CAn you believe it!

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Dragonmaster Dyne
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

CAn you believe it!

Post by Dragonmaster Dyne »

Counting all the members on this forum there is a total of 526 people who have not posted. Do they just want to look but not post because i think you can do that without a membership. Or is it, they have an OCD problem and just have to sign up for anything that is available to them.

You decide!!!!!
Today is two days before the day after tomorrow.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

My guess is that they signed up when there was no automatic confirmation of new accounts, and between the time they signed up and the time they got their confirmation e-mail the urge to post had passed.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

That and the sheer amount of spam accounts that probably got through before we started checking. Not to mention, the amount of people before admin authorization that probably signed up, thought about posting, then didn't, and forgot the place even existed. Having half your members make a post, if you don't go through and prune dead accounts, isn't really bad at all. Many forums have a much larger percentage of non-posting users.

Oh, and I'm getting a feeling of dejavu. Did someone make a post similiar to this recently, or have I been dreaming things again?
-G1

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

You're right, G1, this was posted a couple of weeks ago as well. I actually thought that this was the post from a couple of weeks ago until I saw the date.

Edit: Wait a minute... it was by the same poster too!

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

GhaleonOne wrote:That and the sheer amount of spam accounts that probably got through before we started checking. Not to mention, the amount of people before admin authorization that probably signed up, thought about posting, then didn't, and forgot the place even existed. Having half your members make a post, if you don't go through and prune dead accounts, isn't really bad at all. Many forums have a much larger percentage of non-posting users.

Oh, and I'm getting a feeling of dejavu. Did someone make a post similiar to this recently, or have I been dreaming things again?
http://www.lunarthreads.com/viewtopic.php?t=2430

Yes, something like it was posted, except then it was Dyne bringing up the large number of posters in general compared to the number of posts, and my bringing up the never-active number. (I think it was a bit less than 526.)

I think it's just that they join and find they don't have the time, or the interest, or the inclination to post anything. That's what normally happens to me elsewhere.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Dragonmaster Dyne
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonmaster Dyne »

Correct a post was similar to this that i started but it had a different topic. The previous topic in which you are thinking of is the amount of people that has been on here at one time, this post is to ask why do you think people create account and never post anything. Similar but different.
Today is two days before the day after tomorrow.

Indignation22
Saith Pirate

Post by Indignation22 »

I don't understand the whole concept of spammers... I mean.... why do you need to sign up to something if you don't use it? Is there some real reason behind it or are people just screwy?
"The French propose to fight us with their ideals of bravery, chivalry and fraternity, which we will counter with the German realities of infantry, cavalry, and artillery."
Xbox 360 tag- Indignation22

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

It's a form of advertisement (albeit a shady one). Almost all the spammers at this point are spam bots. Basically sophisticated software that registers to hundreds or thousands of popular forum systems and posts some kind of spam trying to get links to whatever they're selling or promoting. And they do it in sneaky fashion (trying to make posts that seem like they're part of the conversation, but so obviously not, and using smilies that are actually hot linked to whatever page they're promoting).
-G1

Indignation22
Saith Pirate

Post by Indignation22 »

^wow.... never knew. I guess that is why you have the whole thing where an admin needs to verify new members?
"The French propose to fight us with their ideals of bravery, chivalry and fraternity, which we will counter with the German realities of infantry, cavalry, and artillery."
Xbox 360 tag- Indignation22

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Indignation22 wrote:^wow.... never knew. I guess that is why you have the whole thing where an admin needs to verify new members?
Spambots are pretty common. About 90% of new "registers" for the board are bots, only one out of ten is human usually. Same goes for most forums, especially PHPBB ones (though non-protected ones are usually hit worse, like the old Shrine to Ghaleon boards).

Here, this'll give you an idea of what I look at when I'm authenticating new members:
Image. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)