Revolution's controller unveiled

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by GhaleonOne »

That's actually an extremely well-written article.

It's funny too. On the sidebar mentioning where the author works... I put in for a job there a few months ago I think.

Edit - To add to it, I was digging around the comments to the article and found a link the author had for his development cost sources:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25441

Kinda interesting to see that the Nintendo DS costs even less to develop for than the GBA. And to note, the PSP costs 3x more to develop for than the NDS. The Xbox being the costliest of them all. Just some interesting information, and seems to be a trend with Nintendo these days to have the cheapest development costs of any of the systems. I'm certain the Revolution will probably be the same (except maybe in the short term as companies learn how to effectively use the new controller and still support the standard controllers - though I still think it'll be cheaper than the PS3 or Xbox360). Just random stuff, but interesting nonetheless.
-G1

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

We have an Intellivision, and that thing had a mess of a controller. This Revolution controller is not ergonomic, and you can be sure the general public is going to look at it, and say WTF? Perhaps they were a little too inspired in their designing, and people will judge this book by it's cover. I'm thinking that for how sensitive this thing is, it will be easier for the thing to become defective. We won't know until we've had the chance to use it.

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

Silver Phoenix wrote:This Revolution controller is not ergonomic

Oh really? How many times have you held one? Ergonomics is about minimizing discomfort. The people who have used the controller said it was comfortable.
-Rich-

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Well excuse me, but ergonomics generally incorporate curves and rounded shapes as to conform to the shape of your hand and palm. From what I saw, it looked pretty rectangular to me. Maybe it is comfortable, I don't know, because I haven't held one. It's an observation, don't get cocky.

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

you can be sure the general public is going to look at it, and say WTF?

Who was cocky now? :P You weren't making an observation, but stating as fact. "It is ergonomic" is far different from "It looks ergonomic."
-Rich-

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Well, it's long... and it has a "rumble" pack... I think a couple of people may like it after all.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Who was cocky now? You weren't making an observation, but stating as fact. "It is ergonomic" is far different from "It looks ergonomic."

Listen beotch, (just teasing :wink:) I wasn't intending to be cocky, but give a general observation of Joe Public, along with my own. It honestly, is not an ergonomic design. If it is comfortable, thank God. When people see that controller, they will see it as awkward, and unusual. Perhaps it may interest some, while deter others. I know I'd much rather prefer a standard controller design over this wireless dildo. (Pokes at Greensky)

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Listen beotch, (just teasing :wink:) I wasn't intending to be cocky, but give a general observation of Joe Public, along with my own. It honestly, is not an ergonomic design. If it is comfortable, thank God. When people see that controller, they will see it as awkward, and unusual. Perhaps it may interest some, while deter others. I know I'd much rather prefer a standard controller design over this wireless dildo. (Pokes at Greensky)

Again, ergonomics isn't how it looks, but how it feels :P And regardless, ergonomic designs have a history of looking awkward and unusual. case in point...
-Rich-

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

... how do you sit in that thing? Do the knees go on the front part and the rear on the... rear? O_o

If it doesn't look right to people, Nintendo will just have to make its other merits outshine the look. I think it'd be worse if it looked cool but felt like poo. ;)
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

The mock up that I believe IGN had, reminded me of sticking the VMU into the Dreamcast controller, but far more bulky. This is in reference to sticking the remote into a controller casing.

Mormon88
Reza Thief

Post by Mormon88 »

yea that mock up was pretty interesting.

i was thinking... this is perfect for harry potter games haha. a controller shaped like a wand and senses movement? how perfect is that?

but i do see a problem with racing games here, how are they gonna work with those?

Spirit Icana
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Spirit Icana »

I can't wait to try this thing out. Time to think "outside the box." Oh wait, I already do that.