major overhauls before they'd catch the eyes of many new players. Lunar: Silver Star Harmony didn't exactly make a tsunami in the market.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

LunarRaptor wrote:I think those remakes would requite major overhauls before they'd catch the eyes of many new players. Lunar: Silver Star Harmony didn't exactly make a tsunami in the market.
... but that doesnt mean that the game wasn't "good enough".
Look at Earthbound. Simplest graphics, simplest gameplay (its basically Dragon Quest), lots of grinding... yet it caught on, at least much later than the makers hoped.
Actually, if Earthbound had the graphics of a generic JRPG like... Hyperdimension Neptunia or any game in the Tales of series, it probably would have NEVER caught on. So the graphics matter but they're not the real reason LSSH didnt make a "tsunami" in the market.

LSSH had issues that i'm sure influenced in it not being as recommended as much. Many other PSP games didn't have these issues. Even I, who really enjoyed the PSP version of Lunar, would rather recommend the PS1 version to other people instead.

But that's not all that's at fault... lots of JRPGs are bland and ridiculous since like ... the PS2 era. That system is flooded with the silliest JRPGs ever, starting with Final Fantasy X-2. That game created a tsunami, yeah, but not one you want to see Lunar doing. So people have lost some interest for JRPGs.
I've seen really amazing games that had a deeper story than Lunar and more balanced and in depth gameplay, with great graphics and music, and still not so many played them, but most were portable. People consider handhelds to not be their main way of gaming too.

All these things could influence popularity.
Nonononoki wrote: What I really wish for is a remake (yes, another one) of the two Lunar games for PC, PS4 and Xbox One and proper ports of the PS1 version for iOS and Android.
This is basically it. But instead of iOS, 3DS is better, it's the most popular that has REAL BUTTONS and the games will practically never crash. >__>

Nonononoki
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Nonononoki »

jay_are wrote: This is basically it. But instead of iOS, 3DS is better, it's the most popular that has REAL BUTTONS
As much as I like the 3DS, I think handheld consoles are dying out (I myself only own handhelds btw). People probably only buy the 3DS 'cause of the Nintendo exclusive games like Pokemon, Zelda Smash Bros ect.
Almost anyone nowadays owns an Android or iOS device, so it's just more accessible for new people to get to know Lunar.
jay_are wrote:and the games will practically never crash. >__>
That's what I meant with "proper ports" :p
Last edited by Nonononoki on Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.