Tough day in N.O.

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Tough day in N.O.

Post by WD RPG WD »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,167270,00.html

Pretty sad stuff going on there. Death tolls could reach 40 thousand or so plus the city could be gone.... New Orleans was always a death trap waiting to happen though..

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Yeah, I've been watching that on CNN, well, okay reading it on cnn.com. Big diff. Anyway, it's hard to believe that something like that could destory such an old city, kill so many, especially in this country and the time residences had to evacuate. However, it all seems logical, and from what I read about all the factories and if it floods like they predict, it's going to turn New Orleans into one big lake of death.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

That article doesn't seem to suggest a 40,000 death toll though? It sounds like it could straight up destroy the city, but did I miss something about the death toll? I'm sure it'll be bad, but 40k seems a bit much unless I'm underestimating things.
-G1

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Katrina's just horrible. I know someone going to school down there and hope she's okay. The news this morning said that they are expecting this to be the single worst natural disaster to hit the U.S. and that gas prices are going to skyrocket. I'm not sure what the death toll will be, but I pray it will be less than 40,000. I doubt that many people wanted to stay, or got stuck there.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I doubt that... 40k death tolls simply don't happen in this country due to our disaster management. Although, there might be a significant number of deaths, ranging in the hundreds even, along with a big economic impact.

I just hope things work out all right in the end, and most everyone's managed to evacuate to safety. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Economically, it's already having an impact. The oil barrel jumped quite a bit, and I bet we see another 20 cent or so spike in gas prices.
-G1

SSSFan
Red Dragon Priest
Location: in front of my computer, above my keyboard, at the lunarnet forum, in my house etc. etc.

Post by SSSFan »

yeah, just heard the state there is stable. good to hear. I've seen it on TV earlier. damn man... I just hope that not many people are killed..

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Interesting.. The article I linked had the expected death toll in it when I linked it but now it's been taken out...? weird...

Good news is things are ok so far.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, actually, I noticed you posted this last night when they were expecting it to go straight into New Orleans. The way it sounds, it moved and went towards Biloxi instead. New Orleans still got hit bad, but not to the extent they expected.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

GhaleonOne wrote:Economically, it's already having an impact. The oil barrel jumped quite a bit, and I bet we see another 20 cent or so spike in gas prices.

20 cents, I wouldn't say that much. The high oil prices right now are due to a number of things (which I won't get into, since it'd bore the hell out of most people here). But, topping it off is the current hurricane season. Refineries and the oil pipeline up from New Orleans are shut down today, and might be for a short duration depending on damage to the surrounding area. Plus, oil rigs in the Gulf were evacuated. That did cause a jump in crude prices (they were at $70 a barrel this morning, but stable now around mid-$60s). But, I doubt it'll translate into a huge change in prices at-the-pump; most of that's already been bid up due to supply shortfall fears during this season anyhow. The most might be a 5 cent jump, due to this hurricane alone... 10 cents at a stretch.

But, that's just a casual observation. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Actually, I read on CNN that they predicted a 40,000 death toll if a major hurrican ever hit New Orleans directly. However, I read that it went east of New Orleans into Mississippi. However, the dykes that are protecting New Orleans are straining, and some of the water is over flowing them, which could be enough to wear down the earth made dykes and then more flooding can occur.

At least it wasn't a category 5 hurrican when it made landfall, they never said it was a category 4, but with the wind speed being 140 MPH at land fall, it's easy to assume that it ended up being a category 4. Now it's just a category 1. Also, there are reports of up to 24 feet of water in some area's in New Orleans and Mississippi.

I used to go to Biloxi because that was where my uncle used to live, since the air force base is RIGHT THERE. Hate to see the damage to the base.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, it was Category 4 by the time it hit landfall, and category 3 soon after. If it's down to category 1, it's dropped a lot. Which is good.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

You know, I was quite surprised really. A category 1 hurrican that hit florida, I thought it was just going to die out. Even they predicted it was going to go through the panhandle and die as a tiny storm. Then BAM! Next thing I read was it was a Category 5 hurrican and it had it's eye set on New Orleans.

This is going to sound bad, but I was really hoping it would make land fall as a category 5 hurrican. That way, it would have been the 4th or 5th category 5 to ever hit the US. In other words, I like to live through history in the making :P Call it greed :)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

20 cents, I wouldn't say that much.

I would, it just jumped 25 cents here.
-G1

DragonMaster Sam
Nanza Bandit

Post by DragonMaster Sam »

Unfortunately, I got a half-brother who is stationed at a military base in Biloxi. Fortunately, his family was able to move safely to Ft. Lauderdale.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

phyco126 wrote: This is going to sound bad, but I was really hoping it would make land fall as a category 5 hurrican. That way, it would have been the 4th or 5th category 5 to ever hit the US. In other words, I like to live through history in the making :P Call it greed :)

No that doesn't sound to bad. I get to tell my grandchildren (If I ever have them) that they named a hurricane after me. No that's bad.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Hehe, it's intresting, because did you know that hurrican & tropical storm names have been picked, in alphabetical order, for the next 10 years? (Or close to that number at least.) Oh, and to top that off, if the storm was truely devestating, they retire the name, since the names get recycled after so many years :)

I learned that last year ^_^

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

Katrina was severely over hyped. GameFaQs (or should I say, Cjay) even made a board especially for it. 40,000+ estimated dead, and as of now I don't think I've heard of any casualties. Of course, the body count will probably come a few days after the storm hits anyway.

Not to say that I think Katrina was anything less than devastating, I just don't think she was nearly as bad as the "End of the World Destroyer" that CNN and many online news sources were making her out to be.

I've done my part, though. Donated what money I could. I would have donated blood too, if I wasn't a 'high risk' person and they'd let me donate. :roll:
- Mike

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

Katrina was hardly overhyped. The reason it got so much attention was that it was supposed to go directly through New Orleans. Just because it changed path doesn't mean it was overhyped. Besides, the press if anything started to underhype it once it took a different path. There were a lot of stories like "Katrina downgraded to category 3" that said how great that was. Sure, it's better than category 5, but it's still got 150ishMPH winds and 200MPH gusts. Hardly a weak hurricane. Plus, the insurance estimates while initially much higher are still in the $20-40 billion range.

Edit: Just checked. Over 80 dead so far.
-Rich-

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Looting is apparently really bad right now:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050830/ap_ ... na_looting
-G1