Bleh

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Bleh

Post by Roas Atrades »

Okay, so Spike TV has it's uses, but I really hate this time of year when they start pimping their so called "Video Game Awards".

The VGA's are one of the most stupid excuses for poser gamers to run wild about games that any schmo can pick up and play without any sort of skill.

For this BS fest to be called the greatest Videogame Experience on TV is the bigges load in the virtual/digital world. I mean, they never give truly great games a fair shake. All they want to do is flaunt the current hype games without giving true props to real games.

This thing is no better than those BS battles that Gamefaqs.com has. :evil:
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Considering they gave Madden the game of the year the first time they did it, hell no. I stopped watching at that point and never turned back to it. I'm not a fan of Spike anymore anyways, cause they cancelled my Highlander.
-G1

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

My fiance who is a big fighting game player is disgusted by it as well. He said he thinks that Tekken 5 may be one of the nomination but that other crappy fighters are as well. I think one he mentioned was one the Mortal Kombat games and DoA (Dead or Alive). He said he will be highly surprised if Soul Calibur is a nominee and if it (or any technical fighter) wins. I think he's also upset because other games such as games under the Guilty Gear and Street Fighter titles are not present.

I don't know anything about it though, so I don't know if those games will be added or if they are indeed a nominee for best fighting game. My fiance said Mortal Kombat or DoA will probably win and he's completely disgusted haha. I'm interested in seeing it for the heck of it, but if I miss it I won't be upset either. I saw a preview the other day and I wasn't too impressed.

Jyd3n
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jyd3n »

Yeah, Spike TV is TV for guys not games. If you want accurate rankings for games made in a year go to G4 TechTV or get the magazines that have best games of the year.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

I know that G4 is made specifically for games (obviously), but I find that I don't tend to agree with them much either. I mean, they are responsible for that show that completely bashed Lunar and few other games that I feel got a very unfair (and unprofessional) review. But maybe I've become biased because of that.

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Jyd3n wrote:Yeah, Spike TV is TV for guys not games. If you want accurate rankings for games made in a year go to G4 TechTV or get the magazines that have best games of the year.

Honestly, G4 and magazines are no better half the time. They pander to the posers (like that one? :D ). I've never ever agreed with any magazine ranking system all the way back to the old Nintendo power game of the year lists. I always hated those things.

EGM is a piece of crap now, the console centric mags are always stupid, GamePro is one of the oldest whores still walking the streets, and I haven't had Game Informer long enough to see one of theirs, but I doubt I will be impressed when I see it.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

To be honest I don't know why game magazines still do those "Greatest Games of All Time" articles because they're usually all the same when it comes down to the top 5 games. Just as Sephiroth usually wins best villian ever.... I think he was pretty cool, but I was never apart of his huge fandom, I really don't understand it. I guess it's 'cus he dresses in black leather, has long hair and a long sword? I guess it would help though if I really like FF7. I thought it was a cool game, don't get me wrong, but I never understood the hype completely. I realize it was the first 3-d RPG, or at least that's what I've been told, so in that way it revolutionized RPGs, but really, other than being really long, I just don't understand ^^;

Anyhow, I digress, most game magazines look the same to me other than the titles. It's like movies, I never listen to reviews, I watch whatever interests me, and likewise for games, I play'em if they look interesting. I find that the majority of the time I tend to like games that get bad reviews. But, maybe that's just me :)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

It wasn't even the first 3D RPG. It was just the first 3D RPG that went mainstream.
-G1

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

GhaleonOne wrote:It wasn't even the first 3D RPG. It was just the first 3D RPG that went mainstream.

The original Wild ARMs came out before it :)

That was a good game. I wonder how Alter Code F will be as a remake?

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

PrettyGirlJean wrote:I know that G4 is made specifically for games (obviously), but I find that I don't tend to agree with them much either. I mean, they are responsible for that show that completely bashed Lunar and few other games that I feel got a very unfair (and unprofessional) review. But maybe I've become biased because of that.

I do like that you made the G4-TechTV distinction.

TechTV was awesome. G4 was crap. They merged and slowly G4's crap took over. Well, more like it quickly took over. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I miss the old Tech TV. :/ Screen Savers!!!

And as for Spike TV... yeah, I don't think that their game ratings are too good. I've noticed a slight tendancy to have award shows for lots of stuff on there. Like they had the vehicle awards that one time. Didn't watch them.

Really, I only watch Spike for Star Trek: TNG. And I don't do that very often at all, since I'm normally busy when it comes on.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

scaryice
Student of Vane

Post by scaryice »

PrettyGirlJean wrote:To be honest I don't know why game magazines still do those "Greatest Games of All Time" articles because they're usually all the same when it comes down to the top 5 games. Just as Sephiroth usually wins best villian ever.... I think he was pretty cool, but I was never apart of his huge fandom, I really don't understand it. I guess it's 'cus he dresses in black leather, has long hair and a long sword? I guess it would help though if I really like FF7. I thought it was a cool game, don't get me wrong, but I never understood the hype completely. I realize it was the first 3-d RPG, or at least that's what I've been told, so in that way it revolutionized RPGs, but really, other than being really long, I just don't understand ^^;

FF6 came out in 1994. It was a long 3 year wait until FF7 came out, plus it was the first final fantasy on the Playstation. Also, it was one of the first RPGs here in America with a huge marketing campaign and build up.