I fear for the voice acting in Lunar DS....

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
the_importer
Meribian Merchant
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

I fear for the voice acting in Lunar DS....

Post by the_importer »

Is anyone else afraid that Ubisoft might screw-up the voices like Working Design?

Katze
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Katze »

I don't think there IS any voice acting...o_O

the_importer
Meribian Merchant

Post by the_importer »

Katze wrote:I don't think there IS any voice acting...o_O

Not sure either, but looking at this, maybe:

http://www.mmv-i.net/game/ds/lunar/present.html
Last edited by the_importer on Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, I really don't think there is any voice acting. In fact, that's what GameSpot preview stated.
-G1

the_importer
Meribian Merchant

Post by the_importer »

GhaleonOne wrote:Yeah, I really don't think there is any voice acting. In fact, that's what GameSpot preview stated.

You sure about this? Can you quote them?

SSSFan
Red Dragon Priest
Location: in front of my computer, above my keyboard, at the lunarnet forum, in my house etc. etc.

Post by SSSFan »

I don't think there will be voice acting. I've never read anything about it in previews.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

None so far in the import, but all I've done is collected Lucia into the party. But you'd expect the scene of meeting her to have voice if anything will, and it doesn't.

the_importer
Meribian Merchant

Post by the_importer »

Alunissage wrote:None so far in the import, but all I've done is collected Lucia into the party. But you'd expect the scene of meeting her to have voice if anything will, and it doesn't.

Oh you have the game, Sweet! That's better then reading it from reviews.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

the_importer wrote:

That girl isn't a voice actress for Lucia. She's some Japanese celebrity who'll visit you as a courier dressed in Lucia's clothing if you win some contest that they're having over there. The main site has a translation of that portion of Marvelous' site.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

the_importer
Meribian Merchant

Post by the_importer »

Lunar Eclipse wrote:
the_importer wrote:

That girl isn't a voice actress for Lucia. She's some Japanese celebrity who'll visit you as a courier dressed in Lucia's clothing if you win some contest that they're having over there. The main site has a translation of that portion of Marvelous' site.

Woohoo !!!

the_importer said while packing his bag and gettings ready to leave for Japan

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

the_importer wrote:
Lunar Eclipse wrote:
the_importer wrote:

Woohoo !!!

You should probably think about winning before you start packing. :wink:

the_importer
Meribian Merchant

Post by the_importer »

Lunar Eclipse wrote:
the_importer wrote:
Lunar Eclipse wrote:
the_importer wrote:

Woohoo !!!

You should probably think about winning before you start packing. :wink:

I already bribed the company :P

Erasculio
Reza Thief

I liked it...

Post by Erasculio »

the_importer wrote:Is anyone else afraid that Ubisoft might screw-up the voices like Working Design?

For the recods, I'm very fond of Working Design's voice acting, at least for TSS, EB and EBC. Ghaleon himself was worth it - in fact, I hope they do it again if a next version of Lunar is released on a more powerful system.

Erasculio

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: I liked it...

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Erasculio wrote:
the_importer wrote:Is anyone else afraid that Ubisoft might screw-up the voices like Working Design?

For the recods, I'm very fond of Working Design's voice acting, at least for TSS, EB and EBC. Ghaleon himself was worth it - in fact, I hope they do it again if a next version of Lunar is released on a more powerful system.

Erasculio

Eh . . . I like most of Working Design's VA. However, even though Ghaleon was really good in EBC, I thought he was really off at times in SSSC. I dunno, though. Maybe that's just me. The in-battle stuff was usually really good. My only other complaints are the flatness of the "Luna jumping aboard the boat" scene and the fact that Hiro's voice just sounded strange and overly forced at times. Aside from that, though, I would agree that they did at the very least a satisfactory job with the VA.

the_importer
Meribian Merchant

Post by the_importer »

You guys must be really big fans because even Working Design admits that their translations suck.

From their website:

http://www.workingdesigns.com/contact_nav.htm

Hate Mail - hatemail@workingdesigns.com

You don't like our "Americanized" translations? You thought that the jokes in Albert Odyssey went way overboard? You were annoyed by the Clinton joke in Lunar: Eternal Blue? You dislike the dubbing of the voices in Magic Knight Rayearth? Or, do you just have a long list of mean and awful things to say about our company and/or games? Well, we really want to hear it all! Just send us an e-mail by clicking on the hate mail link above. And remember, all we are saying is give peace a chance.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

the_importer wrote:You guys must be really big fans because even Working Design admits that their translations suck.

You're not too good at getting tongue-in-cheek humor, are you? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Er, that IS their "hate mail" link. Of course it's giving examples of things people might want to -Borgan- about. If they'd said "Want to tell us how wonderful we are? Loved the Wheaties joke in Lunar 1? Think John Truitt is the best voice actor ever? Then let us know at..." you'd be complaining about their ego, no? What that text is about is that not everyone has the same opinion about everything. I don't care for Jenny Stigile's style in the Lunars much myself, but a lot of people do.

Although WD did say that the Clinton joke was so gone from EBC in some letter response.

the_importer
Meribian Merchant

Post by the_importer »

Kizyr wrote:
the_importer wrote:You guys must be really big fans because even Working Design admits that their translations suck.

You're not too good at getting tongue-in-cheek humor, are you? KF

???

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

It's verbal irony. You know what sarcasm is, right? This is similar to that. They're being self-deprecating as a joke, but also in order to encourage people to speak freely about any complaints they have. It's hardly saying "our translations suck".

Let me know if you didn't understand any of that. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

the_importer
Meribian Merchant

Post by the_importer »

Kizyr wrote:It's verbal irony. You know what sarcasm is, right? This is similar to that. They're being self-deprecating as a joke, but also in order to encourage people to speak freely about any complaints they have. It's hardly saying "our translations suck".

Let me know if you didn't understand any of that. KF

Oh, you were talking about Working Design. I thought that you meant that someone previously replied in such way and I missed it.

I agree with what you’re saying, but you have to realize that if a company is presenting something like this, it’s because there’s some truth in it.