Can't get my Sega CD to work at all.

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
That Other Person
Lostest Boy
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80
Location: That one place over there. Next to that other place. You know where I mean.

Can't get my Sega CD to work at all.

Post by That Other Person »

Well, I tried asking this on the Lunar: Eternal Blue and general Sega CD board on GameFaqs a couple of weeks ago, but no one has been able to sufficiently help me with this problem. I'll just copy and paste what I wrote over there.

"All right, here's the deal. I was in the middle of playing Lunar 2. Love this game much. :) In any case, my Sega CD was working perfectly. Nothing wrong, no sign that anything could go wrong. In any case, a few days later, I needed to head over to my mom and dads house for the weekend, and I remembered that my little brother wanted me to bring over my Sega CD so that he could play Star Wars Chess on it. So I put my Sega CD in my laundry basket on a pile of clothes that I needed to wash (like I have before, in order to soften the ride in the car) to take it to my parents house. In any case, when I get it down there, my Sega CD STOPS WORKING!!!!! I was in the middle of Lunar 2! I need it to work!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What happens is that when I turn it on, I see the title screen for the Sega CD like usual. Only problem is, there is no music, and no Sega logo. Nothing happens. When I hit the reset button to open the tray, the screen go's completely black, and the CD tray does not push open. Does anyone here know what I can do to get it to work?"

On a side note that I forgot to mention is that it's an original model, with the front loading tray, though I think that would be kind of obvious from what the problem is... :p

Please Help. I need to finish my games. :cry:
When you hit the bottom, the only way to go is up... unless you carry a shovel.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: Can't get my Sega CD to work at all.

Post by DevNall »

One my time my SegaCD went on the fritz; it worked fine again after I spent a while cleaning the connector with an eraser (this was actually suggested by SEGA).

That may not help in your case, but maybe it's worth a try.

That Other Person
Lostest Boy
Location: That one place over there. Next to that other place. You know where I mean.

Is the connector the part on the side that the Genesis plugs into? If so, I already tried cleaning that part. :(

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Or it could be a lens issue, or software malfunction, or hardware and software malfunction. So many possibilities. Have you tried contacting someone else, maybe at a game store or Sega website?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Yeah, it's the part that physically connects to the Genesis. Only easy fix I'm aware of.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Or it could be a lens issue, or software malfunction, or hardware and software malfunction. So many possibilities. Have you tried contacting someone else, maybe at a game store or Sega website?

Doubt it's a lens issue. If it were a lens issue, there would still be music at load up, among other things. (the Sega CD didn't just load a game immediately, it had an intro screen). However, since I have the second-style model of the Sega CD, I can't help. I'd suggest trying DevNall's idea, as it sounds like a good solution, and really does sound like the problem.
-G1

That Other Person
Lostest Boy

Well, I already tried cleaning it once, but not with an eraser, so I'll try it with one. Can't hurt.