Last Anime?

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
kazuya
Lyton Singer
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Last Anime?

Post by kazuya »

Ninja Scroll Roccccckkkkkkssssss! Also my last one was shin chan ^_^
Darkness beyond twilight
Crimson beyond blood that flows
Buried in the stream of time is where your power grows
I pledge myself to conquer all the foes who stand
before the mighty gift bestowed in my unworthy hand
Let the fools who stand before me be destroyed
by the power you and I possess...
DRAGON SLAVE!

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Magic Knight RayEarth

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Rewatched Tokyo Revelation
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

Would have been in January. I was rewatching episodes of Ranma 1/2 with my bestie.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

JonOU812
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JonOU812 »

Just finished binge watching Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water. It’s outdated in a visual sense and it’s obvious where the animation got hit in certain scenes and episodes, but by god the story is just awesome. Would highly recommend it. (it’s a Gainax anime written by Hayao Miyazaki what more do you need?)
Check Out My Youtube Channel: YOUTUBE
Follow Me on Twitter: TWITTER
Watch Me Stream: TWITCH

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

I checked out the Digimon remake. I'm going to continue to try and watch it, but the re-do very much let me down in the first episode
Lotus Moon Productions

kazuya
Lyton Singer

Post by kazuya »

If you ask me you just can't beat the 80s early 90s anime...
Darkness beyond twilight
DRAGON SLAVE!

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

I recently finished Woodpecker Detective's Office, which is about a fictional detective office run by Kyosuke Kindaichi and Takuboku Ishikawa, both of whom were real life figures in early 20th century Japan. It had a really nice Taisho-era aesthetic (east meets west in a nutshell) and some well-written mysteries, and likable characters.

Also I saw both seasons of Granblue Fantasy, which is basically Final Fantasy 1-9 x Skies of Arcadia: the anime. Anime that have RPG-like plots but aren't isekai are rare, and the world building and characters were great. It has airships and floating continents, plus Nobuo Uematsu and Hideo Minaba were involved, hence my comparisons.
kazuya wrote:If you ask me you just can't beat the 80s early 90s anime...

Agree 100%. While I enjoyed and recommend both of the modern shows I listed, for Granblue in particular I kept thinking, "This is really good, but the animation pales in comparison to the 1990 Record of Lodoss War OVA". There's a certain magic to hand drawn animation that CGI can't fully replicate. As an artist who usually uses colored pencils, but dabbles in Clip Paint, I can relate personally. Also the time period you mentioned had (for anime in in general) higher color contrast, not to mention more thick dark lines, both of which I prefer.

kazuya
Lyton Singer

Post by kazuya »

@Shinto-Cetra, idk y but Woodpecker Detective gave me a strong nostalgia pang for the Noir tv series...
Shinto-Cetra wrote:Agree 100%. While I enjoyed and recommend both of the modern shows I listed, for Granblue in particular I kept thinking, "This is really good, but the animation pales in comparison to the 1990 Record of Lodoss War OVA". There's a certain magic to hand drawn animation that CGI can't fully replicate. As an artist who usually uses colored pencils, but dabbles in Clip Paint, I can relate personally. Also the time period you mentioned had (for anime in in general) higher color contrast, not to mention more thick dark lines, both of which I prefer.
And I think we all have an affinity to that style if we grew up to it. I remember falling in love so hard with the OVA's and artwork of Sonic CD and Chrono Trigger when I first saw them...
Darkness beyond twilight
DRAGON SLAVE!

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

kazuya wrote:@Shinto-Cetra, idk y but Woodpecker Detective gave me a strong nostalgia pang for the Noir tv series...
Shinto-Cetra wrote:Agree 100%. While I enjoyed and recommend both of the modern shows I listed, for Granblue in particular I kept thinking, "This is really good, but the animation pales in comparison to the 1990 Record of Lodoss War OVA". There's a certain magic to hand drawn animation that CGI can't fully replicate. As an artist who usually uses colored pencils, but dabbles in Clip Paint, I can relate personally. Also the time period you mentioned had (for anime in in general) higher color contrast, not to mention more thick dark lines, both of which I prefer.
And I think we all have an affinity to that style if we grew up to it. I remember falling in love so hard with the OVA's and artwork of Sonic CD and Chrono Trigger when I first saw them...
Ehh I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. I continually reexamine my interests to see if something has not held up well. Nostalgia plays little-no role in my tastes. In regards to anime and vg art design, for me it's about high color contrast/thick dark outlines like I said. Obviously other things like plot, character personality, music etc matter too, but when it comes to 80s/90s anime vs modern, that what I notice the most.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

The Legend of Galactic Heroes, I'm on ep 36 out of 110 (I believe it's the longest OVA series, ever.) I like how the focus is on the tacticians and the their strategizing, not one young lone pilot who saves the day in so many other space operas. Also I enjoy that the score is made of existing classical music. Eg Beethoven's Sonata Pathétique has been played at least twice so far.

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

I'm not much of an anime fan these days, but I revisited Utena not too long ago. It feels more relevant now than ever before.
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

LuNaRtIc wrote:I'm not much of an anime fan these days, but I revisited Utena not too long ago. It feels more relevant now than ever before.
Utena is a masterpiece. It's Femminism and Gender roles: the anime!

I finished the Legend of the Galactic Hereos, it's movies, and LOGH Gaiden. It was also a masterpiece, the best space opera I've ever seen. In a nutshell, It asks the viewer question "Would you rather be ruled by a bevevolent autocrat, or a democratic goverment, no matter how corrupt or just the ruler may be?"

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Shinto-Cetra wrote:
LuNaRtIc wrote:I'm not much of an anime fan these days, but I revisited Utena not too long ago. It feels more relevant now than ever before.
Utena is a masterpiece. It's Femminism and Gender roles: the anime!
Jenner is basically summoned at the very mention of Utena. I've only watched a bit but yes, it's extraordinarily good and holds up extremely well unlike most 90s-era anime -- partly the animation style but I think more so the relevance of its themes.
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

^ Are there other 1990s anime that hold up nowadays, especially thematically? I've been selectively going back and watching a few episodes of series I loved back then, like Record of Lodoss War, but I don't know where to start with new series. (And I never was a big anime watcher - the Sci-Fi channel and Toonami gave me most of what I had access to.) I'd like to watch a few in 2020, so any suggestions are welcome.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

I've started watching Yasashime, the sequel to Inu Yasha
Lotus Moon Productions

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

I'm watching Bubblegum Crisis now.
Sonic# wrote:^ Are there other 1990s anime that hold up nowadays, especially thematically? I've been selectively going back and watching a few episodes of series I loved back then, like Record of Lodoss War, but I don't know where to start with new series. (And I never was a big anime watcher - the Sci-Fi channel and Toonami gave me most of what I had access to.) I'd like to watch a few in 2020, so any suggestions are welcome.
The 80's/90's era was the hieght of anime imo. The OVA of Lodoss war is a masterpiece, the TV series not so much. The modern style is very bland by comparison (again imo), as for me I like the thick dark lines and intense color contrast used in the older series. Basically more femminine charatcers(of both genders) in a comic book art style. There are a few exceptions though of modern sries that have this artstyle. As for a a list of 90's reccomendations that hold up thematically (not in order of quality, and excluding style over substance-type shows):

Revolutionary Girl Utena (pretty much anything by Ikuhara is also worth watching)
Record of Lodoss War OVA
Rurouni Kenshin (Seasons 1 and 2, also the Trust & Betrayal OVA)
Just about any Miyazaki Movie (excluding Howl's Moving Castle and Porco Rosso, everything else is good-golden)
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell (the sequel too)
Ninja Scroll movie
The Legend of the Galactic Hereos
Neon Genesis Evangelion

I don't wanna bombard you with suggestions (a least not more than I already have haha), just tell me if you want more (or mini reviews).
ShugoHanasaki wrote:I've started watching Yasashime, the sequel to Inu Yasha
I love the artsyle, but I'm torn about the writing of that one. I did read the orignal InuYasha manga to completion when it first finished, so I might go back to Yashahime later.

frozenyoge
Burg Farmer

Post by frozenyoge »

I rewatched ef - A Tale of Memories. I was on a long quest to unearth and reappraise everything I'd seen during my more formative years, and I think this rounded things out.

This one struck a few notes for me, particularly Hirono and Kei saying to each other that they each fully expected to end up together, but somehow that possibility got lost along the way. Tons of mature emotional nuance that I didn't get back in 2007 but which I very much get now. Animes about relationships often give rise to melodrama but I think they can still very much be taken seriously in spite of that.

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Currently watching Dragon Quest Dai's Adventure & Shaman King

Both have been really good
Lotus Moon Productions

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Anglemois: Record of Mongolian Invasion. Samurai action in the Kamakura era, what's not to like? Also Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 Thrice Upon a Time. Yes, that title is ridiculous, but the movie itself was beautiful.