my mission

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

my mission

Post by exigence »

I've made it my goal to crack into the neighbors wifi. Not that mine doesn't work and not that the other neighbors' doesn't work either. its just one of those things I gotta do to get out of my system. like using net commands to shut off peoples computers at the library. anybody know of any programs that make it a little easier... iv pretty much been guessing passwords and admin isn't one of them.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Re: my mission

Post by phyco126 »

exigence wrote:I've made it my goal to crack into the neighbors wifi. Not that mine doesn't work and not that the other neighbors' doesn't work either. its just one of those things I gotta do to get out of my system. like using net commands to shut off peoples computers at the library. anybody know of any programs that make it a little easier... iv pretty much been guessing passwords and admin isn't one of them.
You do realize that what you plan on doing is considered a criminal offense, and possibly carries the charge of Cyber Terrorism?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

BattleMedic
Student of Vane

Post by BattleMedic »

exigence wrote:I've made it my goal to crack into the neighbors wifi. Not that mine doesn't work and not that the other neighbors' doesn't work either. its just one of those things I gotta do to get out of my system. like using net commands to shut off peoples computers at the library. anybody know of any programs that make it a little easier... iv pretty much been guessing passwords and admin isn't one of them.
What did they do to you?
To have no fear, you must know fear.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

eh you know the usual obnoxious neighbor type things, barking dog, noisy kids, riding their 4 wheeler in circles around their quarter acre of land (how this is still enjoyable after 4 years ill never know. They really don't bother me that much its the hillbillies that live on the other side that I don't like. Really its just something i want to do, I cant let those smug-synonym-for-donkey neighbors with their high and mighty passwords keep me out. The signal is being beamed into my house after all I have every right to do with it as I please. as much as you want you cant ever really own wifi.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

exigence wrote:The signal is being beamed into my house after all I have every right to do with it as I please.
No, really you don't have that right.

Sure it is possible to break WEP keys, you can do it in around 10 minutes or so if you got the know how and the equipment. If you want to break into the router itself to change their settings, then all you really need is a password guessing program that will automatically search for it.

Fun things to do to peoples router? Block random sites, like MSN, myspace, yahoo, google, hotmail.... however these are all things that can be done to your own family (and its quite funny too) but doing it to others can get you into some VERY serious trouble if caught. Yes, it is possible to be caught ;)

Maru
Bromide Hunter

Post by Maru »

phyco126 wrote:
You do realize that what you plan on doing is considered a criminal offense, and possibly carries the charge of Cyber Terrorism?
Not to mention sophomoric.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

phyco126 wrote:
Fun things to do to peoples router? Block random sites, like MSN, myspace, yahoo, google, hotmail.... however these are all things that can be done to your own family (and its quite funny too) but doing it to others can get you into some VERY serious trouble if caught. Yes, it is possible to be caught ;)
Good thing i stick to the ethernet cable in my house, i've never really felt the need for wifi in my home im not outside surfin the web trying to get a tan at the same time. well actually now that i mention it that would be cool, all the more reason to get those keys.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Ethernet based connections can still be hacked, if someone REALLY knew what they where doing.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

exigence wrote:eh you know the usual obnoxious neighbor type things, barking dog, noisy kids, riding their 4 wheeler in circles around their quarter acre of land (how this is still enjoyable after 4 years ill never know. They really don't bother me that much its the hillbillies that live on the other side that I don't like. Really its just something i want to do, I cant let those smug-synonym-for-donkey neighbors with their high and mighty passwords keep me out. The signal is being beamed into my house after all I have every right to do with it as I please. as much as you want you cant ever really own wifi.
So when you talk on your cell phone, and those signals get sent out, and I happen to overhear them because I'm tapping on some wires, I have every right to do so?

How about when you're on the computer right now? Can I just go and look at your internet history? After all, I can access it from here. It's being beamed into my playground, the internet.

The trouble with insisting on territorial borders with electromagnetic fields is that they don't work under the same laws. You might "own" the airspace through which those waves pass, but they own the router that provides those waves. They own the source of the wifi. Do you pay them or ask them for the use of their router? If not, then you are stealing from them. And they have every right to keep you from stealing their property, so long as it doesn't unduly harm you.

If Wifi were this ether-like field strung across the whole universe, your claims would hold weight. But it isn't. It is provided from a variety of sources, including government initiatives, Internet Service Providers, and the people who buy their internet honestly.

And their being smug or not shouldn't have anything to do with what you do. I mean, really, what lesson will it teach them? That they should put down their smugness and take down their password system because it makes their neighbor annoyed? Yeah right. More likely, they'll throw up another password and think you're a childish thief.

So, please don't try. It's unethical, criminal, and a childish ploy at revenge for petty reasons.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

All you guys are missing the point, none of you have ever wanted to do something just to have been able to do it. see its not about wanting to steal their wifi, i can already get it from my other neighbors who weren't smart enough to use a lock.
How about when you're on the computer right now? Can I just go and look at your internet history? After all, I can access it from here. It's being beamed into my playground, the internet.
Honestly if you did that i'd probably pat you on the back and say wow that was pretty slick. There's too many BS laws anymore. Would you call it cyberterrorism if i had to hack wifi to use an internet phone service to dial 911?

Maru
Bromide Hunter

Post by Maru »

exigence wrote:All you guys are missing the point, none of you have ever wanted to do something just to have been able to do it. see its not about wanting to steal their wifi, i can already get it from my other neighbors who weren't smart enough to use a lock.
Honestly if you did that i'd probably pat you on the back and say wow that was pretty slick. There's too many BS laws anymore. Would you call it cyberterrorism if i had to hack wifi to use an internet phone service to dial 911?
There is a huge difference between wanting to do something just to say you did it in the bounds of legality, and wanting to do something illegal just to say you did it to earn cool points with your friends. :roll:

Those "BS" laws exist for reasons. Also, your example is the highest of most unlikely situations. "Oh, you're dying of a heart attack! Can you wait, like, 15 minutes while I hack into my neighbors wifi so I can dial 911? My cell phone, you say? Psh, no way, this will be WAAAYYY cooler!"

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

My cellphone? I don't get free minutes until after 9. Sorry.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I seem to recall that calls to 911 are not charged to the phone.
exigence wrote:none of you have ever wanted to do something just to have been able to do it.
More like none of us have ever wanted to do something petty, childish, and illegal just to have been able to do it. Or maybe we have and think that it was stupid and pointless and see no reason to sympathize with you while you're whining about people actually protecting things they paid for.

Not to mention that people on this site and pretty much anywhere have a vested interest in not making it easier for someone to break passwords, no? Why would you expect help here?

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

I wouldn't recommend doing that. If you get caught, you could land in some serious trouble. Having been caught doing something illegal is something that is almost impossible to get off your record. There are pleanty of things that you can do just to be able to do it and they AREN'T Illegal.

HiroOne
Red Dragon Priest

Post by HiroOne »

Only ramus steals dragon diamonds. You don't want to be Ramus, would you?

meg
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by meg »

heh. can't help you! but i can sympathize. back in college, there was this massive construction site near the dorms that i passed every day to and from class. i wanted so badly to sneak in and just run around. chief reason i didn't: the risk of getting caught and expelled.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:I seem to recall that calls to 911 are not charged to the phone.
exigence wrote:none of you have ever wanted to do something just to have been able to do it.
More like none of us have ever wanted to do something petty, childish, and illegal just to have been able to do it. Or maybe we have and think that it was stupid and pointless and see no reason to sympathize with you while you're whining about people actually protecting things they paid for.

Not to mention that people on this site and pretty much anywhere have a vested interest in not making it easier for someone to break passwords, no? Why would you expect help here?
Or some of us are old enough to know that doing stupid, childish, and petty things only results in bad consequences. "Cool points" with your friends for a couple days isn't really worth stealing someone's internet.

As a moderation note, anyone who actually does post with "assistance" in cracking someone's wi-fi will be temp-banned. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

You know, I think the general term for behavior like this is "asshattery."

If you have the skills to crack into your neighbor's wifi, then instead of doing that why don't you put it to some constructive use, like helping other neighbors secure their wifi or something.
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

The stupidity of this entire idea is just astounding. It reminds me of the dumb kids in my high school AP Programming class that would try and hack into the school's network, only to get busted and loose their computer privileges for the year... rendering them an F for the class. Hard to do your programming work without a computer in class.

Seriously, why even post bragging about wanting to do something like this on a public internet forum? It reeks of attention-grabbing.
-G1

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9722006-7.html

This is a story of a man in Michigan who stole Wifi from a coffee shop and didn't know it was illegal. He only got a $400 fine and 40 hours Comm. Service. The law states that it is a felony punishable by 5 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

What your doing is far more intentional then what happened to that man and do you honestly feel it's worth that kind of risk?

I feel like I'm wasting my time posting this. You know better and obviously arn't intrested in enlightenment.