Anyone into Xenogears?

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Ghaleon777
Lostest Boy
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Anyone into Xenogears?

Post by Ghaleon777 »

I absolutely LOVE Xenogears, such a shame that square didnt make a remake already...
I am making a "battle game" of Xenogears... focusing just in a tournament where you can play as every boss and monster, still in development, but this is what i am making for now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMGRfCd ... Edward%27s

Far from being finished of course.

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Anyone into Xenogears?

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

I'll be honest...I couldn't play it because of the graphics lol (^^;;) It deserves a remake & I totally respect it. I've seen some play it and I've read a lot about it. I also really enjoyed Xenosaga for PS2 Trilogy (I sad still it was meant to be 6 games...) But it totally deserves a remake and i'm surprised it hasn't had one already!
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

I loved it, and hated it at the same time.

I would always get so mad during boss fights that would turn into back to back fights and if you died against one you had to repet them all. T^T

Music and character designs were some of my favorites though.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

VidKid369
Red Dragon Priest

Post by VidKid369 »

Hey! I'm going through my entire RPG collection and trying to 100% Complete each and every one, and Xenogears is one game I want to really play sometime soon... I loved the first Xenosaga on PS2 I beat that one twice. I made it to the final boss in Xenogears and I just stopped playing cause I heard there was nudity, lol.

I love the out-of-gear combat I much prefer that than actually fighting inside of a gear.

My friends were totally into this game in Middle School we'd go to a friend's house everyday afterschool and just replay the intro all the time. This game was very popular to us when we were younger. Definitely have a lot of memories attached with it.

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

You stopped playing because there may be nudity? O.o Did you look at the rating of the game to play it? That's kind of something to expect based on a rating of a game. If you're too young to play said game then you're too young for the ending (^.~)

I highly suggest playing Xenosaga 2 and 3 too
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions

VidKid369
Red Dragon Priest

Post by VidKid369 »

Lol, yes. I know that seems odd, but I was going to a Catholic private school at the time and I felt like it was wrong. Well usually I don't expect to see nudity in games and I don't really care for it but it is what it is.

But! I'm playing Xenogears right now, and I am enjoying it but it is kinda going really slow... but I usually love that cause I love reading a lotta dialogue and the dungeons don't even seem that hard to me. 🙂

I actually beat Xenosaga 1 twice and I loved it. I have Xenosaga 2, which I haven't played more than 5 mins. of, and/but I don't have 3 at all.

sharkythesharkdogg
Reza Thief

Post by sharkythesharkdogg »

Xenogears is probably my favorite RPG.

Despite the fact that it lost most of its budget after it stopped being FF7.

Despite the fact that there's literally hours of playtime between save points/multi-boss endurance events that can be very difficult.

Despite the fact that some of the platforming can be frustrating and is certainly archaic.

Despite the fact that it always locked my system down during one of the final boss fights (Deus), and I never actually completed it. (I was 90 something percent there, and the game would just always freeze.)

I knew what I was getting into when a friend gave it to me for free because, "I just can't get into. Maybe you'll like it."

It's just a really amazing game, particularly for the time it was made. I'd like to see it get remade, but I'm also too jaded to think they would do it any justice. I suppose what I would really like is for the game to get more widespread appreciation in its current form, but I understand it's a hard game to love for a lot of people.
Last edited by sharkythesharkdogg on Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Spouse was playing it (I was watching and knitting) a little while ago but we paused at the beginning of disc 2 and haven't gotten back to it. He'd played it when it came out, but I didn't. My main problem was that I kept losing track of which countries and political entities were which.

VidKid369
Red Dragon Priest

Post by VidKid369 »

I just beat it recently (finally!) and I thought it was pretty good... I can see why a lot of people like it. I liked all the characters a lot and usually I'm not really into mechas but this time I was into it. I preferred fighting on foot. Overall, I thought it was a decent RPG but I dunno if I'll go back to it anytime soon it does leave me wanting to play the Xenosaga games which I do have.

sharkythesharkdogg
Reza Thief

I really enjoyed the first Xenosaga game. I beat Great Joe, Mintia, got Erd Kaiser, etc. I doubt completed it 100%, but I spent time with it. The second game is a challenge for me. I actually have never played the third game even though I have it. I want to play the second game first, and I always get a little bored and drop playing it less than halfway through. I've only tried it twice, but it's weak. The Suikoden 4 of the series. Not bad, but lacking.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

I played through Xenogears quite thoroughly.

I even managed to pump Chu Chu so full of drugs she became useful.

Yes, that's hilarious to write.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

sharkythesharkdogg
Reza Thief

Good ol' Chu Chu. I have to admit this moment was not one I expected at the time.

VidKid369
Red Dragon Priest

Post by VidKid369 »

Lol, seeing that pic of Chu Chu always makes me laugh.

I actually have 100% completed the first Xenosaga game at least twice, I'm pretty sure I got everything. I was always pretty throrough when I was a kid. I remember having to reply to all the e-mails which was pretty fun. lol I have the second game, but not the third and I've only played like five minutes of part 2. I'll have to complete them again just to make sure I'm remembering things right.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Chu Chu never used the common sense to just shrink to normal size. It's like the game keeps forgetting Chu Chu is biological, not a gear.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

sharkythesharkdogg
Reza Thief

Well, I know they're supposed to be indigenous to the planet, and usually big. Then the Solarins did experiments on them to limit their size, and use them. Then apparently Chu Chu learned how to control the size changing ability. We can pretend that when she was captured they removed her growth limiter thing so she could not longer return to being small. These are the mental hurdles we go through to fill in plot holes.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

And then that doesn't work because Chu Chu is capable of being small after this scene. It's also worth remembering that in the scene where only Xenogears works...Chu Chu should still be functioning because she is again biological and not dependent on the Zohar.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Disc 1 of Xenogears on its own was amazing. I thought Elly and Fei were a cute couple, and I liked watching their relationship grow at first. I could tell this world had many mindscrews waiting, also it had great music. While I think Chrono Trigger is an overall better game, I think Yasunori Mitsuda (who scored both) created a better OST with Xenogears. The Tower of Babel was a terribly designed dungeon, but it’s only one area. Aesthetically/graphically, it has aged very well, both the anime FMV and actual gameplay.

Disc 2 was a huge disappointment, and a manual how NOT to write a strong female protagonist. The game gets rid of the world map, and randomly puts the player in boss fights with little-no explanation of what is gong on. Fei forces Elly out of the party so he has someone to return to. She resists leaving, then they have sex, and she’s totally ok with staying home from the fight after that point. I’ve played *eroge* with more independent, better written female characters (YU-NO, though of be fair it’s in a class of its own, and has had many SFW ports since the PC-98 original.) I spent so much time leveling up Elly, and spamming Aerods was my strategy for many boss fights, only not to be able to use her in the final battle. Aeris had an excuse (RIP.) Elly did not. And then there was that revelation that Miang can posess any woman solely due to some mitochondrial DNA plothole. Disc 2 is only about 20% or less of the whole game, so I guess Xenogears is *technically* good? But Disc 2 was so badly written that I hesitate to recommend it.

Ghaleon777
Lostest Boy

Post by Ghaleon777 »

Shinto-Cetra wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:16 pm Disc 1 of Xenogears on its own was amazing. I thought Elly and Fei were a cute couple, and I liked watching their relationship grow at first. I could tell this world had many mindscrews waiting, also it had great music. While I think Chrono Trigger is an overall better game, I think Yasunori Mitsuda (who scored both) created a better OST with Xenogears. The Tower of Babel was a terribly designed dungeon, but it’s only one area. Aesthetically/graphically, it has aged very well, both the anime FMV and actual gameplay.

Disc 2 was a huge disappointment, and a manual how NOT to write a strong female protagonist. The game gets rid of the world map, and randomly puts the player in boss fights with little-no explanation of what is gong on. Fei forces Elly out of the party so he has someone to return to. She resists leaving, then they have sex, and she’s totally ok with staying home from the fight after that point. I’ve played *eroge* with more independent, better written female characters (YU-NO, though of be fair it’s in a class of its own, and has had many SFW ports since the PC-98 original.) I spent so much time leveling up Elly, and spamming Aerods was my strategy for many boss fights, only not to be able to use her in the final battle. Aeris had an excuse (RIP.) Elly did not. And then there was that revelation that Miang can posess any woman solely due to some mitochondrial DNA plothole. Disc 2 is only about 20% or less of the whole game, so I guess Xenogears is *technically* good? But Disc 2 was so badly written that I hesitate to recommend it.
Hahaha yeah i remember this... i agree with you Disc 2 was a disaster. Such a masterpiece ruined by a rushed Disc 2.

ssdninja
Reza Thief

Post by ssdninja »

I don't think disc 2 really ruined it as much as people say it did. Part of the game's lasting legacy was in part to its weird production schedule. There is a really good podcast that covers the game chapter by chapter called Retrograde Amnesia. They're cool folks, they covered parasite eve, terranigma chrono cross, ff8 also. Theyre in the middle of doing suikoden 1 and 2