Request for Ordered Music List

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the original game for the Sega CD
Quantam
Meribian Merchant
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Request for Ordered Music List

Post by Quantam »

Hi, all, I'm a programmer, reverse-engineer, and music archivist who recently has been uploading stuff to the Video Game Music Preservation Foundation. About two weeks ago I discovered the Lunar series, and as I've been collecting music since the mid 90s wondered how this series flew under my radar for nearly 3 decades.

I'm currently preparing the Eternal Blue soundtrack for upload (and yes, Lunar-Net can have it too if desired), which means reverse-engineering the game to figure out how the format works, and I'm a couple days away from being ready to upload (still have to figure out WTH the purpose of this bizarre channel progression system is in the streaming code). However, what I'm lacking is a list of music tracks in the order they are first encountered in game (e.g. opening cinematic, title theme [...] end credits), which is a requirement for VGMPF. Does anybody happen to have such a list or can produce one within a short amount of time? If not I'll have to play through the game to make a list, but that will delay upload by several weeks as I'm currently playing SSSC, which would be followed by TSS, then EB.

Why might you care to help me? Well, if you really want better versions of the music, as well as the two music tracks that are not supported by PCM2WAV, a few weeks sooner than you'd get it otherwise. By better versions I mean I am reverse-engineering all features of the PCM format, not just the obvious sign-magnitude sample format. Currently I have looping working, which will allow me to upload looped and faded out versions which are far less jarring than the current versions (if only there were an audio format that supported infinite looping I could use that...); stereo tracks are also supported, which means the two tracks PCM2WAV can't convert.

Attached is a looped sample (L) and a fully implemented one with reverb (R).
Attachments
RP005R.zip
(2.7 MiB) Downloaded 774 times
RP005L.7z
(3.08 MiB) Downloaded 769 times

Quantam
Meribian Merchant

Re: Request for Ordered Music List

Post by Quantam »

Strange channel shenanigans have been identified as software reverb. Reverse-engineering is complete. Attached a version with everything implemented (R) to original post.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

01 Silver and Blue
02 At the Relief
03 Eternal Blue ~Opening Credits~
04 Hiro on the Silver Star
05 Running Hiro
06 Justice - Leo's Theme
07 Exciting Journey
08 Brave Warriors
09 Promenade
10 Melancholy Heart
11 In Front of the Spire
12 The Blue Spire
13 Zophar's Arrival
14 Boss Battle 1
15 Come Sail Away
16 Village Theme
17 Wine, Women and Song - Ronfar's Theme
18 Somber Memories
19 Blessed Town
20 Dangerous Ground
21 Jean the Dancer - Jean Introduction
22 Gypsy Heart
23 Crowded Street Corner
24 Holding On
25 Carnival
26 The Giggle Tent
27 Ghaleon's Introduction
28 Ghaleon's Theme
29 Growing Fear
30 Heart-Shaped Tears
31 Taben's Peak
32 Tension
33 Behind Pentagulia - 1
34 Behind Pentagulia - 2
35 Goddess of Lies - 1
36 Goddess of Lies - 2
37 White Mask Funk
38 The Sealed Goddess Tower
39 Hiro's Fight - Boss Fight 2
40 Dragonship Destiny
41 Field to Tomorrow
42 Conquering the Cave
43 Between Dragons
44 Honorable Horam
45 Zen Zone
46 Zophar's Domain
47 Zophar's Revival (Zophar 1st form)
48 Golden Voice
49 Lucia vs. Zophar (Zophar 2nd form)
50 Wonderful Victory
51 Eternal Blue ~End Credits 1~
52 Star Dragon Theme (USA edition exclusive music track)
53 Thoughts on Eternity - Lucia's Theme ~End Credits 2~

I think that's right. If anyone wants to correct me please do.
-Nobi

Quantam
Meribian Merchant

Post by Quantam »

Thank you very much for your list.

However, as I worked on reviewing all the tracks, it quickly became clear that LunarNET's list was far from accurate with regard to music, SFX, etc. And beyond that there are a lot of judgment calls about what amount of voice is acceptable and how much is too much to include in the collection, and as such making the request when I did turned out to be premature.

After thoroughly reviewing the tracks and wavering back and forth on quite a few, I believe I have finalized the list of tracks I'll be including in the collection. The list can be found here, with the tracks that will be included marked under Use, and these are the ones that I need an ordering of. For convenience, it isn't necessary for them to be numbered with respect to their new order (though you can use the ordered list form on phpBB if you want, for auto-numbering), but it would be helpful if you included the original track number with each entry.

Again, thank you for your help.

Quantam
Meribian Merchant

Post by Quantam »

LunarNet admins: would you be wanting to use this version for LunarNET? If so I need to know how I should cut the tracks for LunarNET's copy. Specifically, how many loops should there be for looping tracks, how long fadeout, and MP3 or Ogg Vorbis? For reference, the version for VGMPF will be 1 loop, 15 sec fadeout, and 128 Kbps Ogg Vorbis per their spec, and my personal copy will be 2 loops, 15 sec fadeout, and FLAC.

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

Nice idea! A lot of us made homemade soundtracks using that great PCM-WAV conversion tool from the 1990s, and about 15 years ago I made my own homemade four-disc soundtracks for SSS, EB, and EB remix, complete with booklets and cover art because I am crazy. I'd always meant to offer them up to Lunar-Net but never got around to how I would host/share them, and your quality will probably be better (for instance, I was never able to get the reverb version of the deep dungeon theme to work in stereo, and scrapped it from mine).

You might also consider adding the various arranged tracks from the Prelude, Eternal Blue, and Lunatic Parade albums, some of which are really important and the only versions availabe without sound effects in-game (Zophar's Revival and Farewell, for instance. I've marked them with asterisks below).

Anyway! I can't edit that list you have linked but would be happy to write down the exact order of appearance in the game, if in exchange you'll grant me the indulgence of adding an extra column to retranslate many of the tracks, which were either poorly translated by WD's B-team or renamed entirely. Tell me if it's not clear which song is which because of the weird name changes.

...or maybe I'll just do it right here!

1. Silver and Blue
2. Time of Tranquility
3. Lunar~Eternal Blue (Main Theme) (I used the arranged version on my creation)
4. Goddess Althena** (only available in fragments in-game except with Hiero talking, though available in full in the arranged version)
5. Fleeing Hiero
6. Setting Sail Anew (this is the first map theme)
7. Lone Knight Leo
8. Rise Up, Brave Warriors!
9. Promenade (second half of Promenade is on disc but never appears in game)
10. Magic Trial (the spooky woods and haunted manor music...I move it later on in my version, but technically it first appears in the Blue Spire)
11. [A Tower Shimmering Beneath the Blue Sky** - a title I made up for the short cinema when you arrive at the Blue Spire]
12. The Blue Spire
((12.5 Lucia's Descent~Sorrowful Memories** (only available in arranged version))
13. Zophar's Arrival** (only available with talking, except in arranged version)
15. Sorrowful Recollection
16. The Fierce Battle~Battle No. 2 (boss battle)
17. Travelling on the Swift Ship
18. Town
19. Rong-fa, the Gambler
20. Blessed Town
21. Tension
22. Beyond the Silence
23. Caravan in the Sea of Trees** (this is the song during Jean's opening cinema...it is possible to cut it precisely before Ruby starts talking)
24. Jean
[24.5: Deep Dungeon (if you can get the reverb on this alternate Dragon Dungeon theme from the secret rooms to actually work]
25. Bustling Street Corner
26. Money is the Best (this is Lemina's theme)
27. Carnival
28. Honky Tonk Lucia (this is the giggle den theme)
29. An Ancient Recollection** (my name for the altered version of Eternal Blue that plays on Ghaleon's record...some sound effects, but no voice)
30. Ghaleon (the version that plays during your final encounter in Vheen)
31. Ghaleon (alternate version - WD switched it and made this one play when he appears, but it first plays in Japanese when he saves you from Leo)
32. Machine Mountain (this is Nall's hideout music at the top)
33. I'm the Great Nall!** (this is available only with voice in-game, but available in full in arranged version)
34. Anxiety (called Growing Fear by WD)
35. Sorrowful Memories (similar track with differnet title...this is when Lemina is sad)
36. Holy City Pentagulia
37. Holy City Pengatulia second half (inside buildings)
38. False Goddess
39. The Hidden Truth** (my name for the short, very cool tune that plays when Lucia accuses the false Althena and Ghaleon attacks her...it is possible to cut it out from the dialogue track without voices)
40. Funky Vargan (this is the Masked White Knight's theme!)
41. The Holy Goddess Tower
42. Field Towards Tomorrow
43. Dragon Cave
44. The Dragon's Chamber (mistranslated as Between Dragons by WD)
45. Dragon Steamship Vargan (the third world map theme)
46. The City of Horn (known as Horam in English)
47. Martial Arts Tournament
48. Four Heroes** (available in full only in arranged version; first half is actually first heard during Linus/Lunn's opening cinema, but second half is the Four Heroes battle them so better to put it here)
49. Battle with the Heroes (miswritten as Hiero's fight by WD)
50. Zophar's Revival** (available in full only in arranged version; closest you can get is version with Hiero backtalking Zophar in-game battle)
51. Beautiful Singing Voice (I associate this with Ghaleon's death, but it may also play at the top of the Goddess Tower)
52. Footsteps of the Decisive Battle
53. Lucia's Prayer** (my name for song played during Zophar's second form)
54. Zophar vs. Lucia
55. Zophar vs. Lucia~The Last Battle** (medly that also includes the chanting voices version from the final-final fight between just Zophar and Hiero/Lucia, available in arranged version only)
56. The Joy of Victory
57. Eternal Blue~Eternal Sentiment (Short Version)
58. Farewell** (available without voices only in arranged version, but essential in my opinion...the goodbye at the Blue Spire)
59. The Rondo of Light and Shadow
60. Star Dragon (US version only)
61. Eternal Blue~Eternal Sentiment (Full Version)

BONUS:
I made a bonus fourth disc that included character image songs, as well as a few tracks on the disc but not used in-game, such as the creepy version of Beyond the Silence, the wonderful long version of Beyond the Silence, and the alternate US version of the Holy Goddess Tower theme.
aka Maou

Ηiro
Lostest Boy

Post by Ηiro »

Would love to be updated on this as well .. this is the music of my childhood !!!

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Quantam wrote:However, as I worked on reviewing all the tracks, it quickly became clear that LunarNET's list was far from accurate with regard to music, SFX, etc. And beyond that there are a lot of judgment calls about what amount of voice is acceptable and how much is too much to include in the collection, and as such making the request when I did turned out to be premature.
Hey there -- I don't have much time to review/help with the list I'm afraid, but what type of inaccuracies are you noting? A lot of the lists we compiled (even names) were well before there was any official list -- in some cases they're literally fan-consensus names rather than from any Studio Alex / Game Arts / Working Designs list, or they're our own translation when only the Japanese name was available. That's to say, it'd be great to update them with any official versions later on (and note fan-consensus names for historical reasons).

Things are... hectic now in my life outside of these boards, G1 also, hence little/no update for nearly a year now. While I'd like to offer some idea on when we could get to another content update is pretty up in the air.
~Kizyr (they|them)

Quantam
Meribian Merchant

Post by Quantam »

Kizyr wrote:Hey there -- I don't have much time to review/help with the list I'm afraid, but what type of inaccuracies are you noting? A lot of the lists we compiled (even names) were well before there was any official list -- in some cases they're literally fan-consensus names rather than from any Studio Alex / Game Arts / Working Designs list, or they're our own translation when only the Japanese name was available. That's to say, it'd be great to update them with any official versions later on (and note fan-consensus names for historical reasons).

Things are... hectic now in my life outside of these boards, G1 also, hence little/no update for nearly a year now. While I'd like to offer some idea on when we could get to another content update is pretty up in the air.
Here's my list, if you want to compare. The differences are in the Type column.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Ah, I see -- you mean the differences are in what's regarded as music/sfx/etc., not the naming conventions.

Thank you! Again I'm not sure when we could hope to make changes -- things like a full site modernization would kind of need to happen first (sorry... we know things are outdated) but it'd be great to be able to incorporate this kind of info in a future update, likely with all tracks available too.
~Kizyr (they|them)